The Forgotten "AmeriToku" Series- Zixx: Level (1/2/3)

Does a show still qualify as toku (as in "Live Action Henshin Hero series") if all the "suited" scenes are in CGI?

If so, then there has been one Ameri-toku (or more properly Western Tokusatsu) series that has been overlooked by HJU, the Canadian series "Zixx: Level (insert season number)", or "Zixx: Level One/Level Two/Level Three."

The series plot is essentially as follows:
Long ago, Onccalon (think Dark Specter but with a "Sith Cargo Cult") ravaged the universe with his Hargokk Empire. A highly advanced race, known as the Gaanth, rose to oppose him and slayed him with the "Sword of Gaanth," the most powerful weapon they ever made. Following Onccalon's defeat the Gaanth placed the Sword in "The Keep", a fortress designed to train their officers and warriors residing in a trans-dimensional antimatter field (which to humans, resembles a cyber dimensional video game due to it's mechanics and trials). The Gaanth, created the "Intergalactic Network" to protect the remains of the universe before ascending into beings of pure energy, leaving all their secrets and weapons shrouded in mystery.

Thousands of years later, Onccalon, as it turns out, was only fragmented and has been regenerating, creating new waves of armies to conquer in his wake, with his main goal being to find the Sword and destroy it/use it to conquer all life in the universe.

Zixx is an Intergalactic Network agent who has crash landed onto Earth with her reptilian mentor and partner, Flanngo. As luck would have it, Earth also happens to be a hotbed of activity for the Hargokk Empire as portals to the Keep (which randomly ebb and flow throughout the cosmos) are currently centralized on the planet. Zixx reluctantly teams up of with a group of humans (most of whom are quite good at video games) to help her in beating Onccalon and his disciples to the Sword. Cut off from the Network, they must ascend the levels of the Keep and defeat it's trials, if the universe has any chance of survival.

So it's essentially Live Action outside, CGI in the Keep (all entrants to the Keep have specialized full-body armor and weapons) and has plenty of mysteries, fight scenes, and transformation sequences throughout. Sort of a mix of Captain Power and Reboot (more so because the last two seasons were animated by Mainframe Entertainment). It also kind of reminds of Kamen Rider Dragon Knight in a lot of ways.

Sadly, despite airing only a few years ago, no one seems to remember it, nor can I find any proper video clips of it on the web either.

All I can find are:
-The fairly spartan, Official sites for Levels One, Two and Three
-The wikipedia page, obviously
-An audio copy of the Level Three Opening sequence
[HIDE][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os3l9E3FeRI"]Level Three[/ame][/HIDE]
-A Spanish dubbed collection of clips from Level One
[HIDE][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbyXJ7HccFA"]Level One[/ame]
[/HIDE]
-And a test animation from one of the art designers
[HIDE][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hdkTz8-ORQ"]Matrix Fight[/ame][/HIDE]
Anyone else remember this show, or am I the only one?

Otherwise, any thoughts? Can it be called "Toku"?

Last edited:
I saw one episode of it, when Cartoon Network aired it, and it was utter crap.

Can you try to elaborate beyond just saying "this show sucked"?

I always found it strange that the show didn't do too well on Cartoon Network (beyond the whole "Live Action does not belong on Cartoon Network!...Despite having CGI in over 60% of the show" bandwagon) when it did quite well on YTV and elsewhere.

That, and I thought, for the budget it was given, it was quite enjoyable, and perhaps even better than some Power Rangers seasons in a few respects.

Last edited:
Lurker

ONE episode and you define an entire series based on that? A little stupid.

It wasnt bad. From the episodes I saw, it predated Code: Lyoko with a blend of Aaron Stone and Animorphs.

Can you try to elaborate beyond just saying "this show sucked"?

I always found it strange that the show didn't do too well on Cartoon Network (beyond the whole "Live Action does not belong on Cartoon Network!...Despite having CGI in over 60% of the show" bandwagon) when it did quite well on YTV and elsewhere.

That, and I thought, for the budget it was given, it was quite enjoyable, and perhaps even better than some Power Rangers seasons in a few respects.

ONE episode and you define an entire series based on that? A little stupid.

It wasnt bad. From the episodes I saw, it predated Code: Lyoko with a blend of Aaron Stone and Animorphs.

The CGI looked amateurish, because they had the bright idea to make it look like a video game. Machinema is one thing, but this was just horrendous. It used low quality textures, so everything looked extremely fuzzy when there was a close up. Characters moved like they were in a FPS game.

How's that?

Matrix of Leadership

Agreed. I saw it when it was on CN, and just hated it.

I didn't like the CGI Suits, I did not like the whole idea. THe script and the writing sucked, as well as the acting. Horrible.

now Nerd Emperor
I saw it on YTV in Canada a while back... terrible show... was quite cringe-worthy. =_=

Now, count up your crimes!
When I first saw this, I almost thought it was just like Code Lyoko. With the whole virtual world thing.

And I never liked Code Lyoko. Along with other shows on Miguzi. Frickin' program that replaced Toonami. Glad that it's dead. Of course, so is Toonami. :shakefist