Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider feat. Skull Movie Taisen Core 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
二番目の翻訳者
@kou: I'm not sure how much this would mean, but user based reviews on Yahoo Japan seem to give Movie Wars 2010 a 3.2% rating while Movie War Core got 4.1%. I already know that the box office is relative to what else was released, but like nerefir said, most of the box office this week was new releases. Though I'm just hoping it's better than Climax Deka where that got the top spot but only had a million in its opening weekend. Don't see actual figures released on any of the movies sites just yet for this film.

The thing is, though, all the other new releases debuted out of the Top 3... my inclination would be to think that Tron and Shrek basically just flopped/underperformed on their own merits. (Shrek is understandable since it's a 6-month-old movie based on a stagnating franchise. Tron is a little more surprising.) Harry Potter hemorrhaged in its second weekend in the US (as those sorts of front-loaded Blockbusters tend to do), so I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar thing happen to it in Japan.

Looking at last year's rankings at this time, it looks like the only reason 2010 didn't take the #1 spot is because it debuted against the One Piece movie. (It did rank above Up, which was in its second week, but was also a 6-month-old release by that time).

A to Z looks to have done comparatively poorly, debuting in 3rd beneath two movies already in theaters. The movies were the most recent Ghibli and Toy Story 3, though, so read into it what you will.

It's definitely something that would be interesting to see the actual grosses for.

Mad Skillz
The thing is, though, all the other new releases debuted out of the Top 3... my inclination would be to think that Tron and Shrek basically just flopped on their own merits. (Shrek is understandable since it's a 6-month-old movie based on a stagnating franchise. Tron is a little more surprising.) Harry Potter hemorrhaged in its second weekend in the US (as those sorts of front-loaded Blockbusters tend to do), so I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar thing happen to it in Japan.

Looking at last year's rankings at this time, it looks like the only reason 2010 didn't take the #1 spot is because it debuted against the One Piece movie. (It did rank above Up, which was in its second week, but was also a 6-month-old release by that time).

A to Z looks to have done pretty badly, debuting in 3rd beneath two movies already in theaters. The movies were the most recent Ghibli and Toy Story 3, though, so read into it what you will.

It's definitely something that would be interesting to see the actual grosses for.
I would say A to Z did pretty well in the long run, it ended its run with $16,704,506 and actually managed to rise from 8th to 6th in its 4th weekend. Unless you're just talking about opening weekends, then totally disregard this post!

And even though those movies might be six months older, it's still their first wide release in Japan for a lot of them, isn't it? I would think that might count for something in what's expected of it.

I am being somewhat serious. I think it's genuinely destructive to tell fans that they should be happy if their fan-thing makes money and that they shouldn't question that feeling. It's a mindset that will cause more grief in the long run than anything else.

The flipside of celebrating when your thing makes a lot of money is that when it doesn't make a lot of money... you know, how should fans act them? Typically they go into ludicrous hand-wringing and act all miserable, often for no real reason. Remember people freaking out when Ultra Galaxy Legends "appeared" to be doing poorly in theaters last year?

Except it wasn't doing badly, it's that people didn't understand how to read Japanese box office charts. It actually did perfectly well and got a sequel that will also probably do perfectly well. Likewise, here we don't know if W and/or OOO are super-popular or if it was just a slow week at the Japanese box office.

We'll need more numbers to determine that, as you rightfully point out. We know we have a #1 but without gross and total number of theaters, we don't know if it's a meaningful #1. It's perfectly possible for movies to take a #1 box office position and then be considered unsuccessful based on performance in successive weeks.

Now, I don't think it's likely at all that Movie Taisen 2011 will be unsuccessful, but this is the sort of movie where success is really all but guaranteed. Japan consistently loves Kamen Rider movies, even badly-reviewed movies and movies from poorly-regarded sub-brands end up doing well enough. At this point I think it would take a multi-year string of really bad/unappealing KR films to break that winning streak.
I haven't really seen anyone really get on other people for acting that way...well, aside from nere, but I think that was probably just a bought of annoyance she might have been going through.

Though about that Ultra Galaxy thing...wasn't that just that one really annoying guy who tried to push Ultraman down everyone's throat? Seems like he was more the exception than the norm. (though I will say that I totally forgot Zero comes out this week and not last, so I was freaking when I didn't see it in the top ten)

I think most people are just happy when it happens to do well and a little bummed when it doesn't, but there are always those few who are just a little...y'know. Obnoxious.

But, yeah, shall wait for the actuals to come in. I know very well how meaningless a number one can be, saw that firsthand when AAA managed to grab a number one hit in Japan...only for it to have it be the lowest selling number one ever.

Last edited:
私の占いは当たる
Do you mean look through their eyes? That happened when OOO used the lock-on ability of the Taka head during his scanning charge twice. But when did we see through Decade's eyes? I really would like to see! Seeing through his eyes would be awesome!:D

I'm talking about the view from inside the helmet, like in the net movie. I'm interested to know where the seeing-holes are in those helmets.

The thing is, though, all the other new releases debuted out of the Top 3... my inclination would be to think that Tron and Shrek basically just flopped/underperformed on their own merits. (Shrek is understandable since it's a 6-month-old movie based on a stagnating franchise. Tron is a little more surprising.) Harry Potter hemorrhaged in its second weekend in the US (as those sorts of front-loaded Blockbusters tend to do), so I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar thing happen to it in Japan.

A to Z looks to have done comparatively poorly, debuting in 3rd beneath two movies already in theaters. The movies were the most recent Ghibli and Toy Story 3, though, so read into it what you will.

Space Battleship Yamato seems to have gone the same way as you say Harry Potter did, starting at #1 and just kind of sitting around waiting to fall off the radar. (I generally don't pay attention to movies here anymore, so I wouldn't really know.) I do agree the grosses will be interesting to analyze further.

I'm just happy to see something I like doing well. :anime:

二番目の翻訳者
I would say A to Z did pretty well in the long run, it ended its run with $16,704,506 and actually managed to rise from 8th to 6th in its 4th weekend. Unless you're just talking about opening weekends, then totally disregard this post!

And even though those movies might be six months older, it's still their first wide release in Japan for a lot of them, isn't it? I would think that might count for something in what's expected of it.

I am just talking comparing opening weekends -- but as you say, it kind of goes to show that the opening weekend doesn't tell the whole story. They can be a "moral victory" for a movie, of course, but it isn't the whole of the matter.

As Lynxara says, putting too much weight on any one box office determiner can be a double-edged sword.

I honestly have no idea how the release lag affects box office gross, since it's just not something the US box office ever has to worry about. :sweat: Maybe some of our east Asian or European posters could shed some light on that? Is there usually a big buzz leading up to movies that have had a six-month release lag?

Nice post!!
Though about that Ultra Galaxy thing...wasn't that just that one really annoying guy who tried to push Ultraman down everyone's throat? Seems like he was more the exception than the norm.

Hahah, I remember him. I think his big bugbear as yelling about how the N-Project sucked because it "lost money" if anybody dared mention Nexus in an Ultraman thread, right?

I do remember him freaking out in the UGL thread, but I also remember other people who aren't so typically high-strung freaking out with him. A lot of people seemed to seriously think the movie could only be called successful if it beat out Movie Taisen 2010 at least. Some people really seemed to think it should beat a hyped-to-the-moon One Piece movie.

I recall that the general freak-out didn't end until a guy with more detailed figures stepped in and mentioned stuff like UGL being a more limited release, so while it made better bank per theater than Movie Taisen 2010 it was just airing in fewer theaters. We still got our sequel made in the same style, so Tsuburaya at least was happy.

There's a certain amount of "go team!!" to seeing your favorite thing do well in a way you can quantitatively validate. That's natural and understandable. I just don't think that feeling should be taken too seriously, or the numbers taken at face value. Context is king and often with Japanese properties it's not immediately easy to work out context.

Why should anyone here be happy about something this intangible and banal? In fact, why should anyone give a **** about Movie War 2011's box office at all?

It's not like anyone here is getting a cut of it. It's not like more than one of us got to see it and contribute to that gross. It's not like good box office will get it overseas release. It's not like the future of the Rider movie franchise was ever in any doubt. It's not even like the future of OOO was in doubt!

Movie Taisen 2011's box office is totally irrelevant to 99.9% of the people who post here. It is slobbering nonsense of the highest caliber to say anyone is obligated to be happy about it.

Because now we know. Rider > Shrek.

私の占いは当たる
Ask and ye shall recieve.
http://movie.goo.ne.jp/ranking/boxoffice/

274 screens
325,667 viewers
¥370,124,400 (US$4,417,800.06)
111.6% of the summer movie's take

全国274スクリーンで公開され、初日2日間成績は動員32万5667人、興収3億7012万4400円となり、今年8月公開の『仮面ライダー/天装戦隊ゴセイジャー』との興収対比111.6%と、定番の夏シリーズを上回るヒットスタートをきった。

For another comparison, Movie Wars 2010 did ¥461,226,010 ($5,096,420 ) in the opening weekend.

It was actually an opening bigger than even All Riders', but it also fell quicker than it, so Movie Wars Core could still catch up.

Last edited:
二番目の翻訳者
For comparison, Movie Wars 2010 did ¥457,730,375 ($5,096,420 ) in the opening weekend.

It was actually an opening bigger than All Riders, but it also fell quicker than it, so Movie Wars Core could still catch up.

Now that would make a lot of sense, for 2010 to open stronger but fall faster. Especially if the user ratings AoiK posted before hold up.

For another comparison, Movie Wars 2010 did ¥461,226,010 ($5,096,420 ) in the opening weekend.

It was actually an opening bigger than even All Riders', but it also fell quicker than it, so Movie Wars Core could still catch up.

That's because in Moive War Decade was riding W coattails. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.