I think that having a 3 or 5 man team is still possible, it's only that in the resent years the end result has been, at least, been 5 man team.

But a ninja theme sentai this year is still cool.:castlerock::buttrock:

The issue isn't with a 3-man team. It's how the show was executed, like what happened with Go-Busters. To where it's ratings & sales were poor. In which, Bandai called it "dark".

I liked him when he wasn't a god
The issue isn't with a 3-man team. It's how the show was executed, like what happened with Go-Busters. To where it's ratings & sales were poor. In which, Bandai called it "dark".

I just personally don't like 'em. Not only because I prefer bigger casts, but because I feel that in basically every series with a team of three, there is some kind of agenda to push (Go-Busters's and Hurricaneger's were "trying to be different and flashy", Abaranger's was "imitating the successful Hurricaneger format", Gekiranger's was "excessively villain-heavy plot at the expense of the titular heroes", Liveman's was "dramatic anniversary show") so they go for something that is both different from the norm and cheaper to do. I don't like that kind of thing

R

raden238

Dukemon's latest as posted on Rangerboard:

Given the source, I'm hoping it's fake. I don't want to see another three-man team (although this sounds just like something Toei would do: they like three-man teams because it's cheaper for them to make and allows them to shoehorn in more merchandising stuff with the addition of robots or quirky non-human characters, so using it with a popular theme means a hit is more likely and then they can justify doing three-man teams more often)

I hope this is fake too. I am sick of this Sentai Color change. Toqger doing it made no sense and served no purpose whatsoever. Just a pointless gimmick. Gokaiger got it right. If Sentai Rangers start getting color/form changes, it's basically watching Kamen Rider. So then what's the point?? Isn't the whole purpose of watching these Toku shows is for the variety and differences?
As for the 3 team start up, I'm fine with it. It worked well in Hurricanger.

Would like to change his avatar
Where did you read this?
I agree it sounds like BS. But Karin as a senshi is very possible in my mind.

kakeru1986 posted one of those "actors with a colored frame around them" pictures like we usually get, which included those people I mentioned, but he deleted his post.

Toku Prince
Dukemon's latest as posted on Rangerboard:

Given the source, I'm hoping it's fake. I don't want to see another three-man team (although this sounds just like something Toei would do: they like three-man teams because it's cheaper for them to make and allows them to shoehorn in more merchandising stuff with the addition of robots or quirky non-human characters, so using it with a popular theme means a hit is more likely and then they can justify doing three-man teams more often)

It was an anonymous post so there's no way to verify the poster's credibility not to mention that lots of anons post weird rumours on 2chan.

Given the perceived failures of both Geki and Gobust, it'll be a long time before we get another 3-man team.

While Kyoryuger's extra Rangers may not have been great (I would not even dignify Shinya or Ulshade with the label of "suit-stuffer") I still prefer them to a show full of wacky robots or gonks in place of humans.

What you said was that a 3 members team means more merchandising and I just pointed that a certain number of rangers means nothing about the merchandising of a series.

And look how that worked out for sales!

My point. Whatever the number of rangers of the show, sales tend to be better when there are more gimmicky items to sell.

That leaves two or three of the team to be treated as extras, though - they don't get as much attention or focus as the core team. It is different from writing a full team of five core members who all have to be present and accounted for throughout the series.

It isn't true . Liveman gave as much importance to the the extra members after they joined. They are less developped since they join very late but we pretty much understand their character as well as the core three and it's interesting because they create a counterbalance to them, being motivated by revenge, when the core three are torn by the will of revenge, the feeling of protecting earth, and the feelings they have towards their former friends.

In Hurricaneger, the Goraiger are part of the main plot from episode 7 to episode 19 and then are completely part of the team. Shurikenger is the protector of Gozen same, which in the end is one of the most important part of the plot.

In Abaranger, Abareblack is their tutor, and the former lover of the main antagonist.
Abarekiller even becomes the leader of the villains! How could that be interpreted as not getting enough focus?

In the end, I feel that you're just thinking about Gekiranger, as we can see below because you're just talking ill of that one show.

Blunt additional rangers. Gekiranger.
Quirky characters. Gekiranger.

Kyoryu's toys were a hit though, and ToQger's are reportedly doing very well. I can't see them being that short of cash at the moment.

I was not saying that they wanted to do a cheap show for Nininger. I know they have cash. But again you implied that Toei loves 3 team members because it makes a cheaper show to create. I was actually stating that this is not related. Gekiranger probably used money for the quirky characters, they hired more actors for the villains, who still needed more suits actor for their henshined forms. Abaranger had to use the money for the seiyu of the dinosaurs. Man, I bet that if they had even more money, Kyoryuger would have had talking dinosaurs.

A budget means choices to make for the investors. Bandai decided after Go-busters, who didn't sell well, to invest more in Kyoryuger, so they made dozens of toys.

Toei probably wanted their airing rates back and made a show with lots of actors, an interesting story (from what I'm told), good weaponry and accessories, cool robots, etc. They invested, but they wanted their money back (and it makes sense)

Also there is the economy to take into account. Japanese tend to buy less, or cheaper things since the consumation tax went up last April. That can impact a budget, if they think there won't be any return on investment.

So to finish, maybe Ninninger will be a 3 members team, maybe a 5 members team. But, if it's a 3 members team, maybe they'll go full blast on the gimmicks to sell toys. Maybe they'll wanna try something new and use A LOT OF MONEY not on the actors.
Or maybe, they won't use money (because nobody wants to invest next year), and the results will be a 3 members team. Or it will be a 5 members team with really cheap actors, and no gimmicks.

My point is, you can't say there is a causality between 3 members team and budget.

Most of those examples relate to only one or two characters, while Go-Busters had four Buddyroids and Gekiranger had seven ... oh I can't remember what Shafu and the gang were called now

See above.