Abyss | Netflix Original K-Drama Series | What Does Your Soul Look Like?

What does the Fox say?
Staff member
<p>Most people assume that their souls are like a vapor or a ghostly apparition. They imagine that the apparition would look the same as your physical appearance. Otherwise, how would you recognize yourself?</p>

Mighty Fine
This show was one of my favorite dramas from 2019! The story was so different from the usual ones. I mean, reviving people with a magical orb and changing their looks? It was mind-blowing! I enjoyed how they balanced the serious murder mystery with funny moments, especially when Cha Min and Se-yeon interacted. I highly recommend it!

I binge-watched "Abyss" in 2019, and it was totally worth it! The concept of the Abyss orb and its powers made the show stand out. It was exciting to see how Cha Min coped with his new appearance and how it affected his friendship with Se-yeon. The mix of genres made it even more interesting, and I couldn't wait to see how the murder case unfolded!

PammyTVAddict
I loved how they explored the consequences of using the magical orb to revive people. The way Cha Min and Se-yeon's friendship evolved after his transformation was heart-touching. It's a drama that made me laugh, cry, and eagerly anticipate each episode.The chemistry between the characters, especially Cha Min and Se-yeon, was adorable, and I rooted for them all the way.

Riding Both sides

I'm caught by the thought that our spirits each have a distinct appearance. It's fascinating to think about how we may appear if our inner beauty was reflected on the outer. I can't help but sympathize with Cha Min after witnessing such grief and then witnessing such a dramatic shift following his rebirth. He must have been overcome by his feelings.​

The story of Go Se-yeon fascinates me the most. It raises issues about the true nature of inner beauty, as she went from being considered drop-dead stunning before her death to appearing like a "plain Jane" following her rebirth. It's fascinating to see how she uses her new appearance to her advantage in her investigations. The series is enhanced by the complexities of relationships and recognition issues.

I can understand why some viewers were upset by the constant scenes of the characters dining at Subway. It may appear to be unnecessary product placement. Nonetheless, I'm delighted the series kept the audience interested despite this tiny fault. The cast's fascinating performances, particularly Ahn Hyo-seop's, appear to have compensated for such diversions.

Kay

Abyss is a unique watch since it mixes the fantasy, crime drama, and romance genres. I enjoyed it overall, even though some people might not have liked the ending. The difficulty of keeping connections with individuals who don't know you is an interesting issue.

Aspiring Smilemaker

The Abyss' plot is both mysterious and strong. It's incredible how a luminous, color-changing marble can bring someone back to life. I can appreciate some viewers' reservations about the fantasy components, however. It would have been nice to see more explanation on how the orb works and the importance of the different colors. Some may have been disappointed by the vagueness.

One major issue I had with Abyss was the lack of explanation regarding the fantasy elements, particularly the workings of the Abyss itself. The marble with its glowing and color-changing properties seemed like a fascinating plot device, but its mechanics were never adequately explored. This left me feeling unsatisfied and disconnected from the narrative, as I couldn't fully grasp the rules and limitations of this powerful object.

Moreover, the series seemed to lack focus, trying to blend too many genres together without achieving a seamless balance. The transition from crime drama and murder mystery to romance and fantasy felt forced, leaving the overall tone inconsistent and disjointed. I found myself struggling to stay engaged as the story meandered without a clear direction.