ONE DAY?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! It took me the whole goddamned summer of ninth grade (2 years ago) to get it downpat! Katakana only took like a week though :p

@Forgotten Henshin, I haven't been to Smart.fm that much since it changed from iknow.co.jp. I would use it a lot more often but this laptop can't read Japanese anymore and I can't find the CD.

Raxbait: Hip
Hirgana and Katakana took me a month. I went really slow since I have manga and just used those until it stuck in my head.

Some kind of Beast mode
I'm studying the rows by twos. Like, a i u e o, and ka ki ku ke ko. i repeat them twice. then just keep writing them on a full page at random.

Then so on. I'm multitasking, more or else. And when I am looking at the Katakana chart, it is so easy. lol I tend to wonder into that, but I stop myself and make sure I got the hiragana down pat.

it took me weeks and months to differentiate the difference between Hiragana and Katakana.
so when I attend classes, I could read w/o the teacher's help.
as for Kanji, because I've learnt Mandarin in my elementary school days, I don't find it hard to write and guessing the meaning of the word.
right now, I'm aiming to learn those difficult Kanji found in songs.

PS: I have no problems having proper conversations with my Japanese teachers now. :D

Some kind of Beast mode
it took me weeks and months to differentiate the difference between Hiragana and Katakana.
so when I attend classes, I could read w/o the teacher's help.
as for Kanji, because I've learnt Mandarin in my elementary school days, I don't find it hard to write and guessing the meaning of the word.
right now, I'm aiming to learn those difficult Kanji found in songs.

PS: I have no problems having proper conversations with my Japanese teachers now. :D

What's the word for envy in Japanese?....

Actually it is "Watashi wa shitto shite imasu" or "Watashi wa sore wo netande imasu".

I highly recommend DS software Kageyama method Kakitori kun(sequel) for learning & memorising hiragana, katakana and kanji.
You can see the stroke order animation to learn how to write. There's a page for each kanji where you can see the pronunciation, meaning and some compound words(need hiragana/katakana knowledge to read though).
After you write you're given a score. If stroke order is not followed, you fail and get 0 points.
There's also a part where you can train in stuff like recognising part of the kanji, 4-chara idioms etc.

Then there's the test section. I have only done the primary 1 test so far. They give you 40 minutes to answer 85 questions divided into about 3 sections, pronunciation of kanji by themselves and in compounds, stroke order, and memorisation. Higher grades are of course tougher.

Best thing is that everything is divided into grades, from primary 1 to middle school then high school.
There's no English used in this software though, need at least rudimentary knowledge.
This review is helpful: http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/review/R132307.html

Last edited:
That sounds cool. :hmm:

Rosetta tone pretty much has most of the major languages, inclusding Japanese. I'm waiting until my Grad part in 2011 because I know that I'll get enough to afford one, but the DS game sounds tight as well .