"Let's DRIVING!!!!!"
negative reaction towards GoGoFive? that's just ridiculous. among the sibling teams, GoGoFive definitely handled the family theme best.

Yeah, who in their right minds would have a negative reaction towards GoGo-V?! Seriously, that was the best Sibling-based Sentai show I have ever seen. But regardless, Magiranger still has a place in my heart.

What reason drove scenarists to make villains weaker?

I assume it its to tone down the "violence" supersentais are blamed for, but maybe there is another reason.

I wonder if this is not because nowadays, in a way, "being cool" is more important than doing efforts.So making cool heroes rather than working hard ones is more marketting friendly.

I dont agree on seeing Takeru as a non vulnerable red ranger.He had a psychological fight with himself, thats a way to be vulnerable.

And Red Hawk had a crysis with Maria plot.Of course he is very strong physically, but vulnerability is not only about brute force.He had times of mental vulnerability.

It is hard to have an opinion on old sentais, because i assume from what i saw in videos that they grant less importance to psychology.

Goshiro in Bioman never met a true crysis, except when he discovers who his father is, but this is because the whole sentai is rather linear compared to modern shows.

I'm surprised noone mentioned Abaranger as being seen as a bad sentai; here at HJU, Aba is mostly enjoyed, but in other forums (like Ranger board or elsewhere), especially when it aired, I've read a lot of harsh stuff about it because of its silliness, the talking dinos, the over the top comedy, and many said that PR Dino Thunder was much better; I guess that since, Go-onger overshadowed it in silliness

About the series mentioned in the first post: Turboranger; it's pretty hard to come after Changeman, Flashman, Maskman and Liveman; moreover the series had a lighter tone, so it looked bad; Turbo is a personal favorite, notably because it has one of my favorite characters of the whole sentai franchise; Tsukikage Sayoko/ Kirika
Fiveman: same problem, and the series lacked in originality and was pretty childish ; even if the sibling team idea was fine, it wasn't as well done as it would be later in Gogofive; besides, after episode 20, I feel the story stalls and it goes nowhere during some time; and the puppets made it worse; that said, the beginning is fine, and starting with episode 37, the series becomes better
Ohranger: that series has a bad reputation, because it has suffered from behind the scenes trouble,after the Sarin subway attack; I think Ohranger is fine and has a lot of good ideas, especially when it comes about the mechas; in my opinion, the main problem is that the villains only begin to be interesting after Bacchusfundo's death (a problem I think Gokaiger has too; after all, both have an evil empire from space as antagonists)
Magi: the critics: a lot of bland heroes, silly characters (like Mandora and Smoky), some rushed stroylines (like Vancurya turning "good", or Urara/Hikaru); in my opinion, Magi has many flaws, but also many great ideas, an interesting storyline, and a well developed universe; so it's a fine series in my opinion
Goseiger: I don't like that series, that I feel can have interesting ideas (Buredoran/ Brajira, Goseiknight) but the heroes are mostly bland and most of the villains are either not interesting or wasted potential, notably because they don't have enough time to have development

Last edited:
What reason drove scenarists to make villains weaker?

I assume it its to tone down the "violence" supersentais are blamed for, but maybe there is another reason.

I wonder if this is not because nowadays, in a way, "being cool" is more important than doing efforts.So making cool heroes rather than working hard ones is more marketting friendly.

I dont agree on seeing Takeru as a non vulnerable red ranger.He had a psychological fight with himself, thats a way to be vulnerable.

And Red Hawk had a crysis with Maria plot.Of course he is very strong physically, but vulnerability is not only about brute force.He had times of mental vulnerability.

It is hard to have an opinion on old sentais, because i assume from what i saw in videos that they grant less importance to psychology.

Goshiro in Bioman never met a true crysis, except when he discovers who his father is, but this is because the whole sentai is rather linear compared to modern shows.

in my opinion, the less intersting villains have been done before violence was toned down in sentai; for example, most villains before Dynaman in super sentai were one dimensional, static, since they have to stay until the end, despite having no real plot; likewise, I feel that in Metal Hero, villains only really began to be interesting starting with Juspion, with Metalder having well developed villains.
In recent sentai, there has been a lot of well done villains and villainesses, like Rio, Mele, Long, Dayu, Juuzo, and Brajira is certainly the best thing about Goseiger

When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
I'm surprised noone mentioned Abaranger as being seen as a bad sentai; here at HJU, Aba is mostly enjoyed, but in other forums (like Ranger board or elsewhere), especially when it aired, I've read a lot of harsh stuff about it because of its silliness, the talking dinos, the over the top comedy, and many said that PR Dino Thunder was much better; I guess that since, Go-onger overshadowed it in silliness

Talking dinosaurs are reasonable (Jim Henson's "Dinosaurs" and Don Bluth's "We're Back: A Dinosaur Story" for instance), talking cars aren't (except for Kitt), so I hardly see how anyone could find them silly. Also, keep in mind that HJU and Rangerboard are forums for discussing "JAPANESE KIDS SHOWS", so there is no such thing as "Too Silly"

But have you actually watched Abaranger for yourself?

If so, please don't take anything anyone else says into account until then

Talking dinosaurs are reasonable (Jim Henson's "Dinosaurs" and Don Bluth's "We're Back: A Dinosaur Story" for instance), talking cars aren't (except for Kitt), so I hardly see how anyone could find them silly. Also, keep in mind that HJU and Rangerboard are forums for discussing "JAPANESE KIDS SHOWS", so there is no such thing as "Too Silly"

But have you actually watched Abaranger for yourself?

If so, please don't take anything anyone else says into account until then

Have you seen my pseudo? Live jetabare; Abaranger is my personal favorite :laugh:
By the way, "Cars" and "Cars 2": animated movies with talking cars

二番目の翻訳者
Zyuranger typically tends to get a free pass solely base on that fact that Saban used it to create MMPR

Really? My impression was that most people compare it unfavorably to MMPR and the free pass it gets is mostly based on DragonRanger. (And maybe the fact that the toys are awesome.)

Magiranger is a great series, you shouldn't listen to anyone claiming it was bad. My only complaint about it was the fact it took far too long for the interesting villains to come into it.

Go-onger isn't as bad as a lot of people here claim. It was clearly produced as more of a kids show and it has a lot of humour to it that a lot of people may not really like (or understand, if you're going with TV-Nihon) but I thought it was a very fun series.

Goseiger.. I liked to begin with. I thought the suit designs were nice, the story was pretty interesting and the idea of using cards to give them different powers was a fantastic idea. I even thought the idea of the headers, to create a customisable mecha was a cool idea.. But none of it really came together, the show makes really poor use of what it has. The cards aren't used in an interesting way and the characters have zero development, showing almost random interests episode after episode and only ever winning the day because "we have to believe!".

The show isn't hated because it came after Shinkenger, it was just a poor show. The only redeeming features are Goseiknight and the villains. This is one show where I'm sure the American adaption will be a lot better, since they can take the ideas and actually do something with them.

Goseiger.. I liked to begin with. I thought the suit designs were nice, the story was pretty interesting and the idea of using cards to give them different powers was a fantastic idea. I even thought the idea of the headers, to create a customisable mecha was a cool idea.. But none of it really came together, the show makes really poor use of what it has. The cards aren't used in an interesting way and the characters have zero development, showing almost random interests episode after episode and only ever winning the day because "we have to believe!".

The show isn't hated because it came after Shinkenger, it was just a poor show. The only redeeming features are Goseiknight and the villains. This is one show where I'm sure the American adaption will be a lot better, since they can take the ideas and actually do something with them.

That is assuming that Saban can hire tolerable actors that don't screw the show up. So far under the Lynn-less Tzachor (Wild Force and Samurai), Tzachor hasn't shown he even knows what good acting is.

Last edited:
Kuuguitar
That is assuming that Saban can hire tolerable actors that screw the show up. So far under the Lynn-less Tzachor (Wild Force and Samurai), Tzachor hasn't shown he even knows what good acting is.

Not to mention mindless plot copy-pasting. Watching Gaoranger after Wild Force really showed me that there wasn't much to miss, and Wild Force's only advantages relative to Gaoranger were the teamup episodes.

Also, solid points about Goseiger there Lynx. I think it's no surprise that Alata and GoseiKnight seem to be the only interesting characters so far.