Have to admit, Ultraman is a grey area in my toku knowledge.
I've pretty much seen at least some of everything but it.

My friend told me he really liked it but I sorta shurgged it off.
Oddly, I've now got a sudden urge to watch it.
Obviously I can't start from the beginning due to lack of subs and it'd be SO MUCH to watch from the start.

Looking for something with modern production values and an interesting plot.

..not Ultra Galaxy Monster Battle, I tried to watch that but it didn't seem to have an actual y'know.. Ultraman.. in it.

Eye See You
Since ur with all subs stuff. I'd go with Ultraman Max, then Nexus, the Mebius.

That trio is sure to get you excited about the Ultra Familia.

Find the 1966 Original series dubbed in English!

I think it was the best of the entire lot (modern production values alone do not make a good show!).

Eye See You
Going original like that may not be the best movie for a modern toku viewer. You need to guide them into being fans slowly.

I'm not that new, I like Showa Kamen Rider and 90s Sentai. :p
and I'm no stranger to low production values (Ryukendo anyone?)

Where can I get that subbed trilogy, and which should I watch first, FK?

I think after I've watched those I'll watch the original dubbed with my little brother. (If you could point me in the direction of that i'd be thankful too)

Mad Skillz
Max is really the most modern series that will give you the best taste of what the Ultra series is really all about. (if you ever decide to go raw, I'd also say Gaia is an awesome series to watch as well), you can find Max on Demonoid, Nexus and TV-N, and Mebius is a bit more tricky.

Banned
Since ur with all subs stuff. I'd go with Ultraman Max, then Nexus, the Mebius.

That trio is sure to get you excited about the Ultra Familia.

Nexus is the only one that stands out. I think people should watch it last. But if they are going to watch it, then yeah... Don't watch it first.

Okay so, as per suggestions I'll start with Max, then watch Mebius and Nexus alongside the original dubbed

You could also go for one of the classic compilation movies like "Ultraman Zoffy" or "The Ultraman Story" - not sure if they're subbed anyplace, but they're mostly fight scene compilations so it shouldn't matter too much. They provide a great overview so you can decide if you like the stuff or not.

I'm actually just getting back into this stuff after almost 15 years away, so I am just not familiar with the new series at all, but if Forever Knight is right then it may be better to follow his advice!