Tech How often do you get a new phone?

C

CyberGal

I really need to get a new phone. I still have an old flip phone that I can't do any text messaging on. I don't even know how old it is but it's definitely not modern enough for what I need to be able to do. I want to get an Android phone but am trying to save up the money to do so. Unfortunately, I had to buy a new laptop recently or I probably would have had that phone by now.

I'm a "contract" upgrade type. I can't really afford to pay the extra cost associated with a new phone every 6 months. I typically wait the 2 years until I get the "new user" type discount. Granted I won't get the newest phone, but I can typically get a great phone for a good price (I typically don't go over $50).

I change it when my old one dies, or I flush it down the toilet (yep, I did do that). I am in absolute need of a new one now and being a complete cheapskate about it. I don't want anything but calls and texts on it and the ability to play music. I have enough other gadgets that all I need from that phone is to just be a phone.

I replace mine whenever it dies or I switch to a new provider that doesn't allow me to bring my own phone... (Bah, I'm saving more every 3 months than the phone cost me anyways). My first phone lasted me two and a half years, second was two years, and this phone's is a few months old.

I don't really like having to figure out the new device and it's tiny things that are done differently. Like remembering the power button is in a different place.

I want to get an Android phone but am trying to save up the money to do so.
I'd suggest taking a look at the LG Fuels if your provider supports them. They're not the biggest or the absolute best, but you can get them for about $20. Don't let the price fool you, they're actually little beasts. I have a few for various reasons, and they run better than my HTC Droid incredible ($100 phone with similar stats) does. They run about the same as my Galaxy s3 does, just slightly slower, but they're much stronger. I drop those things every other day and there's not a scratch on them.

I only ever get a new phone when the old one is damaged in some way that makes it unusable / far too annoying to use.

I stopped using my iPhone 3GS not after the lock button stopped working (got around that with Activator) but after the jack port completely gave up on me :p

I bought my phone 2 years ago. I do agree that the mobile phone industry is fast and to stay updated with the latest technology, I personally believe that one needs to change his/her phone every 6 months, which might get pretty expensive for some. My phone is fine and running now, but I'd want an upgrade for a device with better specifications and internal storage.

I usually get a new phone if I think my current one will die soon, or if I really just find something that I really like. My phones would usually be with me for at least a year or two though, never less. I currently have gone through most of the Samsung Galaxy series, and so far I'm still pleased.

I only get a new phone when my current model looks like it will give up soon. Phones have everything on them now and the only real technological advances for a few years have been 4G and screen size. Everything else is just downloadable apps really. So I don't feel like I am missing out by not having the latest model immediately.

Not often, I would go for a new phone if I have problem with currently owned one. Four months ago I had a software issues with my phone, which I am yet to flash, in the time being I got another phone, a Lenovo product.

From what I remember, I only had 2 phones. First is a Motorola and second is a Nokia that is not a smart phone yet. Don’t laugh but I still have that Nokia until now and I’m using it for communications. I have a Samsung that is a smart phone which I inherited from my wife and I am using that for internet purposes only. So practically I have 2 phones now.