Top reason people hate Goseiger:

[hide]Because its not Shinkenger[/hide]

129021627959443770.jpg

Eye See You
Worst Sentai:

Go-Onger and Fiveman.

I think Turboranger gets a bum rap. A lot of people will just see the fairy and write it off as stupid without giving it a chance. For those who have watched the show, the general consensus is that it starts off slow, but picks up halfway through when new villains join. :shrug: The show's definitely not on the same level as what the writer did in his Change through Live shows, but I don't think it's as weak or generic as Fiveman, though.

This. Once Yamimaru & Kirika join forces it's all uphill from there.

Takeuchi's one Red role blows away Fukuzawa's several, IMO.

It was a nice change for Fukuzawa to not be red for Magiranger & Goseiger but I still prefer him over anyone else that is doing suit work right now.

Kuuguitar

129021627959443770.jpg

That's actually a valid point. Like Kiva, it's got a few things it could have done better, but both shows just have the misfortune to be sandwiched in between a fan favorite series (both written by Kobayashi) and an anniversary series.

二番目の翻訳者
^ Eh, that's pretty dismissive. While that may explain why it's a meme to hate on Goseiger or Kiva, for the most part I'd rather give people credit for knowing their own tastes and say they don't like one or the other because... the shows were pretty mediocre, and what they do well isn't what most fans want.

When you get right down to it I think most people would be happiest if they could really get into every series that came out. It's just, the shows themselves don't always make that possible.

Besides, Den-O and Decade both get more than their share of serious hate, and it's usually not from people who think Kiva's better...

^ Eh, that's pretty dismissive. While that may explain why it's a meme to hate on Goseiger or Kiva, for the most part I'd rather give people credit for knowing their own tastes and say they don't like one or the other because... the shows were pretty mediocre, and what they do well isn't what most fans want.

When you get right down to it I think most people would be happiest if they could really get into every series that came out. It's just, the shows themselves don't always make that possible.

Besides, Den-O and Decade both get more than their share of serious hate, and it's usually not from people who think Kiva's better...

True, but I think at least in Den-O's case it's a bird of a different color. I at least, and many others I know, dislike it simply because we're TIRED of it. Okay, we get it. It was popular. We can understand the extra movie. But we're how many years now from Den-O and he's STILL popping up? HOW many movies and specials has he had? The series itself was fine. It was a bit quirky but it was fun and most people would have liked to remember it fondly as it was.

......buuuuut then they milked the **** out of it. Now, at least in my eyes, I just want it to END.

As for the aforementioned Sentais....out of those that I've seen, I like Magiranger, frankly. It had it's odd moments but it wasn't bad. Decent progression. It wasn't like Meemey just showed up out of left field with little to no explanation. *cough*everyvillainingoseiger*cough* It may have had some cheesy moments and Harry Potter-esque gimmicks, but at the end of the day it was fun.

All in all for Goseiger it seemed to me like we were missing something integral to the point of the thing. Something someone either forgot to say or expected us to know. Something that would have put all our questions into some context even if they weren't answered. By the time I'd stopped watching, no one had given us that answer. I liked the series in a way, and looking back I kinda wanna watch it again to see if maybe the piece I'm at least missing clicks, but the bottom line at least for me is that it felt like there were missing pieces we were supposed to know but no one told us.

Go-Onger....man, anyone who picks on that series is too serious on themselves. I understand if you can't get into it. That's fine. It's completely understandable. But in reality, looking back on it, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It was...it's like Fourze is now. It's fun, it's wacky, it's not often serious if at all. It simply is what it is, and that's not some people's cup of tea.

Nice post!!
_Turboranger
_Fiveman: a poor title, a poor song, a boring show.

Turboranger and Fiveman mainly get picked on because of how they compare to what came before. Prior to Turboranger, all of the Soda-written shows steadily got better and better. Turbo is where he begins to show definite signs of burnout and Fiveman can feel pretty phoned-in, story-wise.

Modern fans tend not to hold very negative opinions of these shows, because for the most part, modern fans haven't seen any of Soda's highly-reputed 80s shows like Liveman or Changeman. If you show Turboranger to someone who's never seen Sentai prior to Go-onger, they tend to think it's pretty badass.

_Ohranger: a show whose story was edited because of what happened in Tokyo this year, and that became annoying because of those changings.

I don't think this is a case where people actually dislike the show so much as they're frustrated by the lost potential. All of the serious parts of Ohranger have been popular pretty much for as long as I've been in the fandom, which is a long time. The comedy parts of Ohranger aren't as well-realized as what other shows at the time were doing, so they're not remembered fondly.

_Magiranger: a Harry Potter Sentai, a bad sentai because the theme of magic doesnt fit with SS.

Magiranger is not a show that anyone with good sense argues is bad. That said, a lot of long-term fans found Magiranger's hyperactive comedy style an extremely annoying turnoff when the show debuted. By comparison, more modern fans are very likely to rank it as one of their absolute favorites because they can more easily accept its style as part of Sentai.

Magiranger is divisive because of its style, but that's not the same as accusing the show of being bad. Diehards who hate the goofy comedy these days usually fixate more on Go-onger, anyway, which took Magiranger's comedy style and either honed it to perfection or wretched excess, depending on your perspective.

_Goseiger: a SS with an empty story.

Goseiger is criticized more often for empty characters than for anything about its story. The empty characters criticism is an entirely valid one, too, I'm not sure any of the Goseiger characters is dynamic and as static characters they're still appallingly underdeveloped. The show had an interesting concept for its Red, but the idea was clearly stymied by the weakness of his supporting cast.

Goseiger was I think meant to be a throwback to earlier days of tokusatsu, when the main cast tended to be fairly bland. Fans excused this because other characters, like the villains, would be developed into extremely memorable characters who made the heroes seem more interesting just by fighting them.

While Goseiger had some memorable villains by modern standards, though, it only had one strong enough to be worth comparing to the villains of classic Sentai (and the comparison wouldn't be entirely favorable). Goseiger's three-faction gimmick was handled such that most of its villains couldn't be developed in any sort of memorable way.

If you have boring characters fighting mostly boring villains, then you've got a show that's going to bore most people regardless of whatever else you can find to praise about it. Any comments about Goseiger's story being "empty" probably stem from that. Modern Sentai fans expect these shows to be full of over-the-top gimmicky characters and Goseiger's cast just didn't cut it.

Do you think those show deserve these opinions?

A TV show is an inanimate object. It doesn't deserve or not deserve anything in particular. The show isn't hurt if people sit around and talk about it, either as something good or bad. Whether or not fans tend to generally like or dislike something frequently says more about the fans and why they come to the show than anything else.

When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men

Watched Shikenger, didn't interest me that much either

Same with a lot of the modern sentai except Geki and Aba

When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
Why do people keep saying Alata was incompetent? I thought he was a great red. He learned stuff along the way, and become a great leader in the end.

Probably because he was the most vulnerable Red we've ever had

It's the same reason TONS of people dislike Kiva because of Wataru

To the point where they HAD to make a fan edit (and Otoya was the worst part of Kiva)

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Zyuranger
Zyuranger typically tends to get a free pass solely base on that fact that Saban used it to create MMPR

I don't have low self esteem.
*TurboRanger.. Interesting but not much to say about it judging from what I've watched so far..

*Fiveman, same with TurboRanger but it had a pretty cool beginning. I actually liked the intro. Come on!! It's really cool!!

"WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA MY BROTHER!! WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA MY SISTER!!"

*OhRanger.. Can't say much but it seems interesting..

*MagiRanger.. Meh.. It's okay, you'll enjoy it if you can cope with the campyness..

*Goseiger.. THIS IS BLASPHEMY!!! THIS IS MADNESS!!!

Madness?

THIS IS THE WORST SUPER SENTAI EEEEEEEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*kicks Gosei Red in the gut*

Nice post!!
Probably because he was the most vulnerable Red we've ever had

This is not true by any means. Now, it's true that Gosei Red doesn't have the total infallibility typical of modern Reds, and the actor certainly lacked the physical presence of a Tori Matsuzaka, but this also goes back to Goseiger being a 90s throwback.

Actual 90s Reds more vulnerable than Alata:

- Tyranno Ranger, who gets an entire story arc of his brother berating him for being incompetent (whereas Gosei Red wins all of his major fights without help);
- Red Racer, who is diagetically incompetent (the entire plot of Ohranger vs. Carranger is about how bad he sucks compared to Oh Red);
- Ninja Red, who is diagetically self-absorbed and stupid (this is why Ninja White is the leader, Sasuke is unreliable);
- Ginga Red, who is diagetically inferior to his brother and wasn't supposed to be the Red Ranger at all;
- Mega Red, who is diagetically an idiot unfit to lead the team because he's inclined to only care about Korean BBQ and video games;
- Time Red, who is at the center of a complex conspiracy plot and is manipulated without his knowledge throughout the series.

The only super-competent Reds of the 90s are:

- Red Hawk, who's meant to contrast the other team members being totally untrained amateurs;
- OhRed, who's meant as an 80s throwback;
- Ryuuranger, who like all the Dairangers is a stone badass;
- Go Red, who is sort of an ideal Japanese big brother type.

Goseiger's director had last directed Sentai in the 90s, so there you go. Alata is a logical extension of what Sentai did with Reds back then. He's just going to be a rude awakening for people used to characters like Sousuke and Takeru who never struggle with anything.

By those standards, though, every Red of the 80s would be a pussy because he had to fight villains who weren't mindless punching bags. The real problem is that modern Sentai villains are so weak, people don't know how to react to a Red being portrayed in a fight that's not depicted as basically one-sided.