So, out of curiosity, I went to Marvel.com to watch Toei Spider-Man.

... and Marvel (remember, they own the copyright) were hosting it on Youtube.

Three guesses what error message I got.

That's right, Marvel got hit with a copyright takedown on something they fricking own.

Yeah, this is one of the millions of reasons I prefer to buy physical media such as DVDs, or else download.

Do they really own the Japanese show though? For example, Marvel owns the X-men franchise, but not the movies.

D

Dr Kain

Toei is getting ridiculous with their copyright strikes. I had my Zyuohger review taken down and have been given a strike even though I followed everything of Fair Use. I keep submitting counter notifications on it, but they are just going on deaf ears because Youtube isn't doing jack****.

Solid Snake, this is on Marvel's official YT page. And it isn't just them. Sony had their movie trailers removed from their own Youtube channel by Youtube's automated system. Oh, and Watchmojo had their channel deleted by Fox even though Fox gave them permission to use their material.

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
YouTube is about to wake a sleeping giant. Good thing there is Kiss Asian.

YouTube's copyright strike system is in desperate need of overhaul, and with popular content creators like Nostalgia Critic and Markiplier bringing social media's attention to the Fair Use law, I'm sure we'll be seeing some serious changes soon.

D

Dr Kain

YouTube's copyright strike system is in desperate need of overhaul, and with popular content creators like Nostalgia Critic and Markiplier bringing social media's attention to the Fair Use law, I'm sure we'll be seeing some serious changes soon.

I hope so, but I highly doubt it. Nothing is going to change until Congress actually decides to fully update Fair Use for the 21st century.

Yep. YouTube's system is broken. I mean, I've heard about people getting a strike just for MENTIONING copyright protected material and not actually using any of it, but this is a surprisingly new low...

Personally, I wanted Marvel to release Japanese Spider-Man on DVD. I hate that I'm limited to stream only. I'll still support them, but I like having the best audio and video source possible, and I'm still a big supporter of owning physical copies of stuff.

I hope so, but I highly doubt it. Nothing is going to change until Congress actually decides to fully update Fair Use for the 21st century.

If change doesn't happen (which for YouTube's sake, it really needs to happen), then eventually something better will come along. A website similar to YouTube will come around and become popular over night, and all the major content creators who support the #WTFU movement will move to it and ask their followers to do same. The new website will protect the content creators and do what YouTube should have been doing in the first place. The end result being YouTube becoming a mostly deserted location except for studios that want to use it the same way they put their stuff on services like Netflix and Hulu. The YouTube Copyright Content ID system is so broken now, I might have to make my own #WTFU video before I start making the podcast I've been planning.

I vaguely recall Japanese Spiderman getting a DVD release over in Japan and people were saying that Toei had to negotiate with Marvel to once again have a license to the character rights so that they could put it out. Conversely Toei own the rights for that particular show so Marvel would have to negotiate with Toei to license the show for their use. If the web release was tied into the Japanese DVD release ("Let's swap some rights!") then maybe the deal has expired and once again neither party can currently do anything with the series?

Well, I wound up finding an... alternative way to see the series. I'm glad I did... even stuck with low-quality AVIs its a blast.

As for a successor to Youtube, for some of us that's already happening. When my review of Sailor Moon Crystal ep1 got a copyright strike, I moved to Zippcast, which is basically what Youtube used to be (IE good). Now I only post vlogs on Youtube, and even those I may move entirely to Zippcast.