General Discussion Amputee Controls Two Prosthetic Limbs With His Thoughts

Shawn Hopkins submitted a new blog post:

Amputee Controls Two Prosthetic Limbs With His Thoughts

Les Baugh lost both of his arms at the shoulder level to an electrical accident 40 years ago. It's a long time to adjust to life without them, to forget them.

But it's all coming back to him now thanks to new research at Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), where Baugh has shown he can use his mind to control high-tech Modular Prosthetic Limbs (MPLs) and complete everyday tasks.

Baugh underwent a surgery called targeted muscle...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

It amazes me where science/technology/medical breakthroughs have taken us. Prosthetics can also be created that allow the user to feel pain. Did you ever see the segment of the person who had an implant in his brain that allowed him to make computer selections, and draw, with his thoughts alone? Astounding!

That is so cool. There was actually a story line on Grey's anatomy about something similar and I wondered when I saw it if there was a program doing it in real life. The human brain is truly an amazing organ with what appears to be limitless potential.

Wow, that is amazing. Advances in this field have been huge over the past few years. Hopefully, this technology will become more widely available in the near future.