2020-2021: Kamen Rider Saber

Black Fang

I'm a bit disappointed that the name is literally "Saber" and not, say, a double reference. For example, "Seiba" or "Seiber" for "holy sword".

Black Fang

But the English word they're using is plain "Saber". It's not very distinguished, especially when almost every Rider nowadays use swords.

Shogun_Master

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
Now, the rumor is that his sword will be called Seiken Bucklesaber.

On that note, does anyone know how buckle would come out in engrish? Is it baaku, or bakuru, or what?

Toku Prime

Going to assume you meant a buckler rather than a buckle, as it makes more sense for it to be a small shield that is often used with a one-handed sword (although, to my limited knowledge, not sabers) rather than the metal bit that holds your belt closed.

Also, isn't "seiken" a karate term for the way you properly make a fist to punch someone?

In which case, a "proper fist side shield saber"? That's a word salad. o_O

Shogun_Master

I think they said seiken is Holy Blade. I am pretty sure that ken is blade, isn't it?

But, anyway, someone on Rangerboard, almost immediately after this, came up with a supposed toy listing. It makes reference to a core team of three riders, plus an ultimate number of seven rider in all in the first quarter. Also, if true, the fairy tale thing would apply to the riders' powers in as much as the villains. There were name references to Hansel, Aladdin & the three Little pigs, as well as characters from the Asian epic, Journey to the West.

EDIT: The person from before also attempted to offer a sketch of the driver. It's a thick bladed dagger, with half of the crosstree missing. You plug in books and fold them open, so it sort of forms the other half of the crosstree. Thats for the main three Riders, and I guess that's the aforementioned Bucklesaber. And, if true, I just realized that if Bucklesaber was done as Bukuseibaa/ Bukusabaa, then the Buckle part would be a double ententre for Book, even if a but of a stretch.

Bucklers should be in more things, either way, but I feel like knowing how you are supposed to correctly use one would bring up a lot of the same aversions people have to using brass knuckles in kid's shows. Not that I expect that would stop Rider.

The three Little pigs one was a power up item, I think. Since there's 3 main riders, I almost wonder if it's supposed to link their powers, or activate a 3 way attack, or something.

Last edited:

Toku Prime

If accurate, this sounds like it's going to be one of those "bulky suit" seasons. o_O
I think they said seiken is Holy Blade. I am pretty sure that ken is blade, isn't it?
It is...except for when it means fist, like the JyuKen (Beast Fist) in JyuKen Sentai Gekiranger. To be fair, they probably use different symbols. I won't pretend to know the language. I could be completely wrong.

I thought "holy blade" was the kanji they used to spell "Saber" in the logo?
Bucklers should be in more things, either way, but I feel like knowing how you are supposed to correctly use one would bring up a lot of the same aversions people have to using brass knuckles in kid's shows. Not that I expect that would stop Rider.
One of the stories that came out of Wizard was that once Bandai informed them that the gimmick item was going to be magic rings, the production team immediately decided that the Riders would never throw a punch or use magical attacks such as a fire punch. This was specifically because they could tell that Bandai would have to make them out of hard plastic, and they didn't want any kids pretending to be the Rider to hit another child while wearing something on their hand that could increase the chances of an injury occurring.

So yeah, I think they would stop the stunt team from using a buckler as a secondary weapon to hit people with, unless the toy was made of out rubbery soft plastic.

Shogun_Master

It is...except for when it means fist, like the JyuKen (Beast Fist) in JyuKen Sentai Gekiranger. To be fair, they probably use different symbols. I won't pretend to know the language. I could be completely wrong.

I thought "holy blade" was the kanji they used to spell "Saber" in the logo?
Ok, I think I get where that person was coming from. They must have been assuming that it was a pun on the saber kanji reading holy blade and smashing together the English word saber with the Japanese ken.

And, I stand corrected on the buckler thing.😁

I will say, though, that a few people think that there might be something off about these rumors, but, if they are made up, someone sure as hell put a heck of a lot of effort into them. They think the toy listing might be fake.

Dr Kain

My only hope is that they lay off having like 5 different riders at the start and just have one with a second rider about 10ish episodes in. I'm tired of these Kamen Task Force Rider shows.

raden238

My only hope is that they lay off having like 5 different riders at the start and just have one with a second rider about 10ish episodes in. I'm tired of these Kamen Task Force Rider shows.
The Muti-Rider trend is something Toei really loves because it gives them a reason to sell more toys. More Riders, more toys. That's the motto. I want to say Ghost was the last series where they didn't go overboard with the multiple Riders. It was Ghost, Specter, and Necrom. But starting with Ex-Aid it just seems like every year we get a ton of Riders right out of the gate. It would be nice to just have a solo Rider and then the secondary Rider debuts in like episode 17ish like the old days.

raden238

I don't mind a few riders, but I want some actual villains that aren't evil riders again. That's all we have had for the last several years and it's gotten boring.
So true with had Chronos, Evolt, Ohma Zi-O and now Ark Zero-One. That's 4 years of having the final boss being an evil rider. I'm getting tired of it too.

Last edited:

Dr Kain

So true with had Chronos, Evolt, Ohma Zi-O and now Ark Zero-One. That's 4 years of having the final boss being an evil rider. I'm getting tired of it too.
Not just the final boss, but even the soldiers. Metsuboujinrai.net is just an evil rider cosplay club.

Shogun_Master

More listings showed up in pieces.

The only one that caught my eye was when someone on Rangerboard said:
"Book that transforms into a bike & smartphone that transforms into a trike"

The only thing I got is that those motorized three-wheelers suck. I feel bad for the stuntpeople already, but, I guess they have to have some sort of padding under that armor.

I also wonder if it's the kind with one wheel in the front, or two. (cannot remember what the latter one is called, right now)

Dr Kain

Apparently this show is going to have 8 riders in it from the start. I think I might sit this one out.

Oh who the **** am I kidding, I will need to watch the first few episodes to do a video review on.

Toku Prime

So the press conference for Saber will happen on July 29th at 12 noon Japanese time. It will be streaming live on both the TV-Asahi and Toei Tokusatsu Youtube channels.

Also, there's been a couple of leaked photos of a magazine that show us what Saber looks like.

REMINDER: Don't share and/or discuss these images on social media and then tag in Team Rider or anyone else officially connected to the shows. This isn't officially revealed. We shouldn't know this yet.
His default form's face is very fiery, and asymmetrical with a big crest blade. If you look at the guy's thumb in the first pic, is that another form/Rider just above it?

The second image also seems to show a vaguely blade-shaped belt. There's also a separate image of a sword, and in the top left there's an image that maaaybe implies they're the same toy? (dammit random photographer, put it on a table top instead of your knee!)

It confirms that the gimmick is books (i.e. two pieces of plastic connected with a hinge) which attach to the belt. There's also a book in the bottom left corner that appears to be Peter Pan (and is close enough to the Disney version that I'm sure the legal team winced).
Oh who the **** am I kidding, I will need to watch the first few episodes to do a video review on.
lol you're not fooling anyone, Doc. In all the years we've been on here, I can't think of a single Rider or Sentai show that you haven't angrily declared to be the worst thing ever while it was airing, and yet you've still stuck with them right to the end.

Last edited:

Dr Kain

lol you're not fooling anyone, Doc. In all the years we've been on here, I can't think of a single Rider or Sentai show that you haven't angrily declared to be the worst thing ever while it was airing, and yet you've still stuck with them right to the end.
Drive, Ghost, Ex-Aid, and Zi-O. I stopped watching Drive at episode 24. I quit Ghost at 2, Ex-Aid at 1, and Zi-O at 4.

As for Sentai, I stopped ToQ at 5 and last year when I watched Goseiger to review it was the first time I made it past episode 9.

Shogun_Master

Yeah, myself & some others have been trying to study it. Apparently, the belt is a sheath for the sword. You attach a book to the front of the sheath, open it, then shove the sword in to activate. The front of the sheath is open, so you can always see the details of the sword when it's in there.

I don't know that the Peter Pan thing is that close. It's kind of in a grey area, I guess. The book is too old to be under Copywrite &, I'm sure it has a somewhat detailed description of how he's supposed to look, but, on the other hand Disney copywrited their own artwork. While their earliest Copywrites will begin to expire in another ten years, or so, America created the world's first copywrite laws in about 1923 & Disney didn't make Snow White until somewhere in the 30s. I think Peter Pan was one of their first 5 films, or something. I'm not too clear on that.

raden238

Saber's helmet looks great. But really the collectible gimmick is going to be books? Little plastic squares on a hinge that open up with two images? Doesn't seem like a fun of toy to me. The sword is fine, the belt is atrocious! Easily one of the worst belt designs in Rider history! I'm guessing its suppose to be a book shelf, where you display or in the toy's case you slide in the books to activate everything. But its so dull and and has deviated too far from what a belt is suppose to be! What happen to making belt designs that actually looked like a real-life buckle? It's terrible.

Even though these images are leaks, I noticed in the picture on the left, we see apparently what looks like 2 form changes for Saber? and funny enough the leaker deliberately used his thumb to block the secondary rider's face.

So far not liking the books and once again we're following the same trends as the past 4 years. Multiple Riders on the show right out of the gate. Toei really loves sticking to success formulas. I will give the show a chance, but I might be skipping this show and taking a break.

Shogun_Master

-- Sword grows into full sized weapon when in use.

-- Saber's name is Rex/ Lex Bookworm. Not sure which one Toei prefers, since it's been noted that both technically make sense from opposite ends of the spectrum of this show's themes- Rex is Latin for king, & Lex is related to the Latin for writing, as in Lexicon.

-- Second known Rider's name is Blades (the blue lion guy).

-- Someone noted (albeit through Google translate) that the Seiken in Seiken Sworddriver can come out as both Holy Blade in the convoluted fashion mentioned earlier, as well as story, which might explain why they went with such a stretch.

-- Words on bottoms of feet translate as "Rider Kick with these very feet" & words on belt translate to "draw now your holy sword." With the above point made, I guess you could also translate it as "draw upon your story," which makes equal sense given the circumstances.

Mastodon