Lurker
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHVrnZZwbQc"]Sonic Underground Intro - YouTube[/ame]

Yes, that's right, thanks to the reruns on Disney XD, the third and final of the 90s Sonic cartoons is to be revisited in the pages of Archie Comics.

The show featured Sonic battling Dr. Robotnik with the help of his twin siblings Manic and Sonia. Over the course of the series, they utlizied their powerful musical instruments to stir up not only trouble, but a catchy (or irritatingly infectious) song and dance routine, all while on a quest to find their mother (which they sorta do very quickly in the show, but for one reason or another, let her slip through their fingers), fulfill a prophecy and form the ruling council that will bring about a new Golden Age on Mobius!

http://www.destructoid.com/exclusive...e-236442.phtml

The story will be written by Sonic's current top scribe Ian Flynn and will be published in Sonic Universe, beggining with Issue 50.

Hmm...I'm a bit mixed on Underground, some eps I like (like the Queen's near marraige to Robotnik, the Floating Island trilogy etc) but I could really do with less of the musical numbers. Still, bubbling beneath the surface of a corny show was a strong premise and I hope it gets fleshed out here. I'd love to know who Sonic, Manic and Sonia's father was and what happened to him.)

DAIMON PAWNCH
Wonder how this will go in the comics. The only characters so far named "Sonia" and "Manic" are Sonic's kids from the Light X years later...

so perhaps another trip into the future?

Perhaps we will finally find out what exactly it was that King Sonic went into the past to fix

Lurker
No, this is going to be set in the universe of the cartoon, not a follow-up to the "X Years Later" stories, Sonia and Manic are Sonic's siblings in the show, and they will be here (though yes, it is a bit ackward there his and Sally's kids, but in the case of "X Years Later", that was just supposed to be fanwank made at a time they didnt think they would ever do a follow-up to Underground)

DAIMON PAWNCH
No, this is going to be set in the universe of the cartoon, not a follow-up to the "X Years Later" stories, Sonia and Manic are Sonic's siblings in the show, and they will be here (though yes, it is a bit ackward there his and Sally's kids, but in the case of "X Years Later", that was just supposed to be fanwank made at a time they didnt think they would ever do a follow-up to Underground)

I knew that... but I didn't know if it was going to be Archie series doing an "Underground" story... but they are doing a separate comic? I guess it will be one of the other multiverses, such as anti-mobius?

edit: Just looked it up, Sonic Underground had been in the comics before. They met with Zonic, when Evil Sonic (pre-Scourge) gave the pieces to the wrong Eggman (Underground). So I'm looking forward to this

Last edited:
You'd think, as a Sonic fan, I'd have something to say about all this. But I really don't.

Sonic Underground, of all the Sonic cartoons, was one of the worst ones ever made. The comics, which explored a deeper lore than the games ever will, was never something that interested me. So, I guess they are a perfect fit for each other? :shrug:

Well, it's there for whoever wants it, I guess.

Lurker
True, like I said above, the show was corny but had an interesting premise that in the hands of seasoned writers, it can be interesting.

I used to be a big Archie Sonic fan, but even with the sharp refocus Flynn has given the book since the "dork age" of the 2000s, it's just an endless loop like the video games...outside of some choice fan fave side characters (mainly just Bunnie and Antwoine), the main ones never grow up or learn different things. Part of the reason I count the "X Years Later" stories as the real canon, because at least there Sonic and Sally were allowed to mature (though how Sega approved a married Sonic I'll never know, probably the excuse was it was an AU and didnt "count")

(though how Sega approved a married Sonic I'll never know, probably the excuse was it was an AU and didnt "count")

The key word here is approve. Sega, most likely just Sega of America since Archie comics and the American cartoons are NOT in circulation in Japan, only gives Archie the A-Okay without ever fully reading into the material. As long as the official game characters aren't portrayed in a way that goes EXTREMELY against the image that Sega has in mind, they could care less how deeply they explore the lore, develop the characters, attach new characters, and so fourth.

Treasure Cards of the Underworld
I doubt Sega of America doesn't give that little a sh*t about stuff. For some reason, for example, they're EXTREMELY adamant about not having Eggman Nega in the comics but never really seem to give a good reason. They were apparently also reluctant to have Archie use the Neo Metal Sonic design at all. :B

Really? I'd love to know where you get your information. But if that is true, then I think Sega has to have their legal reasons. I have heard that Sega hasn't always been on good terms with everyone at Archie. I've heard crazy things about a certain Ken Penders.

Either way, I'm just not an Archie Sonic supporter. Archie's version basically took SatAM and rolled with it, heavily. The game universe has NEVER reflected it and the stories were meant to be something TOTALLY different. To this day, I am still perplexed how chillidogs have suddenly become canon in the games. I'd rather have a comic that reflects the video game universe than the Archie universe any day. Although, to be fair, the art in the comics has gotten LEAGUES better than it has ever been.

DAIMON PAWNCH
remember it's been mentioned the X Years Later stories are just a possibility. There is two different stories that deals with the future that have been told, the Light One (one with King Sonic) a dark one (which deals with a younger Lara-su, and a evil knuckles)