Have you ever read a book, then watched the movie and leave the theater shaking your head? I have. I read Angels and Demons, and D'Vinci Code. I loved reading the books. The details that are important are conveyed dramatically. However, when I saw the movie, there were plenty of aspects that were not explained, not covered, or simply the clues where placed on the screen but were not understandable.

What book have you read, watch the movie, and felt what I did?
Or what book have you read, watch the movie, and were pleased?

When The Last Song was in theaters, my friends convinced me to read the book so we could go and see the movie together. I couldn't even finish the movie because it was so completely different than the book. Not only did they change the plot (like most) but they also changed the personalities of the characters. I never understood why they did that, but it was really awful.

I think one of the best adaptations I saw was The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I think the movie stayed very true to the book, and the casting was well done.

I know one movie that is coming that I refuse to watch it: The Giver.

They changed key aspects of the character and made a joke out of this book. This book wasn't about action and thrills! This was a book about a boy who was twelve and experiencing what the world was like previously. Not a blasted eighteen year old kid that was fighting and doing all these tricks to survive! I would HIGHLY recommend anyone read this book and just stick to it rather than the movie. Don't give this garbage any revenue for what they did this, please.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is, The Hobbit. However, in this case, many aspects in the movie are not in the book. This is mainly because the director needed more film. I personally enjoy both for what they are.

Books provide far more details than movies and often you can get a sense of what the main character is really like which is sometimes lost in movies. Also quite often there are more books in a series than films meaning the books not only provide a longer story they always complete the story whereas some film series do a film for the first books and then stop leaving the story unfinished. And sometimes movies are simply rubish in comparision to their books, for example the eragon movies was not even half as good as the series of books.

C

CyberGal

This is actually why I don't like watching movies after having read the book. I like to read a lot of books and could have watched a lot of these movies but have chosen not to. I'd rather leave some things to my imagination. Everyone's imagination is going to be different whenever they read a book, which is why it's going to be impossible to find someone who's going to make the movie the way you think it should be made. I'd rather not be disappointed in this way so I avoid it all together.

I hate watching the movies of books I've read. They're never as good and it's always a let down. The entire LOTR and Hobbit series, Hunger Games, Angels & Demons, NONE of those lived up to the books in my eyes. The only book that translated to screen I've seen was Diary of a Wimpy Kid but that was because both were idiotic. I love The Hobbit and I get that they're trying to milk it for as much money as possible, but enough is enough already.

Even the classics like Pride & Prejudice and Beowulf got slaughtered.

I usually prefer movies over book even if the books are really good. If I encounter a movie that is based on the book and the movie is really good, it might make me consider reading the book as well. I saw the Lord of the Rings movies and really liked them, then I gave the books a try and I enjoyed those as well. I think that's the last time that really happened though.

Hands down the book. No mater how hard they try there is so much in a book that simply cannot be conveyed in a film. I can't think of a single instance where the movie was better than the book. Sometimes the movie gets close but to me the book is always the winner.

For the most part I find that I enjoy the book far more than I enjoy the movie adaptation. The only exception I can think of were the Lord of the Rings movies. I liked the books, but I always found Tolkien's descriptions of the huge epic battles to be confusing an hard to follow. Being able to actually see the battle unfold made them far easier to follow.