HJU Radio: Girls In Trouble - SUBMIT TOPICS AND QUESTIONS

Rajio Showa Rider
Once again Shuki goes unnoticed :(

Perhaps I should restate my suggestion. Discuss what you guys would like to see in a female rider (besides staying alive and active)

Keep watching Tokyo Dogs, Keith. Its pretty awesome.

Samurai High School is a bit more on the humor side, or I guess silly. About a senior in high school who gets possessed by his ancestor who used to be a samurai. Its pretty interesting.

The only question I can think of is what were your favorite movies from the past year, both Hollywood and japanese, if you've seen any. Also, favorite show?

I would have liked Samurai High School a lot more had it been Ikkitousen's premise minus all the fanservice. Just a bunch of reincarnations of important historical figures going to school and backhanding each other around.

It's the Japanese term.

Huh. Who knew? Well, you, clearly. :D But I always wondered whether/what American comics made it to Japan, and what they thought of them. I know American anime fans tend to see them as poison, but I'm thinking the Japanese may view it all from another perspective.

Not-So-Rabid Blade Fangirl
I could talk about this all day, for my part. I dunno if FQ and Blade Dancer are as into OPs and anisong crap as I am, though-- like, I go out of my way just to watch OPs for things. I've seen most of the KR and Super Sentai OPs and have my favorites and not-favorites.

I'm not as into OPs and such, but if given time to pay a little bit better attention, I could give an opinion...

Personally I'd find it interesting to discuss cool female characters from live-action stuffs that weren't main heroes, but were pretty darn cool anyway.

Like, Kouga's girlfriend in GARO is a better character than virtually all of the Heisei female Riders to date. W's female villains are friggin' awesome, too.

Kaoru from GARO is awesome. She's a little like a damsel in distress, but has an inner strength that makes her incredibly interesting to watch. :thumbs: I could talk about that subject for quite a while.

What you'd get on this topic from me is speculation about a live-action Pretty Cure. I dig pretty hard on Pretty Cure but I dunno about BD and FQ.

I've never seen any Magical Girl shows at all, so I'd sit back and insert pithy comments more than anything else. :loltongue: But I'd be interested to hear what Lynx and FQ think about them.

As for upcoming tokusatsu with prominent female leads, I think it'd be interesting to discuss Daimajin Kanon, but I don't know if that show is on BD and FQ's radar at all. Could we discuss older toku with female leads, like Shibuya 15? I know FQ is quite the Mark Musashi expert....

I've never even heard of that show... :O_O: But I've seen Sh15uya, and could probably talk about that. I still don't know why they felt they needed to have a girl play the main male lead in that show, though. :sly:

How about these?

- Compariosn of Showa and Heisei Riders. Which you believe are better.
- The ups and downs of the Heisei Riders.
- J-Dramas like Bloody Monday, MR.BRAIN, Samurai High School, Tokyo DOGS, etc...
- Old school tokusatsu like Gridman, Red Baron and Lion Maru.
- Your favorite Super Heroes and Heroines / Villains from American Comics
- Last but not least, your favorite and worst Japanese Actor/actress.

Anyone of those or just part of one would be nice if it's possible.

I haven't seen any of the Showa series except for a bit of Black, so I wouldn't be able to contribute a thing to that conversation...
I could talk about Jdramas if you liked. I've seen quite a few, at this point, though not nearly as many as some people on here.
I haven't seen any of those old school tokus as of yet, though they're on my list to get to if I can find subs. :thumbs:

Samurai High School.... is this as awesome as it sounds?

Depends on how your sense of the ridiculous is, I suppose. It made me cringe a bit, but some parts of it were absolutely hilarious. And Haruma Miura (the same guy who plays Falcon in Bloody Monday) does a really good job portraying two characters who are completely polar to each other.

Once again Shuki goes unnoticed :(

Perhaps I should restate my suggestion. Discuss what you guys would like to see in a female rider (besides staying alive and active)

Honestly, Shuki didn't make a huge impression on me. It's been a while since I watched Hibiki, but I guess she was an amazing Oni who was forced to retire for ethical reasons? Well, until she died, of course. Since that always happens.

I'd settle for a female Rider who lasted for more than a couple episodes, at this point... :redface2:

Nice post!!
But I always wondered whether/what American comics made it to Japan, and what they thought of them.

There's definitely a Japanese following for American comics. Japanese editions of American comics tend to be sold in bookstores and anime/manga joints, alongside all the anime and video games and crap.

Japanese fans tend to like indy stuff like Hellboy and Bone as much or more as the superheroes, but I've seen Japanese editions of Marvel and DC stuff. I should note that Japan gets a fraction of what is published over here due to printing costs.

American comics published in color over here are published in color over there, usually in collections of two or three issues at once.One really cool collection I saw when I was at Mandarake last year was issues of John Byrne's Superman: Man of Steel mini-series and Frank Miller's Batman: Year One mini-series.

Is Black really considered a Showa series?

I always called it a Showesei...

Nice post!!
Showa and Heisei are pretty strict time periods. So Black is the last Showa series since it started in '88 and Black RX is the first Heisei since the Heisei period begins in '89.

This is sort of the problem of fans trying to co-opt these terms into describing "eras" of Rider. When most people say "Heisei Rider", they really mean the TV revival that started with Kuuga-- but technically the movies are all Hiesei Rider shows, too!

By the way, Lynx, I love American comics. I'm pretty far behind on most of the stuff I like to read, though, since my friend I steal them from was unemployed for a goodly portion of last year... :loltongue:

Lurker
I haven't seen any of those old school tokus as of yet, though they're on my list to get to if I can find subs. :thumbs:

Well, for Red Baron you can find at almost any store that sells DVD's such as Best Buy or Target. I should know as I got my copy of the complete series at Best Buy last year. Cost me a nice pretty penny but it's a good watch. Or you can find it at Amazon. They sell it in subbed format now.

Lion Maru....not sure.

Gridman, you can possibly find it subbed over at Veoh. That's where I get Black RX at.

P.S.~ Another thing I'd like to hear is maybe your personal comparisons of villains and heroes/heroines from tokusatsu to those of American comics.

I can sorta compare Saeko and Wakana from KR W to the Tamaranean sisters BlackFire and StarFire from the DC comics 'The New Teen Titans'.

Hmm, I wonder if Veoh still has those... It's going down soon, and I've heard a lot of the toku on there has disappeared.