HEROW
You know the first two Grudge remakes were directed by the original guy right?

Yeah, but you know how Hollywood is sooo good in screwing up a lot of stuff, just like the Spanish original version of "Quarantined" called "REC".

Oh, they covered every important thing that happened. Just without all the extra stuff. In fact, the movie's only barely watchable if you've seen the original series. Without it, you'd be mostly lost I'd think.

Well, I just hope Momo and Appa is as lovable as they were in the series. :laugh:

二番目の翻訳者
You know the first two Grudge remakes were directed by the original guy right?

The original Grudge movies were also pretty bad, IMO. I just don't know, of all the J-Horror movies they could get the original director back for to do a direct translation, why did it have to be those movies? :redface2:

I didn't mind the Ring remake... too much. Lousy extraneous chase scene, lousy extraneous visual effects, lousy kid-Sadako... but it was better than I went in expecting.

(This has got to be some kind of speed record for thread derails, hasn't it?)

HEROW
The original Grudge movies were also pretty bad, IMO. I just don't know, of all the J-Horror movies they could get the original director back for to do a direct translation, why did it have to be those movies? :redface2:

I didn't mind the Ring remake... too much. Lousy extraneous chase scene, lousy extraneous visual effects, lousy kid-Sadako... but it was better than I went in expecting.

(This has got to be some kind of speed record for thread derails, hasn't it?)

Sorry to contribute in derailing it even further. :sweat:

But Asian horrors are definitely different from western ones. I usually love my hack and slash here and there, but there is still something creepy with a walking dark mass in a shape of a girl walking slowly towards you since it is pretty much part of Asian folklore so I'm pretty familiar with that kind of content since the elders often scare us with those tales when I was a kid.

Anyway, back to the topic...

I just really hope they make this movie as epic as the manga. Right casting, right pacing, and if possible, they should divide it to be a multi-part movie to give justice to details often left-out when making a 2-hour transition from books or a hundred+ volume manga.

Well, I just hope Momo and Appa is as lovable as they were in the series. :laugh:

Together they get like 5 minutes of screentime total, and I don't remember anyone referring to them by name.

Together they get like 5 minutes of screentime total, and I don't remember anyone referring to them by name.
Aang said Momo's name once, but I don't remember him saying Appa. I only remember, "Yip yip!"

...yeah, sure, why not?

Anywho! Basically, after the final episode of the second Fullmetal Alchemist series aired, there was a movie announcement. People assumed there was going to be an animated movie, but now there are rumors flying all over place, with apparently a direct confirmation from a staff member at a French anime con, that the movie is going to be a live action toku flick, with one report just saying all they're waiting for is a press announcement. So, thoughts?

Personally, I think with a movie having the budget of the recent Yamato movie (which I know, is insanely high for Japanese standards), or somewhere close, this could be a pretty awesome idea. The whole thing I think people would be bothered with is the fact that a lot of the characters are based on Europeans, buuuut I think a decent cast might get rid of those complaints.

At this point it's still a rumor, the live action bit, that is, but I thought it deserved a thread.

The casting idea is about as bad as what M.Night's whitewashing of Avatar: The Last Airbender. If anything, I want Hollywood to adapt it . And since most of the characters are white besides the Ishbalans and the Chinese kingdom, they would have no prob. But my major concern would be if they made the Ishbalans the token evil minority and demonized them.

I really don't want Japan to make one since it would look as bad as the Death Note films effects wise and the casting would look terrible if they made a Japanese guy wear blond hair wigs like in the Sailor Moon toku. While i do understand they have a homogenous population , they should be able to get white actors to do the roles over there or get some from America ala that live action Gundam movie. They'd have the problem of location and that's where the film could get pricey . They'd have to film in Western Europe and Greece/ Turkey for their Ishbal scenes.

I really don't want Japan to make one since it would look as bad as the Death Note films effects wise and the casting would look terrible if they made a Japanese guy wear blond hair wigs like in the Sailor Moon toku. While i do understand they have a homogenous population , they should be able to get white actors to do the roles over there or get some from America ala that live action Gundam movie. They'd have the problem of location and that's where the film could get pricey . They'd have to film in Western Europe and Greece/ Turkey for their Ishbal scenes.

I really didn't think the Death Note films were all that bad. If anything, I could stomach them a little better than the actual series, and I wouldn't dare touch the manga. And I'm the kind of guy who hates following the story of the villain.

And also, if you are going to do all that, you might as well let America make a live action FMA movie. I think Japan likes to work with what they have on their own shores, and I somehow doubt FMA would be worth putting that much money into a toku movie, not when Hollywood and companies in America do that kind of thing regularly. Besides, I can't help but feel that if whites/Americans were in a FMA toku movie, they'd be the ones to be killed off pretty quickly....

...Did Japan really make the G-Saviour movie? I thought that was made in Canada.

Nice post!!
I think it's more that Japanese people care about FMA and, for the most part, Americans do not. Right now the only anime adaptations Hollywood is interested in are ones featuring giant robots, since Transformers made a lot of money.