5 Korean Drama Movies to Watch on Netflix NOW!

What does the Fox say?
Staff member

Here are 5 Korean Drama movies on Netflix to watch now! For Korean drama, Netflix is quickly becoming the GO-TO streaming platform for many viewers. Especially for Korean movies.​

If you don't want to get caught up in a K-drama series, the Netflix platform seems to have the largest selection of Korean drama movies to choose from that were released in the 2000s up to the present.​

Add these 5 films to your watch list: 1) Forgotten (2017); 2) Burning (2018); 3) Tune in for Love (2019); 4) The Call (2020); and 5) Sweet & Sour (2021).

1) Forgotten (2017)​

Genre: Thriller, Mystery (Netflix viewers added: Psychological, Suspenseful)

“Forgotten” is a Korean drama movie that is not based on a true story; however, its inspiration is drawn from someone who had a similar experience. This psychological thriller explores themes of memory, identity, and betrayal. Jin-seok's brother, Yoo-Seok, was abducted, missing for several days, and then suddenly returned home. Of course, the family is happy he came home safely. But the man who came back home is not the brother Jin-seok knew. Yoo-seok says he has no memory of what happened to him.

Jin-seok wants to trust his brother but finds it hard to believe him because there are inconsistencies in Yoo-seok's stories, strange events start happening, and his brother's behavior is very suspicious. When Jin-seok starts searching for answers, he uncovers a web of lies, and more, including dark family secrets that were buried for years.

The plot has lots of twists and turns and is a must-watch for fans of psychological thrillers.

Main Characters:

Rating:

• IMDb: 7.4 out of 10 stars
  • My Drama List: 8.5 out of 10 stars

TRAILER/TEASER:

Trailer & All Rex. “Forgotten Korean Movie Trailer.” YouTube Video. YouTube, November 27, 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5fAD6PqBMQ.‌

[embed]

2) Burning (2018)​

Genre: Thriller (Netflix viewers added: Understated, Suspenseful)

"Burning" is a thought-provoking Korean drama film that explores love, obsession, and the darker aspects of the human psyche. Jong-su reconnects with Hae-mi, a free-spirited woman from his childhood past. Hae-mi leaves for Africa and asks Jong-su to take care of her cat. Hey! That's what love is for!

When she returns she introduces Jong-su to Ben. Ben is wealthy, but also mysterious. The more time the three of them spend together, the more suspicious Jong-su becomes of Ben. One day Hae-mi mysteriously disappears and he begins to wonder about Ben, his intentions, and their relationship.

Ben lives a luxurious and affluent lifestyle. A sharp contrast to Jong-su who is a part-time deliveryman and aspiring writer. When he starts to investigate the disappearance of Hae-mi, he begins to see the differences between the haves and the have-nots.

South Korean actor Yoo Ah-In is tangled up in legal woes involving narcotics and has been blacklisted from the entertainment industry. However, since he has been acting since 2003, there are many K-drama series and Korean movies fans can watch.

"Burning" won the award for Best Film at the 2018 (55th) Daejong Film Awards. It is based on the short story "Barn Burning" by Haruki Murakami.

Main Characters:

Rating:

• IMDb: 7.5 out of 10 stars
  • My Drama List: 7.5 out of 10 stars

TRAILER/TEASER:

Well Go USA Entertainment. “BURNING Official Trailer | Certified Fresh | Korean Mystery Drama Thriller | Starring Steven Yeun.” YouTube Video. YouTube, September 26, 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oihHs2Errwk.‌

[embed]

3) Tune in for Love (2019)​

Genre: Romance (Netflix viewers added: Nostalgic, Understated, Heartfelt)

"Tune in for Love" is a Korean drama movie set in Seoul during the 1990s and early 2000s. Mi-soo and Hyun-woo, have been in a relationship for decades. When Mi-soo was a high school student in 1994, she worked part-time at a bakery. She met Hyun-woo because he came to the place where she worked often. They have lots of things in common and they connect. But their circumstances prevent them from becoming involved in romance and they part ways.

For the next 10 years, Mi-soo and Hyun-woo take different paths in life and even though they are physically separated their bond remains unbroken. They constantly think about what their lives would have been like if they had stayed together. One day they meet again in an unexpected way and the reunion reignites the spark of romance. However, the timing always seems to be “not the right time” for them. Or is it?

What viewers liked about this film was the music that provided a soundtrack to the lives of the two main characters. The soundtrack included nostalgic tunes of the 1990s to the evocative melodies of the early 2000s. It was likely the music that kept the viewers tuned in. Plus, the characters were so relatable. Who hasn't thought about missed chances at love and the beauty of second chances?

Main Characters:

Rating:

• IMDb: 7.1 out of 10 stars
  • My Drama List: 8.1 out of 10 stars

TRAILER/TEASER:

Netflix K-Content. “Tune in for Love | Official Trailer | Netflix [ENG SUB].” YouTube Video. YouTube, September 27, 2019. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2x8gaL5Omw.‌

[embed]

4) The Call (2020)​

Genre: Horror, Mystery (Netflix viewers added: Chilling, Psychological, Dark)

Korean drama lovers love time travel. But the Korean movie "Call" is different. It intricately weaves together two timelines. Two women who live in two separate time periods connect with each other through a mysterious phone call. As with anything that deals with time, there is the question of whether the past can be altered and what would be the consequences for doing so.

Seo-yeon is a young woman grieving the loss of her mother, so she moves into her family home to heal. When she was getting settled, she found an old cordless phone in the house. Young-sook called and claimed she was living in the same house only she was in the past, in the year 1999. At first, Seo-yeon thought it was a prank, but then she witnesses events unfolding in the past through the window of her house.

The two women establish a connection across time, and they start to influence each other's lives. However, when Seo-yeon tries to change a tragic event from Young-sook's past, it changes the course of both their lives.

But the changes have happened and Young-sook is determined to protect her own reality at any cost. Seo-yeon finds herself trapped not knowing how to unblur the lines between past and present. "Call" delves into the butterfly effect and combines the elements of horror, mystery, and psychological suspense.

Main Characters:

Rating:

• IMDb: 7.1 out of 10 stars
  • My Drama List: 8.3 out of 10 stars
  • Public reviews shared via Google: 4.6 out of 5 stars

TRAILER/TEASER:

Netflix K-Content. “The Call | Official Trailer | Netflix [ENG SUB].” YouTube Video. YouTube, October 29, 2020.

[embed]

5) Sweet & Sour (2021)​

Genre: Romance, Comedy (Netflix viewers added: Romantic but Bittersweet)

"Sweet & Sour" is a South Korean drama romantic comedy. There are three main characters: Jang-hyuk, Da-eun, and Bo-young.

• Jang-hyuk started a new job as a temporary worker at a large corporation.
  • Da-eun works as a nurse and she becomes romantically involved with Jang-hyuk.
  • Bo-young is a career-driven woman who is focused on climbing the corporate ladder, who works with Jang-hyuk.
Jang-hyuk's relationship with Da-eun blossoms. That's sweet.

But Jang-hyuk's job is demanding and his work begins to take a toll on their relationship. That's sour.

By the same token, Just like Jang-hyuk, Da-eun wants to pursue her career goals too! Is that sour?

Bo-young decides she's interested in Jang-hyuk and starts chasing after him. Uuuhhh? Is that sweet or sour? Sweet and Sour??

The characters are forced to confront their priorities. They might have to choose between careers and relationships. What is that truly matters to them?

"Sweet & Sour" is a lighthearted blend of humor and romance. But it also touches on the complexities of modern romance; particularly, love and relationships in the digital age.

Main Characters:

Rating:

• IMDb: 6.7 out of 10 stars
  • My Drama List: 7.5 out of 10 stars
  • Public reviews shared via Google: 4.3 out of 5 stars

TRAILER/TEASER:

Brasil, Netflix. “Sweet & Sour | Trailer Oficial | Netflix.” YouTube Video. YouTube, May 17, 2021. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct6Y_BoIuFM.‌

[embed]https://youtu.be/ct6Y_BoIuFM?si=tWrGPjaA7WBrw5in[/embed]

♦♦♦♦♦

LINKS OF INTEREST:

I'm all about those thrilling plots, and "Forgotten" and "Burning" seem right up my alley. Psychological twists and suspenseful storytelling? Count me in! I've been craving a good mystery to sink my teeth into, and these films look like they won't disappoint.Ooh, 'Burning' has been on my watchlist forever! I love a good slow-burn mystery with a touch of the unsettling. Plus, Steven Yeun? Sold. Thanks for the reminder!

"Burning" sounds like it's not your typical thriller; it appears to offer a more subtle yet deeply engaging narrative. The exploration of class differences and the complexities of human relationships seem like central themes that could make for a thought-provoking viewing experience. Steven Yeun's involvement also adds to the anticipation, especially considering his impressive performance in projects like "Minari." The fact that it's based on a Haruki Murakami short story further piques my interest. I'm ready to delve into this enigmatic world and unravel its mysteries alongside the characters.

Forgotten is totally my jam. Psychological thrillers with amnesia and dark family secrets? Yes, please! I love how Korean cinema can be so unpredictable. I won't sleep tonight, but that's okay

I am everywhere all at once
Sweet & Sour appears to offer a fresh take on the romantic comedy genre, blending humor with the complexities of modern relationships. The dynamic between the three main characters sounds like it'll keep me guessing, and I'm curious to see how their individual ambitions clash and intertwine. Jang Ki-Yong, Chae Soo-Bin, and Krystal's performances are sure to bring these characters to life with charm and depth. Plus, the socio-economic realities touched upon in the film add an intriguing layer of depth to the romantic storyline. I'm excited to see how the sweet and sour elements of love play out on screen!

OMG, Netflix is like a Korean movie goldmine! I gotta bookmark this entire list. Maybe I can knock out a few of these this weekend... or maybe this week?

This list is a delightful smorgasbord for the lovelorn soul! "Tune in for Love" instantly captured my attention. A love story spanning a decade, filled with missed connections and the bittersweet beauty of second chances? Sign me up! I can already picture myself weeping into a tub of popcorn while simultaneously cheering for the protagonists to find their happily ever after. "Sweet & Sour," however, presents a more cynical yet relatable take on modern love. The complexities of juggling careers and relationships in today's fast-paced world resonate deeply. This film promises a humorous and perhaps slightly cautionary tale about navigating the complexities of love in the digital age.

Have I Cross the Line?
Oh, I've seen all of these! 'Forgotten' and 'Burning' are absolute gems, filled with suspense and depth. Kang Ha-Neul's performance in 'Forgotten' had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. And 'Burning'—what a masterclass in storytelling! The unraveling of secrets and the complex dynamics between the characters kept me hooked till the very end. If you're into psychological thrillers, these are must-watch picks

When you cut me, I bleed pink
I've watched every single one of these multiple times! Each film offers a unique experience, whether it's the suspenseful twists of 'Forgotten' or the nostalgic romance of 'Tune in for Love.' And let's not forget the sheer brilliance of 'Burning'—a masterpiece in every sense. Trust me, you won't be disappointed with any of these picks!