Administrator
Staff member
Character models of Final Fantasy 1 to 6 are Chibi and small because of the limited 16 bit technology then. But in artworks they are tall or average sized people. In Dissidia they are normal sized. Final Fantasy 7 characters are chibi in some segments but they are normal sized in cut scenes and also in game spin offs.

In Dissidia , Zidane is very short and petite. So does it mean FF9 characters are really short? Garnet is also small in Dissidia.

Zidane is supposed to be 173 cm tall, Garnet 164 according to FF wiki. They are both 16 years old so they are most definitely not supposed to be midgets, although they do look pretty short.

I think they were made to look like the way they are to adjust the resolution. They don't seem like the midgets. I do see them to more or less like shorty elf type size. But yeah that;s a good point on the perception of the size. So that's the thing to consider there.

Administrator
Staff member
Imagine final fantasy 1 to 7 characters are taller than them canonically. I hope the big headed petite people art style won't be used on a future numbered sequel.

Well it hasn't been used for some time now, at least for main entries in the series. FFX - FFXV characters look normal, to me at least.

I am not really sure what to make of that one, but I agree with the maybe it is a resolution thing or an eye thing. Kind of makes me want to see what it would be like though.

Administrator
Staff member
I am not really sure what to make of that one, but I agree with the maybe it is a resolution thing or an eye thing. Kind of makes me want to see what it would be like though.
They remained short in Dissidia. Not really a resolution thing, it is intentional. Characters from 1 to 7 are tall in dissidia.

Administrator
Staff member
Well it hasn't been used for some time now, at least for main entries in the series. FFX - FFXV characters look normal, to me at least.
This art style though are still used on spin offs like Kingdom Hearts and the mobile Final Fantasy games.

The characters are different ages as well in Final Fantasy 9-Zidane is 16 and Vivi is 9, also Garnet is 16, Steiner(loyal knight) is 33- but I would say the game does have a childish looking character design and is maybe not to appealing in a visual way to some people. Once people play this game though, it becomes one of their favorites!

Administrator
Staff member
The characters are different ages as well in Final Fantasy 9-Zidane is 16 and Vivi is 9, also Garnet is 16, Steiner(loyal knight) is 33- but I would say the game does have a childish looking character design and is maybe not to appealing in a visual way to some people. Once people play this game though, it becomes one of their favorites!
Though I don't like this art style, 9 is actually a well received game and it's art style is used by the remakes of 3 and 4. So there is a market for midget models. :D

Despite of those remakes using the 9 art style the Final Fantasy 3 and 4 characters are tall in cutscenes.