Books Favourite books as a kid?

I was such a book worm when I was a kid. I was extremely shy so books played such an important role in my life. They were practically my best friends. Some of my favourite books include Roald Dalh's Matilda and Witches, The Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe by CS Lewis, Holes by Louis Sachar, Hansel and Gretel and a bunch of others but this is what I can think of at the top of my head.

What were some of your favourite books when you were younger?

The Narnia series is great! I enjoyed those very much as a kid. Another series I loved was Harry Potter. Those books take you out of reality so well. The character development is fantastic. Honestly, I shed many tears a number times. Most of them were spent on Dumbledore. It was so sad.

When I was very small, I loved "The Very Hungry Caterpillar". When I got a bit older, I read books by Enid Blyton and Judy Blume. We were fascinated with Blume's books as schoolgirls, we thought they were a bit "naughty", especially "Deenie" and "Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret"!

Last edited:
Mssbishi, at that young age I loved the Very Hungry Caterpillar. One of the first books I read, though, was Dr. Seuss' One Foot, Two Foot.

Another series I forgot to list was Ellen Hopkin's Crank as well as some of her other books. I read those as an adolescent. They inspired my writing style for awhile.

When I was in sixth grade I loved the book Star Girl by Jerry Spinelli! I know there's also a sequel to it as well and I read that too, and I loved them both. I also got into Harry Potter in sixth grade as well since we read the first book as a class, and that's basically when I became absolutely hooked on the series. Still am eight years later!

I was a huge fan of just about anything written by gary paulsen. The hatchet series was one of my favorite books as was 'The Transall Saga'. Apart from those my two favorite books were 'Holes' and 'The Giver', two movies I will not watch because I fear they wont do the books justice.

As a kid, I really loved to read fairy tales, mangas, comics... I also loved the Goosebumps series. And Harry Potter. Anything that I got my hand on, I loved, mostly! :3

Goosebumps series. Like any other kid I was into a lot of horror back in my childhood. I remember my father would bring home one Goosebump book from work and I'd read it. By the time I've finished the book in a few days he'd have another one ready. I had no idea where he was getting it, probably a coworker with a child that has the collection, but I pretty much had an unlimited supply of it until I wasn't that interested anymore.

Let's go on sharing God's given talents!
II grew up in a Catholic Christian family and I treat that as a great blessing from our Lord. And so, in relation to that, my favorite books as a kid were a set of Bible story books. It consists of the Story of Creation found in the book of Genesis, Noah and the Great Flood, Jonah and the big fish, and our Lord Jesus Christ's Passion, Death and Resurrection. These really made a great impact to me and my faith. All glory to our only one and loving God.

If we're talking about my earliest earliest favourite books - I have to say they were the Spot books. :D I don't think my Mom found them very interesting though (and I can see why now) so I didn't get to read quite as many of them as I wanted.

Moving on, while I was always a really avid reader I think the first books that really drew me in were the David Eddings Belgariad series when I was about 10 or so. I think it was the first time I was introduced to high fantasy and I was hooked - it was pretty much the only thing I'd read for the next 5 or 6 years. I read all the David Eddings books in my school library, Terry Brooks, Piers Anthony, Mercedes Lackey, Marion Zimmer-Bradley, Robert Jordon, etc. We didn't have Harry Potter back in those days, but I really don't know whether I would have been as drawn to it as I was to the other books, as they weren't high fantasy. I did enjoy reading Harry Potter when I got around to reading it though!