Ffixbox.jpg

As the title says, did random encounters annoy you since, unless you're playing the steam or mobile version, there isn't a way to reduce or eliminate random encounter chance in this game unlike the previous games ?
FF8 has the enc-none ability, which completely removes random encounters IIRC. FF7 has the enemy-away which reduces the chance of random encounter occurring by a significant percentage.
Also do you think having a no encounter mode in the Steam and mobile version significantly improves the game ?

Well, for me I think I am used to random encounter for it has been the game mechanics of JRPG for years. For a player that is used to JRPG, I think it is tolerable, but I think the reason why they introduced the "No Encounter Mode" is for the new players that are just starting to play this kind of games. I think there has been some research that new generation players don't tend to appreciate games with a ton of random battles and encounters. Players output towards the game is now starting to reflect on the games released unlike before.

Well, for me I think I am used to random encounter for it has been the game mechanics of JRPG for years. For a player that is used to JRPG, I think it is tolerable, but I think the reason why they introduced the "No Encounter Mode" is for the new players that are just starting to play this kind of games. I think there has been some research that new generation players don't tend to appreciate games with a ton of random battles and encounters. Players output towards the game is now starting to reflect on the games released unlike before.
While they make the early game more exciting, in that you can possibly have some tough battles with monsters that are too powerful for your party, random encounters just start getting annoying later in the game. It starts becoming especially annoying once your party gets powerful enough to dispatch monsters with ease (making the battles somewhat boring ) yet you have to keep stopping to fight them.
BTW it's not a just a staple of older JRPG's as some western cRPG's have it as well like Wasteland and I believe (early) Fallout series.

While they make the early game more exciting, in that you can possibly have some tough battles with monsters that are too powerful for your party, random encounters just start getting annoying later in the game. It starts becoming especially annoying once your party gets powerful enough to dispatch monsters with ease (making the battles somewhat boring ) yet you have to keep stopping to fight them.
BTW it's not a just a staple of older JRPG's as some western cRPG's have it as well like Wasteland and I believe (early) Fallout series.
I am not that familiar with Wasteland and Fallout series, but I have to agree that when your character has too much level, random encounters become annoying especially when you are on a certain quest. Well, I think that items in the game itself that repels encounter can be one of the solutions.

I am not that familiar with Wasteland and Fallout series, but I have to agree that when your character has too much level, random encounters become annoying especially when you are on a certain quest. Well, I think that items in the game itself that repels encounter can be one of the solutions.
You should check them out, they are great games, and in many ways similar to older FF games.
Items, spells and even skills are used to reduce chances of random encounters in various games, and I've already mentioned the ways of doing that in FF7 and FF8.
Or, they can just get rid of random encounters completely. They are not needed, and serve mostly to artificially lengthen the game.

Hmm. Somtimes I find random encounters annoying when it is too much in a particular area and at the same time, it makes me as a gamer to have patience because this will make your characters to level up and become more powerful. Talking about the items or anything that can lessen the random encounter, for me, it must be present in the game because not all gamers are the same some will be annoyed of these monsters coming up from nowhere like spams.

You should check them out, they are great games, and in many ways similar to older FF games.
Items, spells and even skills are used to reduce chances of random encounters in various games, and I've already mentioned the ways of doing that in FF7 and FF8.
Or, they can just get rid of random encounters completely. They are not needed, and serve mostly to artificially lengthen the game.
I think they can also add an additional feature to the game that enables or disable random encounters especially when you are outside of town. I have to agree that it was a trend back then to artificially lengthen the game by providing a ton of random encounters.

I remember running into issues with this and having streaks where it was just unwanted encounter after another. I get it and it is one of those things that might make sense but in practice is rather annoying.

If the random encounters are kept at the lowest minimum, I don't have any issues with going at it every once in a while but when it's repeating too often, then I would boldly say that it's very annoying because it takes my focus away from my actual game plan.

I don't have problems either with random encounters, I see it as a part of the game, something to keep me at the tip of my toes. As for improving the game with no encounters, I suppose it depends on each one's preferences.