Why is every good TV show Cancelled
Ah, I see. Yeah, I never did get into Dragonball when it aired in U.S., for obvious reasons.

I'm still a little confused about how important the international/Power Rangers merch sales are to Toei and Bandai. If it's that important, what's been keeping Kamen Rider going without break since Kuuga? Is the appeal somehow different?

It is the worst tokusatsu ever made.

Give it a rest, Shark. You all ready made a discussion thread where you can vent your opinions about Build. You don't need to bring that up here.
So unless whatever you have to say about Build has ANY baring on Ryusouger, a season that hasn't even come out yet, I'll kindly ask you to please stay on topic.

Last edited:
Mad Skillz
I'm still a little confused about how important the international/Power Rangers merch sales are to Toei and Bandai. If it's that important, what's been keeping Kamen Rider going without break since Kuuga? Is the appeal somehow different?

When Bandai Namco reports its financial earnings figures, it does so in two different charts. One chart is called "Toys and Hobby Business", which is assumed to just be toys and junk. The other chart is "Group-wide". People think Group-wide includes the earnings from Power Rangers because those numbers are usually more than double what the Toys and Hobby Business numbers are. That difference isn't really there in Kamen Rider, their Group-wide numbers are only a few billion yen higher.

With Hasbro making the toys, this means Bandai Namco is probably not going to be able to include those numbers. This means that, starting next financial year, the reports are going to show overall lower numbers.

The reason this isn't an issue for Kamen Rider is because it's had fantastic toy sales since Decade. In any given year, the Kamen Rider series that year makes around as much as both that year's Sentai and Power Rangers combined.

So, slight update, Toei have announced that the official translation of the show's name is Ryusoulger.

They have also made some staff announcements:

The producers will be Maruyama Shinya and Takahashi Kazuhiro. Shinya has mainly worked in more 'mainstream' Japanese television, and their only previous toku experience was on a few episodes of the toku adaptation of Sailor Moon. Kazuhiro has had more experience of toku, most notably as a main producer on Kamen Rider Fourze.

The head writer will be Junpei Yamaoka, who has never worked in toku before.

The head director will be Kazuya Kamihoriuchi, who has directed a few episodes of Ex-Aid, Build and Zi-O but has (as far as I can tell) never worked on Sentai before and this is their first time as lead director.

Music will be composed by Kiyoshi Yoshikawa, who again has had lots of experience in the TV industry but is new to toku.

Toei's official synopsis for the show, as translated by The Tokusatsu Network:

65 million years ago

An era when dinosaurs were everywhere. When attackers sought to take over the world, bringing war, knights were selected to stand against this threat. A meteor falls to the earth and brings the era of the dinosaurs to an end. Those chosen knights then chose to live the rest of their lives quietly on earth. In preparation for the return of this enemy, dinosaurs with great power were made to sleep in a temple.

Now, at the end of the Heisei era, the attackers have returned to Earth, pushing their evil to the limits of the universe. Now, it’s time to grasp the powers of the dinosaurs!

“Knights” x “Dinosaurs”

Now is the time to protect earth’s peace with that power!

(TV Asahi)

65 million years ago, the immensely powerful Druidon Tribe reigned over Earth. The tribe abandoned the planet when a gigantic meteor approached, vowing that they would return as the rulers of the world again as they headed into space.

The Ryusou Tribe who battled against the Druidon Tribe stayed on earth, along with their dinosaur companions, the Kishiryu. The Ryusou Tribe withstood the ice age brought on by the gigantic meteor. They placed their Kishiryu companions into the Ryusouls and sealed them in temples throughout the world.

Time has moved on and the Druidon Tribe has returned after fighting in harsh environments across space, totally increasing their powers. The Ryusou Tribe that kept the Earth safe in the past have selected new knights: the Ryusoulgers. They have been revived by their mission as the battle against the Druidon Tribe begins.

D

Dr Kain

I'm very intrigued with this Yamaoka dude. As you said, he has never done Toku before, just dramas (at least, that is what I'm guessing as Peach Girl is the only thing he has worked on I know of and that is a drama). Plus, he was born in 83, which means he might have watched the Sugimura Sentai shows when he was growing up, so those could influence this one. Hell, the plot sounds like Zyuranger and Dairanger combined with a touch of Ohranger.

Now that the name has been confirmed as "Ryusoulger" (Ryu + soul/soldier), it's too bad the heroes' names aren't:
Tyrasoulger
Trikesoulger
Ankysoulger
Milsoulger
Tigersoulger

Or some variant therein.

Mad Skillz
I'm very intrigued with this Yamaoka dude. As you said, he has never done Toku before, just dramas (at least, that is what I'm guessing as Peach Girl is the only thing he has worked on I know of and that is a drama). Plus, he was born in 83, which means he might have watched the Sugimura Sentai shows when he was growing up, so those could influence this one. Hell, the plot sounds like Zyuranger and Dairanger combined with a touch of Ohranger.

The director also did a lot of the best episodes of Kamen Rider Build. (21 and 47 being my favorites) I don't know what to expect from this new series, like, surely they won't push it as far as Kamen Rider, there's too much crossover for the audience, but I think we'll get something with more of a serious tone.

I looked up the producers, the main producer actually got his start as sub produced on a bunch of later Metal Hero shows. He's mostly been doing J-Drama crime shows ever since. This really feels like Toei trying to do anything to make the show feel unique again. (and it's a good thing to, with this supposedly being Sentai's last shot before cancellation)

D

Dr Kain

Well that's good news as Sugimura was a crime drama writer before he was handed Sentai. Maybe I will finally get my wish.