Music What Is Happening To Music?

Music is going downhill and sadly we can't even stop it.

There usually would be a glimmer of hope that somehow music can actually be saved. We saw Adele dominate that one year and now they are literally not even mention her name here in the USA. All I hear about is Miley Cyrus and how she is twerking nothing but skin and bone.

I'm sure everyone already knows this.. it's very easy to see that older generations have despised the earlier generations' music. You might not notice but, there are very young people answering this thread too... it says a lot in my opinion. I'm seeing more and more young people listening to the music I and my parents listened to. Not that I'm old, but I'm not in high school throwing my money at music anymore either. My oldest hates today's music too as do many of his friends. It's harder to find the talent because the age of tech is creating synthetic sounds in it's place and making horrible singers sound wonderful. Those with true talent have a following and deserve it, but I don't know of a time until now where they relied on anything but their talent. Good music still exists.. there's just more weeding involved.

I agree with you so much! There are a lot of people in my high school who are aiming to become rappers and music artists simply for the money. In my opinion, this is definitely not the way to go about it! To me, music is a passion and an art. What makes a song pleasurable is the message it conveys. Creating a song simply from an idea that came uninspired by a true life event or feeling will never be preferred by a larger audience! In my opinion, that is what gives music it's pleasurable sound; the dedication and work that one will put in when they are expressing themselves, because that is truly a lovely thing to experience and take hold of.

Music is changing along with everything else in this world. Some of its good and some is bad. It's people giving credit to the crappy songs that come out instead of listening to some new artist that have come out that are good. Also people now don't like to take the time to listen to other music out of there in the world.

Basically, this. If you don't go looking for music, you can't complain!
I agree with this. Good music is out there, it's just not mainstream. What is on the radio is what the music industry considers to be popular and commercially viable. So I agree that what is being pushed out in albums and on the radio leaves a lot to be desired, but that doesn't mean that music nowadays has gone to the dogs.

So Is It me or does ALL music these days sound exactly the same? I think the answer ton that is yes. All of the mainstream garbage sounds exactly the same and i am bored of it. I make music myself, and I love that, and when my stuff starts to sound anything like the rest of the music out there I always try to find a way to change it up.

it is hard to tell what genre is which these days too. I think that it all sounds very similar because most of today's artists are all using the same producers to produce their tracks. Every producer has a certain way of mixing and mastering their music.

I am an eclectic, so that means that I like all types of music. So have you heard any songs that differ from the mainstream machine just recently?
Well as an artist and a producer myself, I know exactly what your talking about. I don't listen to mainstream music anymore then I have to. I tend to listen from time to time just to see whats out there, but I listen to underground unsigned artist on Sound Cloud, for the most part. It's some great talent out there. The underground independent revolution is growing.

C

CyberGal

I hate to say it but I agree with you... I really don't like listening to the radio that much either because of this. When I do listen to the radio it's usually stuff from the 80's or 90's - those are 2 decades when the music sounded good instead of repetitive. I was just thinking this is probably I don't work on one of the money making sites that I have that asks me to write music reviews. I can't find anything good to say about the junk that keeps coming out. It's rare that I find anything good. Although there was someone on a local TV show this morning that I did enjoy and found "fresh." It's just so rare though...

While I agree with you completely, it also doesn't escape me that I think every generation feels this way at one point or another- part of it is just nostalgia and having this sense that it was somehow objectively "better" when we were younger, when in fact it was just different.

Music to me would be good for the certain decades that had certain songs. If you liked songs from the 90's then that is fine. The 90's were a great year of music since that time hiphop was getting more and more popular. I remembered DMX and his crazy self but he had some awesome songs like "Slippin" and "Up in Here" which were my favorites. He had released an album I think a few years ago. Other than that I have no clue what DMX is doing. I looked at music nowadays with artist like Lil Wayne and Drake and feel that they are not like the artist of the 90's. Nicki Minaj just ripped off "Baby Got Back" with her song "Anaconda" which shows that in the year 2014 you do not have to be original lol.

I pretty sure this is an old topic that EVERY generations has stated. What is popular to some isn't to others. What I think it comes down to is preference. If you're someone that likes a story to be told with your music, yeah, you may think music is horrible now or days. If you want something original, yeah, you're going to think it's horrible. If you want something that has substance, you're going to fall right back into that category.

However, instead of condemning all of "nowadays" music, search out there and actually FIND the ones that fall in line with what you like because I HIGHLY doubt you've listened to all the songs that's been produced in all the previous years. What instead you mean to say is: "I'm tired of all the music that gets published and gets a high following because it follows a since formula that the COMPANIES think people want." Instead of just being tired of today's music.

Thank you and have a nice day.

I don't think anything has really happened to music. I just think that the music that is put in the forefront isn't the best. I'm an independent music, art, and fashion blogger so I can honestly say some of the best music out today is coming from the independent scene. It's a big reason why you see a lot of these mainstream artists working with people that you've probably never heard of. I also think that 2014 has had the most "debut albums" of any year in a really long time.