1279888881713.jpg

Whoa! Mechagomora looks absolutely sleek!

The trailer for the Zero video looks to be a lot of fun! Indeed, there's more actual sets, rather than the bluescreen! Hopefully, Tsuburaya dropped the Visual Translation System like a ton of bricks, as it should be.

Mad Skillz
For some reason, I get the feeling the dropping of the VTS will only be for the side stories since they do look sorta low budget.

Anywho. Feels awesome to be a fan of the ZAP characters, two series, a movie, and now they come back in these specials as well.

Banned
As usual, the sets sucked. I'm never really a fan of miniatures, that's why Ultra Galaxy was a breath of freash air for me. Hope they use the VTS again and only use set when it's a realistic place. There's now way set can create the land of light as beautiful as greenscreen, unless you want the sucktastic land of light as shown in Ultraman Taro. Daikamonohashi, you seem to never waste time to show your hard-on toward sets do you?

Last edited:
As usual, the sets sucked. I'm never really a fan of miniatures, that's why Ultra Galaxy was a breath of freash air for me. Hope they use the VTS again and only use set when it's a realistic place. There's now way set can create the land of light as beautiful as greenscreen, unless you want the sucktastic land of light as shown in Ultraman Taro.

I'm fine with a place like the Land of Light being all CGI and I'm not against the use of CGI as a whole. That said, there is really no excuse for using all CGI-backgrounds for locations like the Monster Graveyard, K76, or Planet Dent, especially when Tsuburaya has shown themselves perfectly capable of gorgeous canyon sets like this one from Nexus.

[hide]
2QgO6.jpg
[/hide]

The Visual Translation System, on the other hand, is a whole other story. From what I have seen, it severely hampers a director's ability to be as wildly creative as so many Ultra series episodes often are and it completely destroys opportunities for the kind of beautiful location shooting you get to see in series such as Ultraman Max, dooming us to nothing but Ultra Galaxy-quality series for as long as the system is implemented in its current form. That's not even getting into the inherent promotion of xenophobia. >>

But really, you'd probably never see episodes like this again:

[hide]luCio.jpg[/hide]

Instead, you'd get nothing but bland Ultra Galaxy wastelands or hollow CGI backgrounds. I say to hell with that.

Daikamonohashi, you seem to never waste time to show your hard-on toward sets do you?

No, I don't because physical sets and practical effects are one of my very favorite things about film and there are few things that I love more in this genre than a well-crafted miniature set. I like the idea that I could reach through my screen and touch the buildings I'm seeing. I love knowing that they are just as real and tangible as you and I are.

One could argue that Tsuburaya's sets aren't the best and I won't deny that (even though I love them just as much). Instead of saying they shouldn't use them at all, it's a question of HOW they are implemented. Look at Star Wars Episode III, for example. Lots of CG backgrounds right? Actually, it got an award for the most miniatures ever used in a film. You might think the same of Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus but that too uses a TON of practical effectswork, including lots of miniatures at varying scales.

Then look at Japan. Look at Shusuke Kaneko's Gamera trilogy and his Godzilla film, GMK. All four of those films implement miniature effectswork AMAZINGLY. Seriously, go watch Gamera III and tell me otherwise. And even Tsuburaya themselves pulled off some astoundingly great effectswork for Ultraman the Next but after that they started channeling classic effectswork until Ultra Galaxy Legends came around. But then that gets into an argument about style and that's neither here nor there (personally, I love the stylized look of the two Ultra Brothers films as much as I love the realistic look of The Next and the differently stylized look of UGL).

Man, I'm really tired of your complaining for sets, Daikamonohashi

Then I recommend either getting used to it or adjusting your settings to ignore me if it is so troubling to you.

I'm fine with a place like the Land of Light being all CGI and I'm not against the use of CGI as a whole. That said, there is really no excuse for using all CGI-backgrounds for locations like the Monster Graveyard, K76, or Planet Dent, especially when Tsuburaya has shown themselves perfectly capable of gorgeous canyon sets like this one from Nexus.

[hide]
2QgO6.jpg
[/hide]

The Visual Translation System, on the other hand, is a whole other story. From what I have seen, it severely hampers a director's ability to be as wildly creative as so many Ultra series episodes often are and it completely destroys opportunities for the kind of beautiful location shooting you get to see in series such as Ultraman Max, dooming us to nothing but Ultra Galaxy-quality series for as long as the system is implemented in its current form. That's not even getting into the inherent promotion of xenophobia. >>

But really, you'd probably never see episodes like this again:

[hide]luCio.jpg[/hide]

Instead, you'd get nothing but bland Ultra Galaxy wastelands or hollow CGI backgrounds. I say to hell with that.

No, I don't because physical sets and practical effects are one of my very favorite things about film and there are few things that I love more in this genre than a well-crafted miniature set. I like the idea that I could reach through my screen and touch the buildings I'm seeing. I love knowing that they are just as real and tangible as you and I are.

One could argue that Tsuburaya's sets aren't the best and I won't deny that (even though I love them just as much). Instead of saying they shouldn't use them at all, it's a question of HOW they are implemented. Look at Star Wars Episode III, for example. Lots of CG backgrounds right? Actually, it got an award for the most miniatures ever used in a film. You might think the same of Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus but that too uses a TON of practical effectswork, including lots of miniatures at varying scales.

Then look at Japan. Look at Shusuke Kaneko's Gamera trilogy and his Godzilla film, GMK. All four of those films implement miniature effectswork AMAZINGLY. Seriously, go watch Gamera III and tell me otherwise. And even Tsuburaya themselves pulled off some astoundingly great effectswork for Ultraman the Next but after that they started channeling classic effectswork until Ultra Galaxy Legends came around. But then that gets into an argument about style and that's neither here nor there (personally, I love the stylized look of the two Ultra Brothers films as much as I love the realistic look of The Next and the differently stylized look of UGL).

Then I recommend either getting used to it or adjusting your settings to ignore me if it is so troubling to you.

Thank you!

I still say Tsuburaya should drop the VTS like a ton of bricks. (It looks like they're starting to do that!) It is not needed, when you could use digital compositions to create practical FX, like humans actually in a kaijuu footage. (This worked quite well, even in the 90s.)

Miniature work is one of the great staples of tokusatsu. If it is abandoned completely, it would lose the charm. One of the greatest things about tokusatsu is the handcrafted stuff.

Of course, this is not to say CGI should not be used. I don't care if they use the CGI Land of Light again, that's okay by me. They just shouldn't take digital FX for granted.

Banned
Well, I still stand by that the miniature are trash and looked really fucking fake. I never really like Gamera nor the 1990's trilogy, it's highly overrated for me. Japanese miniature are BAD, IMO. Maybe if they got bigger budget.
Oh well, thank god Tsuburaya will listen more the Japanese fandom who actually like UGL digital backlot style rather than ugly miniatures. I'm really glad I'm not one of those guys that got object sexuality