@Ryuuseipro: I agree. The genre 'tokusatsu' refers to live action movies and TV shows that incorporates special effects. Now if it's animated... It won't stay the same.

Now, as a fan of toku, I can recommend an outerspace toku say, a Star Trek or Star Wars meets Metal Heroes and Super Robot Wars. Then have a set of giant one-man henshin heroes robots with awesome designs.

What about that? Budget-wise, needs a lot of savings for that type of project for the prdxn staff, the acting crew and the CGI experts as well as the advertisment crew.

Tokusatsu has totally transcended its original meaning. I dont see why you couldnt do an animated tokusatsu with all the elements of a live action one: The transformation, the fights, the sparks, the kaijin. Why couldnt you do that animated and still call it a tokusatsu?

Rajio Showa Rider
That wouldn't be called tokusatsu, though. That would just be transforming superhero. In which case

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cG_yOU6fd0[/ame]

Lurker
Tokusatsu has totally transcended its original meaning. I dont see why you couldnt do an animated tokusatsu with all the elements of a live action one: The transformation, the fights, the sparks, the kaijin. Why couldnt you do that animated and still call it a tokusatsu?

Because Tokusatsu basically means 'Special Effects'. If you do it animated then it's a cartoon/anime.

Now if you use CG video mixed with live action scenes then it can be considered tokusatsu.

Original Ameritoku. A fan can only dream...

Can we say 'Mystic Knights of Tir na Nog'?

Because Tokusatsu basically means 'Special Effects'. If you do it animated then it's a cartoon/anime.

Now if you use CG video mixed with live action scenes then it can be considered tokusatsu.

Right again! Even anime like 8-Man, Gatchaman, Devilman, Casshern, etc., go in the general "Japanese superhero" category (or, as some might call it, J-Hero).

Tokusatsu is a Japanese special effects art form, or medium. It's not a genre; superheroes are a genre. And of course, tokusatsu is not limited to superhero shows.

Ok, fine, whatever.

I'm just saying, an animated series done in a toku-like style would be cheaper to do than a live-action toku.

No it hasn't. This ain't the English language, you can't just use a term improperly long enough and then the definition is expanded/changed.

It would be different were you talking about Japanese toku. For instance, if Toei one year aired its regular Super Sentai, but ALONG WITH THAT, an animated version to run a year (I'd love this). Now its still Tokusatsu because its just an animation of an established franchise.

But we don't have established franchises. If you create a series modeled after Toku, it'll be marked as a cartoon. There are already anime with kaijuu and transformations--no one calls them Tokusatsu.