In episode 2, when commenting on the Itassha Robo, Akagi says that the "combining robo" tradition started in Dynaman. Even though it started with Sun Vulcan. Or was that the joke?

1) The subs I'm watching say both "transforming" and "combining".

2) Transforming mecha began with Denjiman, not Dynaman.

Hmm, I'm just going by the OT subs that read the line as "This is a legacy of the Science Sentai, Dynaman". It might just be a part of his delusion by saying that Machine Itassha is derived from Dynaman tech. They weren't the first to have either a car or a transforming robot. Dyna Mobile was one of the individual machines that made up their robot, so perhaps it's considered the first car to be part of a mecha, but I don't see how it's any closer to a real car than the previous year's Goggle Dump? The only 'first' I can think of for Dynaman is that they were the first team to have spandex costumes, and that's one trend that Akibaranger didn't follow. :sweat:

More observations:

- Most of Akagi's delusions seem to come from Dekaranger and Boukenger. This is a late-night show, so I don't get why there would be any restriction to what shows they can reference like there theoretically would be with Gokaiger's Gokai Changes.

- What does Akagi's reference to Le Nefel in episode 4 mean? When was she known to step on people?

- It's ironic how "imagination power" in this show makes more sense than in ToQger, a real Sentai.

By the way, I wonder who that fake AkibaBlue Akagi strangles really was. Some random person in the store?

- Most of Akagi's delusions seem to come from Dekaranger and Boukenger. This is a late-night show, so I don't get why there would be any restriction to what shows they can reference like there theoretically would be with Gokaiger's Gokai Changes.
They were selling Boukenger and Dekaranger figuarts. Just like with regular Sentai, it just comes down to toy sales.

- It's ironic how "imagination power" in this show makes more sense than in ToQger, a real Sentai.
I'm actually rewatching Akibaranger myself, and I agree and disagree. I don't think it so much makes more sense as much as it is they're using two different types of imagination, and then focusing on it very differently. In ToQGer, the imagination they're talking about is a child's imagination (think back to the episode where we saw the kid on the slide pretending he was flying an airplane). It's also not the primary focus of the show, just a theme - in Akibaranger, it's more about adult imagination getting out of hand (hence "delusions") and, what's more, the primary focus of the show.

By the way, I wonder who that fake AkibaBlue Akagi strangles really was. Some random person in the store?
It was probably just a figment of their imagination, I imagine. Remember in the second episode (or was it first? it ended around the point when they showed this) when Hakase shows them footage of what it looks like on the outside? They were standing outside of that maid cafe just kind of flailing around while the cops went in and raided the place.

Think back to the first episode - when Akagi imagined himself saving that woman from the mugger, he had actually just fallen on some stairs. Most of these early delusions are exactly like that, except they're shared between the cast. They see a real life thing that makes their imaginations go crazy, then we get their delusion.

- Akagi says in episode 8 that in Gingaman the heroes' identities were never hidden. I suppose they never bothered changing into normal clothing (except for the obligatory beach episode) but there was at least one episode where they discussed not using their abilities in public, like Hikaru did once.

- The DX Daizyujin in the cafe is missing its two cannons in the back.

Suddenly I wonder if that was done on-purpose so the fans would notice and point it out.

Last edited:
^ I'm using TV-Nihon's subs.

On to Season 2 now!

- Is the recap of Season 1 in the first episode supposed to be a complete retcon? Or a joke about how Saburo controls the way these characters act and think?

- At least these Outrageous Powers are more consistent in what they bestow than the Great Powers in Gokaiger.

- Episode 5's spoof on Power Rangers originating from Sentai was unexpected and hilarious. I finally get what those stripped rings on their necks and waists are.

- Peebo and Mag are female? Or is Akagi a bisexual robot-lover? :sly:

- If Tsuu Shogun was initially not aware that his creations were affecting the real world, what was his intention with the Akibarangers? What's the point of attacking them?

- If Itassha Robo was destroyed in the delusion world, shouldn't it be just fine in the real world?

- Great parody of Changeman episode 52 with that sunset duel. Is it really that iconic?