If there's anything we see a lot here at HJU forums is that we complaining A LOT over some tokusatsu shows. I mean yeah there are some excusable things such as lazy writing, horrid character development, etc. :redface2:

But are we expecting too much over shows that are mainly aimed at children?

Some of us wants it to be always to be dark themed and some of us wants want's it to be fun and funny (but I'm betting most of us are into the dark themed area). And some of us wants it done the old school way.

Are these expectations is what keeping us from enjoying in watching newer gen tokus? We have to realize that kids today have different appeal today unlike back then when it was a bit simpler.

So what do you think?

NOTE: Please don't turn this into a hate thread! We already have enough of those going around inside other threads ok?

Actually, this is not new. The same thing was being said over Godzilla films! Some fans wanted the films to be dark, violent, scary, and God-forbid, R-rated! But the thing is, Toho always wanted Godzilla to be family-friendly, which is one of the greatest things about it that worked. (Even though most of the audience in recent years was children, adult fans, and the nostalgic crowd). Same deal with Ultraman.

I couldn't have it any other way.

But are we expecting too much over shows that are mainly aimed at children?[/B]

Its no different from any other type fandom. And if there's anything they don't like...there's always looking at Deviant Art Galleries and reading fanfic...and if those are bad, they rant about that too. Bizarre isn't it...Believe it...or not.

But the thing is, Toho always wanted Godzilla to be family-friendly, which is one of the greatest things about it that worked.

I just want Godzilla to take a back seat for its co-stars for once...THAT'S NOT MOTHRA!!!:shakefist:sly:

Yeah there's Rodan...still it was just one movie from the 50s...all those monsters from the Godzillaverse and only one monster from the bunch end up getting a spin-off series...and it's the...

"The butterfly that kicks his ass":laugh:

-Hardcore Holly

I take it for what it is.

The only thing that I tend to avoid watching when it comes to tokusatsu are the fight scenes. You can't get any closer to 'fake' fighting when it comes to tokusatsu fight scenes.

Other than that, the only reason why I enjoy watching it is mainly because it's something different from what you normally see on TV over here (Name one kid's show where people get murdered by monsters).

Lurker
All I want is a decent story line with plot(s) that actually go through the show, not just started then left hanging, then a finale that would in someway ties up the ends and complete the STORY. And a few good actors. I dont think thats too much to ask for.

Its like they start it and write it all out but then can't fathom and ending
exactly.

If anybody is thinking of any dark themed toku then why not go with GARO, KAMEN RIDER THE NEXT and KAMEN RIDER DRAGON KNIGHT then?

All I want is a toku show with good writing, well written characters and good development. Overall I'm satisfied with the shows that came out but the my complaint isn't the show but the fans who overhype them like when Kabuto was on, many were going nuts over how it's the greatest Rider show ever or that it's a return to the basics, one of their arguments is because Tendou said Rider Kick while the fact is that both Kuuga and Agito were more Rider than Kabuto.

I don't think I want a dark story as much as I want a real story. I like to feel as if we're really going somewhere and it's not just lazing about in comedy land. Den-O did this very well, because we had light moments and balenced them with real character development and pathos. I think that's what a lot of fans forget. We don't need light hearted OR drama. A great series can do both. An amazing series can run both within the same episode without losing it's audience or creating a jarring note. Kamen Rider Blade and Agito did this VERY well, balancing out the light hearted moments with a very serious story without ever being inaccesible to the viewing audience

I think it's less that our standards are too high, and more that we've lost the ability to know what it is we're asking for and the writers are losing the ability to write a really complex show

All I want is a toku show with good writing, well written characters and good development. Overall I'm satisfied with the shows that came out but the my complaint isn't the show but the fans who overhype them like when Kabuto was on, many were going nuts over how it's the greatest Rider show ever or that it's a return to the basics, one of their arguments is because Tendou said Rider Kick while the fact is that both Kuuga and Agito were more Rider than Kabuto.

:laugh: I've found that Kabuto is way crackier than any other Toku I've seen in recent years, in a lot of ways I love it, but the story made no sense. It had some cool action, and I liked Kagami and Tendou was amusing if a bit tired towards the end, but overall it was just a big ol' jumbled mess. I've been re-watching it the last few weeks too so it's fresh in my mind. There is definitely better series out there then this, but this one was amusing in it's own right.

If it entertains me I like it, you have to accept the level of absurdity that comes with these shows to really enjoy them. I try not to worry too much, unless something just bugs me.