Is there an actual Utopia Dopant release on the horizon? If so, I could see this sort of custom auction as a threat to income and such.

Still, moving right to an arrest is a bit severe.

闇 戦士
Why doesnt Bandai just hire him? He has an awesome skill. They should use that talent instead of incarcerating him. They could really use him to milk our wallets but this time it would be legal. They're going to milk us anyway. So why not use his talent?

Maybe after he counts up his crimes they will consider it.:laugh:

HEROW
****! They arrested Ken? After I've been updating the SIC thread with all of his works?! DAMN YOU JAPANESE POLICE! :shakefist

Peek a Boo!
Why doesnt Bandai just hire him? He has an awesome skill. They should use that talent instead of incarcerating him. They could really use him to milk our wallets but this time it would be legal. They're going to milk us anyway. So why not use his talent?

Maybe after he counts up his crimes they will consider it.:laugh:

Agreed with this.

@ Musashi: Same here. I love their SIC customs especially the ones that looked liked it came from the show itself. Seriously, they should hire these guys in making a prototype SHF Shadow Moon figure!

Made an article about it based on the new sources that surfaced online:
http://orendsrange.blogspot.com/2011/01/2-hobbyist-arrested-for-modifying.html

In Japan, big companies, license-holders, do offer chances for hobbyists to sell their GKs in cetain events. All you have to do is to sign up some contracts and buy some instant license allowing you sell them WITHIN the event. It won't be too expensive, but enough for you to make profit.

Skipping this is an absolute violation of copyright. Especailly in Japan, a nation gives so much respects to copyright, infringement gets very serious.

And the saddest thing for these guys is not going into jail. If this incident is true, they has already lost their reputation to the GK/sculpting industry in Japan, forever. No one would give them a 2nd chance...... except if they decide to go overboard.

Last edited:
if you go to Osaka

hi

if you go to Osaka, there are over 20 stores selling customized SIC, figures
ive seen some really cool work, each figre w set you back around 400.us
at least you can get some figures not made in the SIC line

theyve been doing it for years, big deal

hi

if you go to Osaka, there are over 20 stores selling customized SIC, figures
ive seen some really cool work, each figre w set you back around 400.us
at least you can get some figures not made in the SIC line

theyve been doing it for years, big deal

Some GKs have the license to sell in stores.
And things sold in events (like Wonder Fest) could be sold again 2nd-handed. Maybe there's no hard rules regarding 2nd-handed stuff I think?
Then there's a grey area that you can't really tell if those are one-handed, 2nd-handed or 3rd-handed as long as everything's fnely packed? I don't know.

But when you are selling on an aution with an account that reads your own citizen informations, you are bascially telling everyone "Hi, I made these, and I'm selling them without license, buy them anyways!"

Last edited:
That is true. Breaking the law is breaking the law... So, you folks should also stop downloading Toku, Manga, and whatever it is that you illegally got from the web. :thumbs:
You don't have to stop. Just realize if you get caught, you brought it on yourself.

yeah i get ur point, but the thing is they are teaching us how to do it.
Its like telling people, i've teach you how to do it, now go n make something useful out of it.they just forgot to mention you cant sell it.i guess bandai just cant stand the money goes to other people's pocket instead of theirs.

They teach you how to customize your own figure. That's it. You can write your own Bleach fanfic, but don't be surprised when the copyright holder comes after you when you start making money.

The flip side of this is... did he even apply to work at Bandai doing figures?

From Ukiya's post:

The pair involved with the operation of a Niigata Toy Shop, were found to have modified a figure (to be exact SIC Apollo Geist) into a Custom made S.I.C. (Super Imaginative Chogokin) Utopia Dopant and selling the completed figure in Yahoo! Japan Auctions with a Tokyo resident closing the bid from the other 69 bids and acquiring the figure for ¥270,000 (about US$3,300).

That's the problem. They certainly didn't spend that much on the initial figure. So he was making a hefty profit using characters owned by Bandai and Toei.

あたりまえ
^ with that amount of money Ken can pay off the bail with a figure :p