Kamen Rider Onijin
1. Why was there not much KR(or Tokusatsu in general from what I hear) in the 90's? ZO seemed like it could have been an awesome series.

2. How come KR the Next subplot had absolutely NOTHING to do with the main plot involving the actual Riders? I mean, the First atleast tied into it at the end.

3. Where can I watch some showa riders with subs? Seems everyone on here has seen them but me.

4. Was Riderman in All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker supposed to be separate from Joji Yuki? If so, who the hell is the guy in the final battle then?

Lurker
1. I don't really know, but I'd assume RX didn't do well, either with sales or ratings. But there was a lot of other tokusatsu, or Sentai at least.

2. THE NEXT sucks, and that's all I got on this one.

3. Go to the Media Matrix - you'll find what you're looking for there.

4. I like to think the one played by Gackt was the AU version, and the other one was supposed to be the "original" one.

Yes, I only gave item 3 a good answer but I tried, lol. Maybe someone more enlighted can help you out ^^

Last edited:
1. Why was there not much KR(or Tokusatsu in general from what I hear) in the 90's? ZO seemed like it could have been an awesome series.

90s had Metal Hero and Super Sentai, a few one offs and also Ultraman, although not a big stream of tv shows, the weakest franchise there was Rider. Anyway, something happened between the transition of Black RX to the next Rider series and they just couldn't get things together to make a new tv show aftewards.

I never saw Rider's toy sales back then, but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't that big.

2. How come KR the Next subplot had absolutely NOTHING to do with the main plot involving the actual Riders? I mean, the First atleast tied into it at the end.

It's connected to V3 and that one girl Hongo meets... Anyway, that movie was written by Inoue and in his later days he started writing subplots completely unconnected to the main plots of his tv shows and movies.

3. Where can I watch some showa riders with subs? Seems everyone on here has seen them but me.

Can't post links in this forum. The main groups that subbed Showa series are KITsubs (incomplete first Rider and Skyrider, progressing very quickly, with one episode per week at least, they also have a few Super-1 episodes, but that'll be on hold until they finish Skyrider), Midnight Crew Subs(incomplete Stronger, very slowly), HiNoTori (Amazon, complete), Century Kings (Almost or Complete Black, haven't checked them recently. They're very slow but have finished/are near finishing the series).

4. Was Riderman in All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker supposed to be separate from Joji Yuki? If so, who the hell is the guy in the final battle then?

Yes, Gackt is credited just Joji Yuki, rather than Joji Yuki/Riderman, so they're separate. Gackt was the Joji Yuki of Tsukasa's world, while the one in the final battle was presumably the original (Although Riderman's actor is dead, they used Riderman suit actors from Black RX and Skyrider for him during his appearances in Vs Dai-Shocker).

Last edited:
Mad Skillz
I've heard that Ryohei Kobayashi was actually cast as the lead in what would have been a sequel to Black RX. Kotaro would have still been in the show but just not in the capacity of main character. I think Kobayashi was given his role as Five Black as a sort of compensation for the lost role, so something must have happened.

It's no secret that Toei was sort of hurting financially in the 90s, so I would imagine they just looked at cost versus revenue for their shows and realized Kamen Rider wasn't really cutting it. Like NeonZ said, the sales probably weren't that great, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to end the shows just because. (the difference in ratings between Black and RX is very small) I think it's a shame, the 90s were a really interesting time of development for both tokusatsu and anime and if the movies we got were any indication, we probably would have gotten some interesting shows. I've always loved the idea of seeing ZO get himself a full series.

The new Tendou Souji
Century Kings (Almost or Complete Black, haven't checked them recently. They're very slow but have finished/are near finishing the series).

Pal finished the TV series and the 2 movies; he said he's gonna do the post-TV special as well so, there's just that to do.

I've always loved the idea of seeing ZO get himself a full series.

2qnv3b6.jpg

Silly Rookie
I'd rather have seen Shin get a series...and the removal of the stupid as hell hybrid baby sub-plot. I love my riders best when they're silly, but Shin was very interesting.

But honestly ZO could have been better if it were 90 minutes. The supporting characters were interesting and I would have liked to learn more about them. You've got grandpa Dr. Wily and the martial arts fighter older sister.

The new Tendou Souji
Nah, it's J that needed extra time in its movie. After he beats the 2nd goon, the movie seemed to go on a caffeine rush and sprint as fast as it could to the boring dude and the ship fight. An extra scene would've been nice, right about there, imo.

I'd rather have seen Shin get a series...[...] I love my riders best when they're silly, but Shin was very interesting.

(゜_゜)
I liked the suit but, the movie sucked.

Last edited:
For awhile now I've operated under the theory that, after years of writing Kamen Rider stuff, Toshiki Inoue has grown tired of writing for tokusatsu and now just writes whatever kind of show or movie he wants and then shoves Kamen Riders in around the margins.

I'd rather have seen Shin get a series...and the removal of the stupid as hell hybrid baby sub-plot. I love my riders best when they're silly, but Shin was very interesting.

But honestly ZO could have been better if it were 90 minutes. The supporting characters were interesting and I would have liked to learn more about them. You've got grandpa Dr. Wily and the martial arts fighter older sister.
Shin was conceptually a very interesting movie. I agree with you that ZO should have been longer, but I think Shin's problem was that it needed to be shorter. The movie was really padded out and slowly paced. It could have stood to be more condensed.

Kuuguitar
For awhile now I've operated under the theory that, after years of writing Kamen Rider stuff, Toshiki Inoue has grown tired of writing for tokusatsu and now just writes whatever kind of show or movie he wants and then shoves Kamen Riders in around the margins.

Shin was conceptually a very interesting movie. I agree with you that ZO should have been longer, but I think Shin's problem was that it needed to be shorter. The movie was really padded out and slowly paced. It could have stood to be more condensed.

I think it's more that Inoue was always a writer who wants to do "serious" J-drama but gets stuck with the half-hour toy commercials.