Would like to change his avatar
Didn't Seki also voice Blaird as well as Sanbash? They all sound and act alike.

I'm not certain about Blaird, but Seki didn't voice Sanbash -- Nobuyuki Hiyama did. (Sanbash is what made me first take notice of Hiyama, he was great in Ginga.)

Kamen Rider Meta
Funny thing is many make this argument with Gundam too. It's actually quite a similar situation with many believing that Sunrise focuses on the toy sales than the story (like that one character in SEED switching sides because his Gundam wasn't selling well enough). I can kinda see where many are coming from because the past of Gundam was a simpler time too. You didn't always need Beam Spam (seriously, screw you Strike Freedom) to win battles and the concept of a single universe was more than a source of continuity, it was like a whole new world, just in an anime. That's why Unicorn is so well praised because it basically went back to that time.

You could even make a case for the music with Kamen Rider/Gundam similarities too. In the past, you had "Tobe Gundam," "Zeta - Toki wo Koete" and "Stand up to the Victory."

Now, you have naked people with smooth Jazz CD 101.9...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkKmV5aLf1A[/ame]
(^^TASTE THE BEAM SPAM RAINBOW!)

Of course, it can be awesome too.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC7-B9VRdXs[/ame]
^^(UVERworld!)

What I'm trying to trying to say is, I think a change in era will lead to unfairness in anything. Tokusatsu, Gundam, etc. But even as we look at the facts, what it really comes down to is how we feel about the shows themselves and not be affected by others opinions to influence our thoughts and at the same time respect theirs. Though if anyone says SEED Destiny is the best season ever, I will so call you out on it.

(Next week, we'll discuss the strange similarity regarding Black/RX and Zeta/ZZ!)

First of all, if CGI had been around during the 70's and 80's, Toei wouldn't have hesitated using it less back then than they do today.
Secondly, television has to follow the cultural and social changes in society if money has to be made. What appealed to people in the 70's might not appeal to people in 2010. The kawaii-culture is going strong in Japan these years, and it is clearly evident that it is affecting the media, and in a few years it might be something else. That's how it is. Time changes, and so does people. Some of us older fans have to accept that.

As for the foreign toku-fanbase, we have to keep in mind that many of the Showa shows have not been subbed, Many people base their opinions on un-translated episodes, where the only thing they can really comment on is the action and effects, which ARE very outdated for today’s standards.

For example, if we take any of the Showa Riders series. Some of the most interesting things in these shows were the villains, their stories and the rivalry they sometimes had with each other, which made up for some very interesting scenes. These scenes are completely lost to a viewer who can't understand what they are saying.

People have a much easier time enjoying raw episodes of Heisei shows, simply because there is a lot more action and flashy effects to entertain them, and there is a 90% chance they these shows will get subbed. So of course, it is a lot easier to get interested in the Heisei shows. It is not because these people HATE the Showa shows. It is simply because, as some has already said, that they can’t get into them, mostly due to lack of translations

That's what sites like Wiki (which usually does tend to be accurate as far as toku goes) and fansites like Shougo's Changeman site and Basri's Black/RX site are for. I followed the Wiki page on Spielban and that let me more or less understand what was going on in that show. Of course you won't know 100%. But you will get the gist of it. If people are going to be so hung up on subs, they're going to miss out on a lot of the good shows of this genre.

Heroes are forever
Which ticks me off a lot, it feels as if people hate the Showa series because few fansubbing groups bother to give them a try.
The only KR fansubbed from that era is Amazon! (V3, Black & Black RX are official subs, but they're still a minority)
Not to offend, but I've always been under the impression a lot of subbers loathe these shows.
And no, don't tell me they don't have the time, if they have the time to sub a series from the Heisei era, they sure have time to sub a Showa era show.
The shows are currently airing? I'm not asking for TV-Nihon or Order of Zeronos to do it... or wait, those are pretty much the only active fansubbing groups that could do it.
But still, if someone can sub a side-project like the first series of Yu-Gi-Oh!, why can't they dedicate some time to the very first Riders?

Super Kamen Sentai Rider
While I agree with what you said, and I would hate to sound mean, but I think we need to go over everything wrong with your statement :laugh:

The only KR fansubbed from that era is Amazon! (V3, Black & Black RX are official subs, but they're still a minority)

Black and Black RX do not have official subs, they do have HK's (bootlegs) though, there is a man who is subbing it, and he's fairly active, while he hasn't been around for a few months, he's up to episode 43 and does them when he has time (since he himself is the Translator). Look up "Century Kings" for his subs, he also did Kamen Rider J

I'm not asking for TV-Nihon or Order of Zeronos to do it... or wait, those are pretty much the only active fansubbing groups that could do it.

This is not true, HnT has also been making many releases as of late, and so has skewedstudios. Also, GSF! has been very active in releasing Gaoranger. Just because a group is doing a weekly show, doesn't necessarily mean they're active in my opinion. Because in the end they're going to have to end up focusing all their staff for the weekly shows. Now, TV-Nihon DOES have a lot of staff, mind you. But it still takes it's toll on a group to be doing 3-4 releases a week

But still, if someone can sub a side-project like the first series of Yu-Gi-Oh!, why can't they dedicate some time to the very first Riders?

Now, while I agree with you there to an extent, unfortunately, it comes down to "personal preference" :/ I enjoy pretty much every Toku and want to bring them to the fans, which is why I started my group :thumbs: So if you want to bring the original Kamen Rider to the fans when no one else will, I suggest you try and do the same :buttrock:

Overall, I agree with what you had to say, but I think you needed to know whatever I pointed out :p

Heroes are forever
Black and Black RX do not have official subs, they do have HK's (bootlegs) though, there is a man who is subbing it, and he's fairly active, while he hasn't been around for a few months, he's up to episode 43 and does them when he has time (since he himself is the Translator). Look up "Century Kings" for his subs, he also did Kamen Rider J
Really? I remember seeing good quality subs of Black & RX, there was this site, which looked pretty official to me... if only I remembered the name/url.

This is not true, HnT has also been making many releases as of late, and so has skewedstudios. Also, GSF! has been very active in releasing Gaoranger. Just because a group is doing a weekly show, doesn't necessarily mean they're active in my opinion. Because in the end they're going to have to end up focusing all their staff for the weekly shows. Now, TV-Nihon DOES have a lot of staff, mind you. But it still takes it's toll on a group to be doing 3-4 releases a week
Nah, of course it's not true, for me there are like 10 or 11 fansubbing groups active enough, it just seems that OZ and TVN draw all the attention.
They have a lot of staff, and the stupid move here is having about 3 people sub the same episode every week. It seems all of them like to sub the same show, which leads me to this:

Now, while I agree with you there to an extent, unfortunately, it comes down to "personal preference" :/ I enjoy pretty much every Toku and want to bring them to the fans, which is why I started my group :thumbs: So if you want to bring the original Kamen Rider to the fans when no one else will, I suggest you try and do the same :buttrock:
Yeah, it's a bit of favoritism here, it feels easier for people to think: ''If I sub the most recent shows, people will praise me more, because if I sub an old one, I won't get much attention''.
Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but there are some fansubbers that care a bit too much about ''fame'' of being the best that can do the current shows out there, etc. etc.
And dude, if it was for me, I'd be subbing all of the golden era Riders... if I knew japanese, there would already be a thread in the fansubbing forum.
Some day, if there is a series of KR that needs subbing, and I have learned japanese by that point, I'll do my best to work on it. Learning japanese is one of my goals, and after that, it's fansubbing for me.

And yes... I realize I'm too much on the side of Kamen Rider, but if I get my hands on Himitsu Sentai Goranger or any Ultraman that's only available RAW... on with the show.

Brave Sound~
It seems like the impression is that Showa fans are the minority when really they're on equal footing with fans of 2000+. Any people willing to take a chance with the Showa era get the recognition of actually subbing one while people subbing recent shows only seem to receive recognition of who can cough them up the fastest.

Nice post!!
People don't sub old shows because nobody downloads them. Every anime group that decides to sub some big-deal lost classic that people say they want to see ends up getting 200 and 300 dls per episode. A group subbing old tokusatsu would run into the same problem.

Ideally, the group doing the subbing doesn't care about dl numbers and just does the subbing for pure love of the show. Realistically, a lot of fansubbers get depressed if they see that only small numbers of people are downloading their work, and they end up losing enthusiasm for the project.

It is very unfortunate that tokusatsu got its act together long after a lot of the best henshin hero shows were made, but it happens. There's a lot of stupendous 70s ad 80s anime that pretty much no one has seen for much the same reasons.

Eye See You
That's what sites like Wiki (which usually does tend to be accurate as far as toku goes) and fansites like Shougo's Changeman site and Basri's Black/RX site are for. I followed the Wiki page on Spielban and that let me more or less understand what was going on in that show. Of course you won't know 100%. But you will get the gist of it. If people are going to be so hung up on subs, they're going to miss out on a lot of the good shows of this genre.

Toku Brasil is a great place to have every single question answered.