Chief HJU News Editor
I'm going for it this year, I'm planning for Level 4, though may have to be Level 5 if I really don't get my arse into gear and learn a lot harder. Any one done it or going to do it? I'm trying to get into a routine everyday of going through kanji, but have no solid method. Any tips?

EDIT: Thread name change to JLPT plz, d'oh.

I'm taking JLPT Level 2 this year. :)
I have a certificate for JLPT Level 3 (pre-format changes)

Raxbait: Hip
I've always heard about this tests. What are they exactly? And what are each level based on?

it's to see how good is your Japanese.
there used to be four levels, Level 1 (Further Advanced), Level 2 (Advanced), Level 3 (Intermediate) and Level 4 (Basic).
now there's 5 levels, where there is an extra level in between Level 2 and Level 3.

I'm not sure about your country, but I apply for them through my language school. :)

Chief HJU News Editor
Every city in the world will have a place to do it, you just need to look online and register. The tests aren't easy though, you will need to study and take lessons. I believe it's on December 5th this year, right?

Good luck on level 2, Jacky392000. Have you come across any of the previous years tests? Wanted to have a go at one and see what kind of level I'm at and know what's to come.

my teachers provide the previous years test papers, but where to find it on your own, I've no clue. :sweat:

it's to see how good is your Japanese.
there used to be four levels, Level 1 (Further Advanced), Level 2 (Advanced), Level 3 (Intermediate) and Level 4 (Basic).
now there's 5 levels, where there is an extra level in between Level 2 and Level 3.

I've listened to people talk about Level 1 and to me it basically sounds like at that point its not so much comprehension as it a giant vocabulary test. Am I wrong?

And what level is conversational? I'm guessing Level 2 or Level 1 if I've been lied to.

Of course, even with that, with all the slang, you're still not quite conversational. >_<

Last edited:
Twitter - @MisturYellow
This is something I would do if I had been able to take Japanese classes, I would've defintely gone all the way with these things. Unfortunately, nothing like that around here...