Tech What do you do with your old phone if you buy a new one?

In another thread, I have asked how often you guys get a new phone. Some have stated once every two years, some said about 3 to 4 years, and some less than two years. Now, my question is, what do you do with your old phone when you get a new one?

I once gave a phone to a place that collected broken Iphones. I can't sell any of the other phones I've had.

I almost never get a new phone unless my previous one is broken (or in other times, stolen or lost) - so I guess I don't know what to say here. Lol :D

In another thread, I have asked how often you guys get a new phone. Some have stated once every two years, some said about 3 to 4 years, and some less than two years. Now, my question is, what do you do with your old phone when you get a new one?

Hi lindbergh,

Great question and I hopefully have an answer you can get behind. If we donate our unused cell phones to the organization Cell Phones for Soldiers, they extract all useable parts, recycle them and benefit overseas soldiers by sending them calling cards so they can call home. They can connect with family here once in awhile and make spouses, children, sig. others, happy for awhile along with themselves. Here is the link and I hope this guides some folks to do something productive and selfless for those in harm's way, protecting our freedom.
http://www.cellphonesforsoldiers.com/ There are plenty of other charities out there to donate a phone to if this one isn't a fit. Small sacrifice for something you no longer need.

Thanks

Great information Fitzythird, I forgot that can be done. I remember that program from the early 2000, but I did not know it was still going on.

I keep it in one of my desks since I have no more use for them. However, recycling it and extracting the parts out of it and shipping it overseas is a great idea. I would love to support our soldiers, and I know how much family means to everyone, especially soldiers that have been on duty for years and haven't had a chance to talk with their family.

Thanks for sharing Fitzythird!

Great information Fitzythird, I forgot that can be done. I remember that program from the early 2000, but I did not know it was still going on.

You and I both remember Iraq rzashida. After I did that post all "high and mighty", I found 3 cell phones around the house, in various drawers and dark places that have not made it to donation yet! I will take my kids this weekend and show them how important it to give something and shed my hypocrisy! My son seems to think there is another one kicking around.

I keep it in one of my desks since I have no more use for them. However, recycling it and extracting the parts out of it and shipping it overseas is a great idea. I would love to support our soldiers, and I know how much family means to everyone, especially soldiers that have been on duty for years and haven't had a chance to talk with their family.

Thanks for sharing Fitzythird![/quote

Glad to share and see folks like you following up! By the end of the weekend, this one thread started by lindbergh could help some of our service men and women out, along with their families. Great question by lindbergh and great follow up by everyone else. We should reconvene on Monday and see how many phones we were able to throw together and get over there. Here is a tip....If you don't know a designated drop off site close by, many firefighters, town workers and police officers are veterans. If you take the phones to a local fire or police station, they can usually either take care of getting them in the right hands or point you in the right direction. Sometimes public libraries and VFW posts (Veterans of Foreign Wars) will do the same. Good Luck and God Bless America!

I should have also included our European and Canadian friends on that. They too have many service people deployed and I'm sure have the same cell phone programs available for their service members. We are all in this, the fight against terrorism, together and we Americans should keep that in mind.

Depending on how long you wait, the decision on what to do with an old phone will change. If the old phone still has some value left in the market, a good last hurrah is to sell it as a used unit then use the proceeds to purchase the new unit. I change mine maybe every 3 to 4 years which is a good time in between new technologies to keep abreast. Another thing to do with old units is to keep one as a backup.