Just an Internet User Passing Thru
The Buu saga gave Gohan his greatest power-up, though.

He barely even uses it again, and he still got his ass kicked by Buu DESPITE the upgrade (although I heard that he'll use the Mystic Form again in the new DB movie coming up)............so that just made Gohan's Mystic form pointless at best

In terms of strength yeah. In terms of people actually giving a crap? Ehhhh...

But you can't skip the Buu Saga it's apart of the show. Like I said before you should of watched DBZ 20 years ago. There's no excuse for skipping part of it now. You want the real experience you watch DBZ, NOT KAI, in it's entirety fillers and all and you watch Goku and Piccolo get there drivers licenses!

Funniest episode I've ever remembered during my childhood days of watching Toonami's broadcast of the DBZ dubs..............LOLz Piccolo learning to drive, classic ROFLMAO

K

KamenRiderBritannia

well ive found the Dragon Box volumes 1-7 and theyre downloading as i speak. seems to be the closest thing to the original availabe without being the original with subs

^You guys didn't grow up watching Cartoon Network huh?

My advice for a DBZ noob? Go back in time about 20 years.

I watched DBZ a few times as a kid on Toonami and I hated it, I was more of a Sailor Moon and Dragonball guy than a Z fan until like the remastered set, which I only bought the first one of the entire series.

Yeah, those season sets are a beauty, aren't they? Them looking this way has nothing to do with Japan though.

Also, every Funimation release aside from the old vhs ones have been uncut, so that point is insignificant now.

I'm justing thinking they would have going on how Japanese companies usually try to screw over the domestic releases to make people buy only the Japanese releases, case in point, Evangelion and Sailor Moon. Only one of those got a better release while the other got a VHS quality DVD and since Toei pulled its licensing for a decade.:redface2: Who the hell does that? We could have gotten Stars on the late night Toonami block, but no...... :disappoin

Hopefully, CN or someone else will get the remake and air it, and possibly Funi will release a better quality version of the original saga [Though I'd like to see an uncut dub done with the original cast mixed with the later Clover cast for characters that didn't exist in the DIC version.

So, that's it. If you want to see DBZ in all it's original glory, the way it was meant to be seen, get the Dragon Boxes or DBZ Kai. If you want to see where DBZ Abridged gets some of its material, either get the Remastered sets or something like it. :)

Ok.

Watch the original series and then Kai. There is no reason to bother with Z unless you want to sit through 200 episodes of banter and constipation. Don't get me wrong, the full length version of Z is enjoyable, but it takes too damn long for fights to end and there is a lot of terrible filler in it. Plus, the Buu saga is one of the biggest insults to the entire Dragonball universe. It turns Gohan into a loser, brings GOku back yet again, and features the dumbest villain concept ever.

No one has said truer words. Kai is much better than Z ever was in this regard.

As for languages, it is hard to say, as I have never actually watched the dub to the original Dragonball.
Its awesome , especially the cover for Mystical Adventure being so much better than the Japanese original. Too bad it never got a full english cover for an album.

The only negative to Kai is how the music is changed at the end of the Freeza saga due to the composer apparently plagurizing and Toei just threw in the old music without a care in the world.

However, if you watch the original Z series, watch it subbed (and in that case, watch both DB and DBZ subbed) as the Z dub is down right terrible.
I heard something like that, but I never knew about this specifically.

The ''remastered'' box sets and the dragon boxes both contain the exact same dub track and are both completely uncut.

I'll check them out when the original series DBox comes to DVD or BR. I hope its soon since I loved the original series when I was a kid and I've heard about the quality being somewhat legendary.

Apparently it was due to Toei being cheap (what else is new?).
And con men. Just ask Go Nagai when they broadcasted the dubs of Mazinger Z and never got his permission, or when they stole Gaiking from him. It took some time before he would work with Toei again.

Glad those got cleared up because of the incoming Gaiking film.:169:

The new Tendou Souji
and you watch Goku and Piccolo get there drivers licenses!

This is one filler no one should skip.

I watched DBZ a few times as a kid on Toonami and I hated it, I was more of a Sailor Moon and Dragonball guy than a Z fan until like the remastered set, which I only bought the first one of the entire series.

I remember I never got into Sailor Moon as a kid passing it off as well, "girly crap".

Fast-forward a few years and I read about how bad the English dub was. Guess you could say I dodged a bullet. :laugh:

Plus, the Buu saga is one of the biggest insults to the entire Dragonball universe. It turns Gohan into a loser, brings GOku back yet again, and features the dumbest villain concept ever.

Eh, w/o Goku being there, we'd never get Vegito so, it's fine imo.

The only negative to Kai is how the music is changed at the end of the Freeza saga due to the composer apparently plagurizing and Toei just threw in the old music without a care in the world.

What would you rather they have done? Not used BGM at all?

I remember I never got into Sailor Moon as a kid passing it off as well, "girly crap".

Fast-forward a few years and I read about how bad the English dub was. Guess you could say I dodged a bullet. :laugh:
I was and still very close to my sister, and since she got into it, I got into it mainly because it looked and was like the female version of Power Rangers. She also introduced me to Miyazaki , manga and other cool anime throughout the years. :buttrock: I wouldn't like some of the things I do without her actually because I never looked outside of certain titles. Then I discovered the Internet's trove of titles on my own........:p

DiC's dub sucked ,but everything after including the dubbed films were fantastic. It was closer to the original than per say, the original Saban and early Funi DBZ dub, save for minor changes like Uranus and Neptune. If Toei gave the same chance it gave Dragon Ball Z to Sailor Moon with Funimation, there's a chance we could have had an uncut dub of the series and better DVDs, potentially by now.

The ''remastered'' box sets and the dragon boxes both contain the exact same dub track and are both completely uncut.

Are you sure? I heard they made a new dub track for the Dragon Box sets, one that reflects the original script.

D

Dr Kain

What would you rather they have done? Not used BGM at all?

I would have rathered they just the used the same tracks in the place they were in the original over just randomly thrown them around. For example, the music when Trunks sliced Freeza up in Z was down right incredible and it fit the mood. Here, it is just a random track and really messes with the mood of that scene.

Are you sure? I heard they made a new dub track for the Dragon Box sets, one that reflects the original script.

If I recall, the Vegeta saga had been redubbed but then they stopped to bring out their orange box sets and the rest of the show kept the same dub from when Funimation took over.