KR can get away with being serious these days, Sentai however can't. Since today's fans are more use to seeing it with a lighter tone than how it was in the 80's & 90's. Go-Busters was an attempt to go back to that serious tone, and it didn't work out, mostly due to ratings & sales. And Bandai calling it "dark" was enough to put the franchise in a holding pattern to where they can't take any risks with it.

Have you not seen 90s Sentai? Most may not be "dark" per say, but they're more "serious" than much of the current lot.

Henshin a Go-Go!!
Yes, but "dark" and "serious" don't inherently mean good just as "lighthearted" doesn't mean good. Tone is not indicative of quality.

Lurker
If it means getting Kakuranger vs Hurricanger vs Ninninger (what a lame name lol) I am okay with this repetition.

I'm cool with ninjas. There's a high possibility of getting a ninja sentai movie with all the other ninja sentai teams, so got that going for us which is nice.

We already know that most of the Hurricaneger cast is more than willing to come back.
As for the Kakuranger team, both NinjaRed and NinjaWhite are still in contact with Toei, and have done smaller roles here and there.
NinjaBlue's actor has been doing voice work in many recent Sentai shows.

Toei could easily make a crossover movie next year if they want to.
God I hope that happens!

If they do, I hope that they explain on how the Kakurangers get their powers back. Last time we checked, [HIDE]the Kakurangers used their Doron Changers to seal the "Seal Door" after they got Daimaoh inside.[/HIDE]

Other than that, it'll be sweet if Toei does so.

They don't even use "Ranger" anymore, at least not since Gekiranger. Now it's just "-ger" or "-nger".

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Toei goes for Ninninja, Nin-Ninja or Nin-Ninger as the official romanized name, not Ninninger (sort of like it being ToQger and not Tokkyuger).

Nor have they used the word, "Man" in the end since Gingaman.

Have you not seen 90s Sentai? Most may not be "dark" per say, but they're more "serious" than much of the current lot.

Especially with series like Jetman, the 2nd half of Kakuranger, & GoGoFive. Even other 90's series like Zyuranger, Dairanger, Carranger, & Megaranger tends to be serious at times.

I don't do sense
I like how it's the same handful of people every year complaining that, gasp, Sentai is lighthearted again.

Kiva was meant to be a comedy?

regardless, the reason I get upset about "lighthearted" sentai, is that I can't think of a single instance of me liking one. Kyoryuger almost ruined dinosaurs for me, and I'm doing a friggin palaeontology course.
To put it in perspective, my favourite sentai is Gobuster(s), and I strongly favour rider these days, so I guess I'm not into Japanese comedy all that much.