Superman is THE icon of comics and comicdom.... doing that was like putting a jetpack on Jesus in a Catholic Church.
Sorry but I have to call bullshit on that, because if we applied to when he first came about he would have a radically different set of powers and a rather different emblem. Just getting to a point and saying this is the best let's just stop there does a giant disservice to both character and creators. While yes changes to a character should be well reasoned and make sense, automatically dismissing changes to iconic characters means that they are no longer allowed to evolve which is how the became iconic in the first place. For all we know the next guy's take could revolutionize the character eclipsing the previous incarnation, is it not fair to give them that chance. But more than that it comes down what makes these characters important and iconic, is it just the powers or the actual heart of the character?

Lurker
lets have Spider-Man shoot heat rays out of his eyes and be able to fly faster than a speeding bullet

He DID, it was during "Acts of Vengeance" when he aqquired the powers of Captain Universe

Now Demonic
Superman is THE icon of comics and comicdom.... doing that was like putting a jetpack on Jesus in a Catholic Church.

normal_muscle_jesus.jpg

Have faith, my son.

thumb_jet-pack.jpg

FOR I HAVE RETURNED TO SAVE YOUR SOULS! BEHOLD MY GLORY!

S

scikaiju

True but that was the nature of the Captain Universe powers, there's no set host it travels to person to person as the needs arise. In this case Spidey was up against something he couldn't handle by himself, I believe it was a Tri-Sentinal somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, and the powers fused with him. Spidey went back to normal as soon as the threat was over.

In this case, despite having four monthly titles, Superman wasn't exactly bringing in any new readers. One of the biggest complaints I remember reading at the time was from the writers was that despite being powered down after Crisis there was hardly anyone in his rogues gallery that Superman could believably throw down with. And a big one from the readers were the stories were just plain dull. So instead of trying to craft better stories or creating villains that could match up with him they decided to go with a stunt to pull in new readers, much like the death of Superman. It might have worked initially but I think they were surprised by the eventual backlash at throwing out what superman was to the general public and not just the hardcaore readers.

Personally I wasn't a fan of this particular idea, mainly because it felt like a cheep stunt. If they wanted to update his look there might have been an initial outcry from the old school diehards but it probably would have been fine by most people in general. But slap on on a new power set with to particular rhyme or reason, people wisely called BS on it.

Sometimes things get complicated.
Superman Blue and Red were like if they had made the Flash a hero who flew around in a kickass Jet plane.

It's a Smurf that shoots lightning bolts. Not Superman. If DC thinks that's the way to go they should've published The Adventures of Shockey Smurf no.1.

All of you need to lose your privileges at making analogies! Honestly, just no. . . :nono: That title is a complete fail of imagination, Superman, and titles in general!

And as for it being a stunt. Of course it was! But sometimes readers get tired of the same old crap being recycled. People are too complacent and like to latch on to things and not change them. But just because they changed them, didn't mean they were being cheap. It was an extremely cool design and concept IMO. :coolshades:

Sorry but I have to call bullshit on that, because if we applied to when he first came about he would have a radically different set of powers and a rather different emblem. Just getting to a point and saying this is the best let's just stop there does a giant disservice to both character and creators. While yes changes to a character should be well reasoned and make sense, automatically dismissing changes to iconic characters means that they are no longer allowed to evolve which is how the became iconic in the first place. For all we know the next guy's take could revolutionize the character eclipsing the previous incarnation, is it not fair to give them that chance. But more than that it comes down what makes these characters important and iconic, is it just the powers or the actual heart of the character?

NEIN! I'm not saying he can't change and evolve for the times, but there are basics that nobody wants fucked with on someone as iconic as Superman. He's not just some character... he's Superman. He's a symbol. And for superherodom he's THE symbol. You can change him up some, but Lightning Blue Superman was a terrible design in the first place. It looked freaking ugly and horribly generic. He actually looked like a rip off of some IMAGE characters in the 90's. And Superman of all superheroes shouldn't be ripping off other comics.

The costume was also atrocious. Superman's red and blue have always been and give off a feeling of hero. Superman's very human look also is a part of his core inspiration. You look at him doing feats of incredible this or that and it inspires you to want to be better than you are. Seeing crazy ugly lightning man doesn't inspire anything... it's just beholding something bizarre and alien.

Superman can grow and change, but there are core things you just don't **** with. Not with Superman.

NEIN! I'm not saying he can't change and evolve for the times, but there are basics that nobody wants fucked with on someone as iconic as Superman. He's not just some character... he's Superman. He's a symbol. And for superherodom he's THE symbol. You can change him up some, but Lightning Blue Superman was a terrible design in the first place. It looked freaking ugly and horribly generic. He actually looked like a rip off of some IMAGE characters in the 90's. And Superman of all superheroes shouldn't be ripping off other comics.

The costume was also atrocious. Superman's red and blue have always been and give off a feeling of hero. Superman's very human look also is a part of his core inspiration. You look at him doing feats of incredible this or that and it inspires you to want to be better than you are. Seeing crazy ugly lightning man doesn't inspire anything... it's just beholding something bizarre and alien.

Superman can grow and change, but there are core things you just don't **** with. Not with Superman.

Now while I do like this design I will admit the design was in the need for some tweaking, smooth out the jagged lines for one and maybe add some silver. It may just be that my first exposure to Superman were re-runs of the Adventures of Superman but honestly I don't feel the red and blue is needed. For me Superman is about the character, how he relates to the American story, and his presence. Now while I concede that there are versions and interpretations of characters that transcend others to take prominence in the collective conscience, I am against raising any one of those as iconic in place of the character as a whole. In my view it idealizes specific times in both the comics and America which limits our understanding of them by virtue of elevating them about the rest.

Also even though the suit as it now is great in time there is a good chance it will be seen as dated hold-out from past generations. And for better or worse this could effect the importance that Superman has rightfully earned. The single greatest feat Superman has performed is being a companion piece for the greater American story and sooner or later he is going to be forced to change with it or be left forgotten. This right here is why I am against iconic interpretations of Superheroes, they are a reflection of our society and can be wonderful tool for seeing how we have progressed. But if we force a character to stop midstream they run a serious risk of becoming an irrelevant anachronism and I doubt anyone wants Superman to become that.

Super Moderator

:thumbs:

has left HJU. Not coming back.
I loved the concept for Superman, the big change and I loved the fact that there were two electric Supermen (Blue and Red).

I understand that people who hated the concept for Superman. It's all their opinion and I respect that.

Gotta love this picture:
[hide]
mbaileybluered.jpg
[/hide]

Also, my friend and I got into an argument who is the real Superman and I told him it's Superman Blue. He was the real one. The red one was fake. He disagreed with me and told me that the Red one was real.

Hmph! Humbag! IDHFKHDfhjsdkajf!