/B$ of the Tokusatsu. fanpage.
The actor who played shin went on to become Ultraman Hikari in Ultraman Mebius when it aired.

Leave All Behind
I have the movie for quite some time now and still failed to watch the movie. It was incredibly boring and I couldn't even get pass the first 10 minutes

I first saw the henshin sequence before the movie and didn't like it much but i'm okay now with it, It was quite interesting and different, ultimately ok

That movie was so incredibly boring. No offended to anyone who liked the movie. It's not my favorite all the time.

The only one good thing that he appeared in Decade Movie.

I find so ironic how the movie that supposedly was the closest to Ishinomori's original idea for KR can bore people. What exactly are you looking for?

Very tasteful avatar, by the way.

The actor who played shin went on to become Ultraman Hikari in Ultraman Mebius when it aired.

Did he also appear in Gaia? I saw a clip with someone who looked awfully like him.

To me, Shin is like Ultraman The Next: They both brought the designs and stories of their franchises to a more adult-themed level. Other movies and shows like THE FIRST and Seven-X, have either been remakes or throwbacks to older shows, aimed at the older fans who saw them when they were younger.

Shin and Ultra Next tried to stand on their own feet and focused more on story than the fan service.
I really think that Shin could have been a successful product of its own, if it had discarded the "Kamen Rider" title.
The potential audience most likely stayed away from it, because they thought "Kamen Rider... kiddie show", and the Kamen Rider fans got pissed because it didn't have any of the elements that the kid-show had, expecting to see lots of action, bikes, rubber monsters, explosions etc.

So yeah... Shin was doomed from the beginning.
Personally I liked the movie a lot. I didn't care for the lack of action. The "tragic hero" story was done well, and it focused perfectly on the downside of being a Rider, which was often mentioned in the old shows.

A Shin series would have been welcome here.

Would like to change his avatar
Did he also appear in Gaia? I saw a clip with someone who looked awfully like him.

He is in Gaia, as just some recurring supporting pilot role. He's always just kinda in the background, which I thought was weird.

EDIT: A fuzzy shot I lazily grabbed off of YouTube:

shiningaia.png

Last edited:
Would like to change his avatar
Anyway, I'm a big fan of Shin Kamen Rider. It has its flaws, but I think it was an ambitious move on Toei's part. A serious, less fanciful attempt at Kamen Rider. It amplified the horror atmosphere the franchise began with, and was a serious attempt to 100% target the adult fans, with a Cronenbergian and Verhoevenian vibe. It was pretty controversial, but I think it was ahead of its time. I certainly prefer it to The First or The Next.

Being a big Nightmare on Elm Street fan, the movie also reminds me a bit of the second Freddy Krueger movie. In that, the main character committed murders while sleepwalking due to a spiritual link to Freddy. In Shin, Shin believes he's committing murders while sleepwalking, when in actuality he's witnessing the crimes through a psychic link to the murderer, who is a genetically altered monster like he is.

It would have been pretty interesting to see where they would have gone with Shin in further installments, whether it be another movie or a TV show. :disappoin