Avatar made and estimated $75,000,000 over the weekend, bring its two week total to about $212,268,000. Anyone still want to doubt that this movie is not going over 300m? :anime:

boogie woogie feng shui
That's because tickets are like fucking $15.

This movie was truly an exercise in hollow, gaudy excess.

Sometimes things get complicated.
That's extremely good for a second week figure. That drop in weekend draw was extremely low. I'm very impressed. It might actually peak over 350. I'm still not sure about 400, though.

I really did like the visuals on this movie, but the plot just blew. The intent was certainly noble, but I've yet to see a movie like this or Dances with Wolves or whatever that actually tells me something I didn't already know and does it without saying the groovy one-with-nature people have never been sons of bitches to anyone.

When I found out they actually did name the magic metal the evil capitalist army wanted "unobtanium" I actually said out loud "There won't be a drop of subtlety in this movie, will there?"

I love how people act like there needed to be more to the plot! It was what it needed to be. The film was over two and a half hours, so it didn't need more development. The plot may've seemed preachy, but who cares? Was racism and the events that occured during the time of Dances with Wolves subtle at all? No, neither should this have been. It's a Dance with Wolves for the future.

And for the record, this story wasn't stolen from Dances with Wolves! Just because that films did it before, doesn't mean it isn't a universal concept. It's too broad an idea to be taken as derivative of another film. :shakefist

boogie woogie feng shui
Sheer length does not equal "development." There was certainly no lack of character exposure in Avatar (seeing as how it was about fifty hours too long), but there was next to no real development; like everybody sane enough not to be kissing James Cameron's feet over this dud has been saying, the movie basically lacked *everything* except the visuals, which were impressive, I'll give them that, but not enough to carry the movie themselves. I find it funny that people have been telling me "see it in 3-D, that's the only way to see this movie" or "it's not nearly as good in 2-D." If a movie has to rely on a gimmick to impress people, then it's not very good as a movie, is it?

So now the Golden Globes determines their Best Picture category on gimmicks, huh? I guess it lacked everything, except for what it takes to get nominated for the most pretigious category, in what is considered the most highly regarded awards show, next to the Oscars. You're right, that makes total sense to me now :sly:

Apparently you know better than the entire Hollywood Foreign Press Association and the hundreds of critics that lent to it's 83% approval rating it has on Rotten Tomatoes :laugh: Which, by the way, you don't. But then again, we are talking about the person who called YUEN WOO-PING'S choreography in Once Upon a Time in China II boring and derivative. So obviously good taste is something you lack. . .

Last edited: