Not-So-Rabid Blade Fangirl
COMING THIS SEASON:

GLADIATOR IN TIGHTS.

Carry Elwes ftw.

I love Carey Elwes. :198:

the trailer really doesnt do anything for me. I mean, it doesnt feel like robin hood. There's nothing in that trailer that distinguishes itself as Robin Hood vs any other ol action-medieval-swords'n'slash flick. You could call it "Call of the Archer: Arrow's Virtue" and you wouldn't even have known it was based off robin hood (from the trailer alone)

It's just kind of silly.

Yeah... I gotta agree with you. It doesn't look bad per se, just not like Robin Hood. And for an origin story? Don't you think they should have gotten someone a bit, you know, younger?

Now this song is stuck in my head

Mine too. :laugh:

Lurker
It doesn't look bad per se, just not like Robin Hood.

What part about Robin Hood being a MYTHOLOGY does...ANYONE get?

It doesnt have a set grounding, it can look completly reallistic and STILL be considered Robin Hood if it follows that myth

If little John kicks his ass when they first meet, it's Robin Hood, if he fights The Sherif, it's Robin Hood, if he has sex with Marian, it's Robon Hood.

And for an origin story? Don't you think they should have gotten someone a bit, you know, younger?

This is probably the most reallistic age a lord of Locksley returning to his homeland from the crusades OUGHT to be...a man trying to escape war, only to be plunged back into it. Think of the paralels to now and it works.

Super Moderator
For me the one to beat is still Michael Praed in the 80's Robin Of Sherwood series.

Not-So-Rabid Blade Fangirl
I've never seen that one. Though I must say that I've enjoyed every version of Robin Hood I've ever seen in one way or another. Some more than others, obviously, but as a whole, it's been pretty lucky to not have a movie that's been complete drek.

And the Disney animated one is pure gold.

Super Moderator
I've never seen that one. Though I must say that I've enjoyed every version of Robin Hood I've ever seen in one way or another. Some more than others, obviously, but as a whole, it's been pretty lucky to not have a movie that's been complete drek.

And the Disney animated one is pure gold.

It's out on DVD and you can see plenty of clips on YouTube. Robin of Sherwood took a unique angle in that it combined elementis of celtic mysticism while also having a more realistic take on the time period than what had been seen up to that point. The whole look and vibe of the series is cool and it's also got some really good performances. Also a great soundtrack by Clannad who I'm not usually a fan of but their music for this show really fit. The opening theme continues to be a favorite of mine.

It also features a character called Nassir who is basically a pre-cursor to Morgan Freemans character in the Costner movie though I dig Nassir much more.

Last edited:
Banned
the best robin hood to date....:laugh:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lrs-aPUQZc[/ame]

Throwing Some Justice!
The Robin Hood stories were really very violent!
WEAK. Stick with Flynn's Robin Hood, trust me.

Well, I agree the trailer is nothing to be impress about & the music is damn annoying. But it does look pretty violent judging from it & it is Ridley Scott doing this after all (He always loves violence). Atleast he got that right though, right?

Though, I going to remain optimistic about it. It's just a teaser & I'm hoping the theatrical trailer is alot better. I still trust Ridley Scott on this.

Last edited:
Super Moderator
Always an excuse to use this.

I hated that Praed was leaving but the show dealt with it in a way that was really clever dramatically. Jason Connery was ok but it just wasn't the same after that. Still given the circumstances the way Praed is written out and Connery is written in was a high point.

boogie woogie feng shui
Well, I agree the trailer is nothing to be impress about & the music is damn annoying. But it does look pretty violent judging from it & it is Ridley Scott doing this after all (He always loves violence). Atleast he got that right though, right?

Though, I going to remain optimistic about it. It's just a teaser & I'm hoping the theatrical trailer is alot better. I still trust Ridley Scott on this.

Well, I don't just mean violence for the sake of violence, although there was quite a bit of that in the Robin Hood tales, too. It was mainly that the stories could be very violent while still maintaining that lightheartedness that gives the characters their identifiable qualities. I trust Ridley Scott (maybe), but this looks too "grimdark" to have really captured what the legend is all about. After all, it is Robin Hood and his Merry Men.

And thanks for the recommendation, mattcomics. I'll give that series a shot!