What if Toei made power rangers would it be super sentai?

I don't have low self esteem.
OK, seeing that most of the posters on this thread don't get it..

So A lot of people complain when people say that super sentai is power rangers.

I say they're complaining too much. Sure it's true that Super Sentai and Power Rangers are 2 completely different shows but Power Rangers is based on Super Sentai and the storylines are almost the same, you've got your 5 coloured superheroes, your mecha robots, etc..

But what if Toei decided to make a new Power rangers series Where they use the same terms from power rangers Morphesr and MEgazords etc. Would it just be super sentai.

Probably.. then again probably not. If Toei are gonna film Power Rangers, and the wester audiance are used to words like "Zord", etc, then they're probably gonna keep the American names.

And to me it's highly unlikely that Toei gonna do an Americanization of their own shows.

Plus Toei is short for "Tokyo Eiga" which in English means "Tokyo Film". I don't really know if a Tokyo film complany is gonna go all the way to America to do an America version of their shows. Then again I remember watching the end credits to Denziman and they had bits filmed in foreign countries such as Hawaii..

But in my conclusion, I don't know.

Let flip the idea too what if Saban I guess started making Super sentai shows? we've had sentai dubbed before but what if Original super sentai was being created.

Saban may dub Super Sentai shows in English but they're highly unlikely to make original Super Sentai series. That would be like an American company filming a Japanese TV show.

There were rumours that Saban were going to to dub Choudenshi Bioman into English but that never happened. There was a parody of Dynaman on the USA Network, and GoRanger, JAKQ and Battle Fever J were subbed in English in Hawaii.

When I was growing up, I viewed both Sentai and Power Rangers as two completely different shows. Even if they shared the same "mask."

The two shows are just handled so differently that it just makes no sense to me to say "Sentai is Power Rangers."

Though what bothers me more is when people describe Sentai as "Japanese Power Rangers." That just sounds so wrong. :redface2:

For me, Sentai is a show starring a team of 3 or 5 heroes in color-coded suits who fight off evil. Each season follows a different story theme (I don't mean motifs. I mean the major lesson that each season focuses on).

Power Rangers is a show that makes use of Sentai's costumes and fighting footage (including the mecha). But this show can do whatever it wants to do (like Lost Galaxy). It's just, Power Rangers has to work around the materials that Sentai has given them. Power Rangers usually focuses on the motifs between good and evil. And Each Power Rangers season has the team undergoing a specific mission that'll last the entire season. Whether it copies some of Sentai's plots, depends on the season and the writers.

But honestly, suppose there was a second show that used Sentai's material? After all, Shaider got turned into VR Troopers and Zaido outside of Japan.

But anyway. If for some really weird reason and chain of events caused Toei to make a Power Rangers season, and Saban made a Sentai season... I'd say the two shows still have their own individual identities. Just as much as how Kamen Rider, Ultraman, and Metal Heroes are their own franchises.

I don't have low self esteem.
When I was growing up, I viewed both Sentai and Power Rangers as two completely different shows. Even if they shared the same "mask."

The two shows are just handled so differently that it just makes no sense to me to say "Sentai is Power Rangers."

Though what bothers me more is when people describe Sentai as "Japanese Power Rangers." That just sounds so wrong. :redface2:

For me, Sentai is a show starring a team of 3 or 5 heroes in color-coded suits who fight off evil. Each season follows a different story theme (I don't mean motifs. I mean the major lesson that each season focuses on).

Power Rangers is a show that makes use of Sentai's costumes and fighting footage (including the mecha). But this show can do whatever it wants to do (like Lost Galaxy). It's just, Power Rangers has to work around the materials that Sentai has given them. Power Rangers usually focuses on the motifs between good and evil. And Each Power Rangers season has the team undergoing a specific mission that'll last the entire season. Whether it copies some of Sentai's plots, depends on the season and the writers.

But honestly, suppose there was a second show that used Sentai's material? After all, Shaider got turned into VR Troopers and Zaido outside of Japan.

But anyway. If for some really weird reason and chain of events caused Toei to make a Power Rangers season, and Saban made a Sentai season... I'd say the two shows still have their own individual identities. Just as much as how Kamen Rider, Ultraman, and Metal Heroes are their own franchises.

I'd say people call Super Sentai "Japanese Power Rangers" because they're not yet or not very familiar with Sentai and probably have at least heard of Power Rangers for a while but either never watch Power Rangers or only watched like a handful of episodes of Power Rangers and later lost interest.

I'd say people call Super Sentai "Japanese Power Rangers" because they're not yet or not very familiar with Sentai and probably have at least heard of Power Rangers for a while but either never watch Power Rangers or only watched like a handful of episodes of Power Rangers and later lost interest.

Well most of the US fans are still unaware that Power Rangers came from Japan. Which is understandable.

D

Dr Kain

Uh, Toei already made a Power Rangers series, they did it back in 93 when they created footage just for Saban.

Nice post!!
Even then they were creating footage to Saban's specifications, IIRC. I think the OP's question is more along the lines of "If Toei was in charge of Power Rangers production, would it be more like Super Sentai?"

Which, judging from the Pretty Cure dub... no, I don't think it would. I think Toei would stick closer to whatever it felt a particular series was really about, though, so I doubt you'd ever get a season like RPM or Turbo.

Toku Webcomic Artist
Here's a similar question which is along the lines of what I think the OP was trying to say:

What if Saban started making a completely original Power Rangers Series? Original costumes, fight footage, mecha, etc. The story would be different, they wouldn't have to worry about how the next series fits into continuity (i.e. In Space/Turbo), and the complaints about PR just stealing from Sentai would have less to back them up. Would this be a good idea for Saban in the future, or should they stick to using the fight footage from Sentai shows?

*Reads the entire 20-post worth page*
head-exploding.jpg