2019-2020: Kamen Rider Zero-One

Toku Prime

Like would they try and cut the series short just to retain their current release schedule or we'll be seeing another W situation where the release date is shifted now?
It's kind of difficult to tell what will happen tbh. The trademarks for Zi-O and Zero One were both registered in May, so normally I'd have assumed we'd be getting one for the next show very soon. But before that Rider trademarks usually came out in June, so not having a trademark before the end of the month doesn't necessarily mean there's been a delay.

They had intended from the beginning that Decade would have a shorter run so that W could start in the same year. Before they did that, new Rider and Sentai shows began around the same time and they were worried that they might be stealing sales from each other. And yes, knowing this does make Decade's cliffhanger ending seem even more bizarre.

Toku Prime

A news article has been posted on Yahoo Japan (see here) which seems to claim that filming on Kamen Rider 01 will resume on the 28th May, albeit with extra precautions (face masks, minimum numbers of both cast and crew, taking everyone's temperature multiple times per day, etc). It doesn't mention Sentai, but says that it is expected that other shows will gradually resume again from the beginning of June. Nor does it give any estimate as to when that will translate into new episodes airing.

Dr Kain

So new episodes will probably start up at the end of June since they're usually what, 4 weeks out?

Toku Prime

So TV Magazine has revealed that Aruto will be getting a new form...Kamen Rider 02 ! The Zero Two Driver Unit appears to attach over the front of the Zero One Driver, which will also have a Zero Two Progrise Key inserted into it.

Given how late we are into the series, the obvious assumption is that this must be his ultimate form, but who knows for sure with all the disruption that's been going on?
So new episodes will probably start up at the end of June since they're usually what, 4 weeks out?
Sure enough, this news report indicates that they are hoping they can resume broadcast in late June.

Dr Kain

Another form? That is the biggest issue I have with Zero-One, he has way too many upgrades. Well... that and Thouser has now become everyone's *****. The only thing he is good for at this point is making everyone a sandwich.

raden238

I like Zero-One's final form Zero-Two. Nice homage to Nigo with the red scarf. It's sleek and most importantly not some bulky, jumbled mix of bits and pieces glued together on a suit. Which is nice change over the recent years.

I would say this is the final form. Shinning Assault Hopper is the super form before the midseason and Metal Cluster is the midseason super form. I think the pandemic delayed the show for about a month, so it hasn't made a big dent in the toy release schedule, which might be why they already showed this form. Not to mention if things were normal, the magazine scans would have shown this earlier around this time of the month.

Toku Prime

The Tokusatsu Network has posted a news item saying that the resumption of filming on Zero-One will be Monday 1st June, not this week.
I like Zero-One's final form Zero-Two. Nice homage to Nigo with the red scarf. It's sleek and most importantly not some bulky, jumbled mix of bits and pieces glued together on a suit. Which is nice change over the recent years.

I would say this is the final form. Shinning Assault Hopper is the super form before the midseason and Metal Cluster is the midseason super form. I think the pandemic delayed the show for about a month, so it hasn't made a big dent in the toy release schedule, which might be why they already showed this form. Not to mention if things were normal, the magazine scans would have shown this earlier around this time of the month.
Yeah, the red collar reminiscent of a scarf, along with the white stripe on the outside of each arm and red gloves, it's all very Rider #2. I've seen a lot of people on social media saying it's too similar to the base form, but I'd prefer that over some bulky thing with every single ProgRise Key glued onto it.

Also, I guess it kinda fits in with Aruto's "dad" having a form based upon Rider #1 (even if that 'Reiwa The First Generation' film has such a nonesense plot that I'm not even sure whether Soreo Hiden became a Rider or not in the normal timeline).

If there hadn't been a stop to new episodes, we'd already be on episode 37. Final forms usually debut around the 39-41 mark, so chances are Zero-One's final form would originally have debuted in June. These photos come from the June edition of the magazine. So it makes sense to me for it to be the final form. I've seen some people claiming it's for the summer movie, but those would normally be in July's magazine (and I don't know if the summer movie has been rescheduled?). I've even seen some people say it's for a Hyper Battle Video, but those feature a freebie collectable included in the magazine, not a separate toy that costs as much as the original belt.

Dr Kain

Apparently people are very upset with this Zero-Two form and verbally attacking the dude who showed the scans of it. Like what the **** people? SERIOUSLY?!

Shogun_Master

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
Yeah, since I usually get internet from the library, I'm about 10 eps behind, at this point. But, I'll be catching up soon.

Anyway, I would think that they'll finish up the series as planned, as I'm sure that there was already a contract obligating a certain amount of episodes, but next season, they might cut short for any number of complications the pandemic caused, not necessarily just to get back on schedule. But, who really knows until we're there.

As to the 02 form, I don't mind it. But, again, the last episode I saw was the firefighter one, so I've no clue what's been happening the last 2 months.

Dr Kain

Yeah, my guess is Zero-One already had all of its scripts done, so the episode total is locked in, but Kiramager should be fine if it only ends up being 40 episodes. IN fact, it might benefit the show in the long run.

Shogun_Master

By the way, has anyone gotten to see the Geiz movie yet? I was actually kind of shocked. It was good. It definitely gave Zi-O a better ending than the show did.

Dr Kain

So I guess Zero-One will end at episode 45. From my understanding, it was originally going to be 47, so that means 2 less episodes of filler. YES!!

Shogun_Master

Well, I guess that they've had two .5 episodes, so maybe they had to count those as episodes-- hence 45.

That's cool, though. Final 10 episodes. Can't wait to see how it ends. So far, I don't really think it's cracked my top 5 seasons, but it far from the worst. It seemed a bit raw, like they had a lot of ideas for this season, but didn't get much of a chance for it all to settle in their minds. But I enjoyed it. Aruto, Fuwa, Yui, Izu & Jin were all great characters, & you can't really argue with that.

Dr Kain

Had this show maintained the same momentum in the 20s that it had for the first 19-ish episodes, this would have easily cracked my top 10 list. Right now, I'm not sure. It will all depend on how this final arc plays out.

Toku Prime

Toei have officially confirmed that the Kiramager/Zero-One summer movie double bill, which was due to release in cinemas on July 23rd, is being held back. No word just yet as to what the new release date or alternative will be.

I heard about the '45 episodes' rumor too. Not sure where it came from. Could just be someone counting and realising that if Saber is still going to start on the first Sunday in September (as Build, Zi-O and Zero-One all did) then there are 10 more weekends left, which gives us our total. Presuming the show doesn't get pre-empted at any point during that time, of course.

raden238

Toei have officially confirmed that the Kiramager/Zero-One summer movie double bill, which was due to release in cinemas on July 23rd, is being held back. No word just yet as to what the new release date or alternative will be.

I heard about the '45 episodes' rumor too. Not sure where it came from. Could just be someone counting and realising that if Saber is still going to start on the first Sunday in September (as Build, Zi-O and Zero-One all did) then there are 10 more weekends left, which gives us our total. Presuming the show doesn't get pre-empted at any point during that time, of course.
I don't see how the Summer Movies are going to air in theaters. Besides the pandemic being an issue, Toei and Toku in general shifts into the next series so quickly, they want viewers to forget about the old shows and move on to the next one. I see Zero-One's summer movie being straight to Blu-Ray/DVD and maybe Kirameiger gets a release in January 2021 perhaps.

So I guess Zero-One will end at episode 45. From my understanding, it was originally going to be 47, so that means 2 less episodes of filler. YES!!
Do we have official confirmation from Toei that Zero-One is ending on August 30th, leaving us with 45 episodes? We have hints that it's ending in August since, in September they're already listing Saber's toys on the gashapon site. But that could still change. I'm actually surprised if we get Saber to premiere on schedule, given how everything got pushed back.

Had this show maintained the same momentum in the 20s that it had for the first 19-ish episodes, this would have easily cracked my top 10 list. Right now, I'm not sure. It will all depend on how this final arc plays out.
Well, I guess that they've had two .5 episodes, so maybe they had to count those as episodes-- hence 45.

That's cool, though. Final 10 episodes. Can't wait to see how it ends. So far, I don't really think it's cracked my top 5 seasons, but it far from the worst. It seemed a bit raw, like they had a lot of ideas for this season, but didn't get much of a chance for it all to settle in their minds. But I enjoyed it. Aruto, Fuwa, Yui, Izu & Jin were all great characters, & you can't really argue with that.
Zero-One has been an ok show for me, it's not bad, but lost a lot of momentum for me. It just seems like the show is stalling with finishing up the Thouser storyline and finally get to our final boss villain Ark.

Dr Kain

It's a shame as I really liked Thouser in the beginning. I even proclaimed him as the best evil rider since Leangle, but then he became everyone's *****. The only thing he is good for now is making everyone a sandwich.

Toku Prime

I don't see how the Summer Movies are going to air in theaters. Besides the pandemic being an issue, Toei and Toku in general shifts into the next series so quickly, they want viewers to forget about the old shows and move on to the next one. I see Zero-One's summer movie being straight to Blu-Ray/DVD and maybe Kirameiger gets a release in January 2021 perhaps.
I agree that it seems like delaying for a later cinema release seems difficult. Then again, the Robocon movie is still meant to be releasing on July 31st, bang on schedule. I don't know exactly what's going on in Japan.

I suppose if the 'Super Sentai Movie Party' (i.e. the double bill of Kirameiger's Episode Zero and the Ryusoul VS Lupin VS Pat movie) did well in February, they could always change plans to make another one of those consisting of this movie plus the Kiramei VS Ryusoul crossover (or even a triple bill if they want to do an episode zero for the next Sentai too, thought I suspect in that case they'd shorten the 'VS' film, as there seems to be an unwritten rule that you don't drift too far beyond 1 1/2 hours total).

I guess the Zero-One summer movie could get pushed into a post-season special slot? Toei doesn't seem to mind dragging out those. The Grease one was released over a year after Build finished. I guess it depends if they have something in the plot that stops it making sense to happen after the end of the series.

Toku Prime

Looks like principal filming on Zero-One is officially wrapped up! Everyone's tweeting pictures of receiving their flowers.

Last edited:

Toku Prime

We've finally had a date for the rescheduled Zero-One summer movie. It will come out on December 18th. The trailer teases whether Zero-One's final enemy will be human, an AI, or something else...while flashing up a picture of a new Rider.

This is Kamen Rider Eden. His character is apparently simply known as 'S.' He also appears in the final episode of Zero-One, where
he accepts an offer from As and declared that he will bring about the world's end in order to remake it as a paradise.

He is played by 45 year old actor Hideaki Ito, who says he has been watching the show every week along with his son, and been a fan of the franchise since he watched Skyrider as a kid.

Given that this movie has been pushed back into the slot that would typically have the annual crossover movie, it is unknown what is happening with that, or even if there will be one. This film is not being paired up in a double bill with the Kirameiger movie, which has been pushed to spring 2021.

Normally there would be announcements right after the final episode regarding post-season direct-to-video specials, but there has been no word as to whether Zero-One will get any of them either.

Mastodon