When I said I wanted a Z sequel, I did not mean that I wanted it downgraded and crammed onto a handheld.

Wake me up when Banpresto starts making full fledged SRWs again. It's been nothing but spnioffs and handhelds since the end of '08, with the lone exception being the throwaway once-a-generation 3D title.

Nice post!!
It's something like that. IIRC, Rand turns on Asakim once it becomes clear that Asakim is tormenting Setsuko in exceptionally cruel ways to try and make her produce the Sphere he needs. Basically Rand figures out he's being used. There's a scenario on the Special Disc where Rand and Setsuko team up.

Asakim's deal is (again IIRC) that he's immortal due to his bond with his robot and he desperately wants to find a way to die. The best way he's discovered is find all the Spheres and collapse the known multiverse, which would destroy everything (including himself).

Setsuko's Sphere is activated by despair, so to get it, Asakim needs to make her as miserable and hopeless as possible. He tries to do this by murdering all of her friends and then impersonating her dead lover so he can betray her. Mail also has a Sphere that's activated by something-or-other, which is why Asakim hangs around Rand.

As for Z2 being handheld, remember that the PS2 is no longer a viable system and the PS3 is not actually very popular in Japan. The PSP is actually the most popular video game system in Japan right now, since it combines graphics and portability. So Banpresto is probably just doing what they've gotta to get the game published.

That said... I bet Terada probably pushed to have this released on the PS3 as an insanely long 2D game (probably similar to Impact, which looked and played like a really long PSX-era game). PS3 games sell like complete ass compared to PSP games in Japan, though, while having way higher production costs.

I kinda get the feeling that the Wii might have become the home of console SRW games if Neo hadn't underperformed as much as it did.

(Though, from what I understand, the reason for Neo's failure was less anything wrong with the game itself and more that it picked one of the worst weeks possible to get released that year.)

In Justice, We Trust!
Wonder if Kamina will be a secret character so he still can pilot Gurren after.... you know:sweat:

That's the thing with Super Robot Wars...it almost never follows exactly what the show does. I'd say there's a good 50/50 chance of Kamina being kept as one of the pilots.

Last edited:
Continuing the Creddie legacy
Well I can use 2 Gurens then (both Geass and GL)!

but here's hoping Z2 part 2 will be on PS3 next.

Nice post!!
Some more facts coming out about the game, from various fan-translations:

- Dai-Guard was included because Gundam 00's director expressed great interest in having Dai-Guard appear alongside 00.
- One of the Originals will be designed by one of the mechanical designers who worked on Shin Mazinger.
- Gurren-Lagann can appear in Z2 because GAINAX acquired the video game rights to the franchise back from Konami in June 2010.
- Z2 will not use any sort of squad system, it will be a traditional SRW.

That's the thing with Super Robot Wars...it almost never follows exactly what the show does. I'd say there's a good 50/50 chance of Kamina being kept as one of the pilots.

A "save Kamina" option would probably be along the same lines as some of the "save Gai from Nadesico" options of the past.

Like, it would only be possible on a New Game+ and/or you'd have to meet some kind of completely insane secondary objective to pull it off.

Nice post!!
A "save Kamina" option would probably be along the same lines as some of the "save Gai from Nadesico" options of the past.

A lot of "save Gai" objectives in SRW are actually pretty simple to meet. In a few games, Gai automatically doesn't die, so you don't have to do any work to keep him! There's one game in particular that took this so far, they created a Prince of Darkness-style design for Gai because the script simply called for him to be there.

Everywhere You Go
Yay! Thank you Seiji Mizushima! It's because of you and perhaps others that Dai-Guard is in SRW Z 2!:D

Nice post!!
The first Z2 preview video is expected to launch around the 12th of this month.

EDIT: An interesting thing-- on the official Z2 series roster, the version of Zeta Gundam that they're using is explicitly the TV version. Z was the big debut for the Zeta movies in SRW. I wonder if the second half of Z2 will feature Gundam ZZ?

Last edited: