Okay, I know PS3 will play just about any game but what I'm worried about is if my TV will show it. Say if I imported an Asia or Japan region game from Play Asia, would it work on my US TV without problem? I heard about this issue on another site and I got a little anxious. Bear in mind that I don't own an HDTV.

I just want to make sure before I drop any cash so any useful tips would be greatly appreciated :thumbs:

In Justice, We Trust!
My PS3 plays imports fine regardless of what TV I have it hooked up to. It shouldn't be a problem for you. :thumbs:

Lurker
It shouldnt be a problem. I did read about one game that did have a problem with it, but it was a coding error. So you should be fine.

Thanks for your help, DK and netro :thumbs:

Is there anything else I should know or do regarding Updates and the like? Would I have to create a Japanese account?

In Justice, We Trust!
Thanks for your help, DK and netro :thumbs:

Is there anything else I should know or do regarding Updates and the like? Would I have to create a Japanese account?

Updates happen automatically, basically: you're console will tell you when you need to update. And you don't have to create a Japanese account.

I don't know how the PS3 displays, but PAL and NTSC are different signals. Japan is NTSC, as is the US. No problems there. If you have an NTSC unit and want to play a PAL disc or vice versa, there's where your problem may happen. I'm not sure if PS3 decodes whichever signal on the fly, if need be.

Lurker
I don't know how the PS3 displays, but PAL and NTSC are different signals. Japan is NTSC, as is the US. No problems there. If you have an NTSC unit and want to play a PAL disc or vice versa, there's where your problem may happen. I'm not sure if PS3 decodes whichever signal on the fly, if need be.

Usually it doesn't matter whether the game is NTSC/PAL as long as the console you're using it on is outputting the signal you need. I've used NTSC games on a PAL gamecube and several other consoles on a TV that doesn't do NTSC and it worked fine. I have no idea whether this works the same for the ps3 as I have mine connected via HDMI where it does't matter either way.

What the OP wants should work as japan is NTSC as well. PAL games will probably have no problem either but I never tried it so can't say for sure.