No it hasn't. This ain't the English language, you can't just use a term improperly long enough and then the definition is expanded/changed.

It would be different were you talking about Japanese toku. For instance, if Toei one year aired its regular Super Sentai, but ALONG WITH THAT, an animated version to run a year (I'd love this). Now its still Tokusatsu because its just an animation of an established franchise.

But we don't have established franchises. If you create a series modeled after Toku, it'll be marked as a cartoon. There are already anime with kaijuu and transformations--no one calls them Tokusatsu.

Your logic is silly...

No it hasn't. This ain't the English language, you can't just use a term improperly long enough and then the definition is expanded/changed.

It would be different were you talking about Japanese toku. For instance, if Toei one year aired its regular Super Sentai, but ALONG WITH THAT, an animated version to run a year (I'd love this). Now its still Tokusatsu because its just an animation of an established franchise.

But we don't have established franchises. If you create a series modeled after Toku, it'll be marked as a cartoon. There are already anime with kaijuu and transformations--no one calls them Tokusatsu.

Right.

By the same token, anime isn't just about catgirls, schoolgirls, goths, cyberpunks, testosterone warriors, videogame fantasies, perverted tentacles, etc. Those are subgenres of the vast medium. It's just Japanese animation, pure and simple, and has more genre range than tokusatsu (which does not include the majority of TV dramas and such). Anime can even have an epic movie about talking dogs rallying against a killer tiger! (Toei did such a movie in 1963, called Bow Wow Chushingura.)

The problem is that it exists in a gulf.

If you do a live-action show for kids, you'l probably miss out on a good bit of the verve we here look for in these types of shows. They would skew younger, ostensibly in the Den-O direction (they'd play up the comedy a bit more), albeit with a lesser budget. Probably with a good bit of reused footage.

I doubt something like this will ever get made for teenagers.

For adults, it'd end up dropping things like henshins and special attack calls. The Guyver live-action movie is probably as close as it gets, with the real thing probably tending towards a number of the live-action superhero shows (Mantis, Dark Angel, Smallville - I'm going pretty broad here)

Chief HJU News Editor
Japanese is the same as any other language, definitions change. Like English.

Did kinda find it ironic when you put it as

This ain't the English language

Last edited:
Rajio Showa Rider
The problem is that it exists in a gulf.

If you do a live-action show for kids, you'l probably miss out on a good bit of the verve we here look for in these types of shows. They would skew younger, ostensibly in the Den-O direction (they'd play up the comedy a bit more), albeit with a lesser budget. Probably with a good bit of reused footage.

I doubt something like this will ever get made for teenagers.

For adults, it'd end up dropping things like henshins and special attack calls. The Guyver live-action movie is probably as close as it gets, with the real thing probably tending towards a number of the live-action superhero shows (Mantis, Dark Angel, Smallville - I'm going pretty broad here)
So something more along the lines of THE FIRST and THE NEXT?

"Let's DRIVING!!!!!"
I would like to see animated versions of Kamen Rider and many classic Tokusatsu shows, kinda like Kikaider The Animation.

Reason is because Americanized Tokusatsu with spliced footage isn't exactly popular for the general audience, especially since it's constantly compared to Power Rangers.

I would like to see an American Toku, but it would definitely have to be animated.

You're honestly just not gonna get a big enough audience for a live action show.

I'd like to see a series as mature as something like Justice League Unlimited.

Oddly, I actually agree with you.

Pony, please.
So, I'm studying film, and at some point would very much like to do my own kind of Japanese hero type show, which I'm sure many of you out there would like to do as well, but I thought it would be good to discuss things, since I have nothing better to do online these days :D

KICKHOPPER YOU ARE LIKE MY LONG-LOST SELF FROM THE FUTURE IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE.
Except you exist in the present in the same universe as I do. Anyway, I wanna study film cause of tokusatsu too. :p

I can't give a lot of input, but I think it's very possible to use the themes of tokusatsu without all the transforming heroes. My friends and I are currently making a watered-down version of Kamen Rider Double without transforming and with a fairly original story. It's lots of fun.

KICKHOPPER YOU ARE LIKE MY LONG-LOST SELF FROM THE FUTURE IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE.
Except you exist in the present in the same universe as I do. Anyway, I wanna study film cause of tokusatsu too. :p

I can't give a lot of input, but I think it's very possible to use the themes of tokusatsu without all the transforming heroes. My friends and I are currently making a watered-down version of Kamen Rider Double without transforming and with a fairly original story. It's lots of fun.

Its certainly possible, but I think people underestimate just how central the henshin is. Without it, honestly...its just an action series. Very common, and you don't have to make a big deal out of selling it to people since it could be aimed at all audiences.