Let's see what happened in the Heisei...

Kaijin can become Riders

Riders using Mecha

Belt had multiple users

Belts activated by cards, phones, etc.

As for everything else...

Riderman henshin first non belt henshin, first rival rider, first Rider with weapons...

Amazon precursor to Gills and the Oni

Stronger and Black RX precursor to Kuuga, Agito, Den-O, and Kiva

Amazon and Black first with ally Kaijin...precursor to the Renegade Orphenochs, the Taros, and Arms Monsters

Tackle and Gan Gan G...precursor to the Rider Like Warriors

Mr. Kamen Rider
Pretty much, yeah. If you know anything about the development of Kamen Rider in the pre-Kuuga days (late 90's), all this isn't that surprising. I think it wouldn't be as drastic a change with Ryuki & Faiz and we'd have gotten a few more series like Kuuga and Agito (in terms of how the Riders function), but it's a natural progression that would have occurred eventually, with or without Ishinomori.

Although, I gotta add, having seen some of those pre-Kuuga designs, I'm really happy with what we've got because there were some far more radical ideas early on. Like, "Maybe-we-should-just-make-a-new-Barom-1" radical.

Black Version
I know I shouldn't give in to blatant trolling, but...

"True" Kamen Riders don't come about by being cybernetically altered or trained, or having a certain way to henshin or take out a monster. True Kamen Riders exhibit extraordinary bravery to protect life. Over the course of every single Heisei series, the main Rider either starts out as a hero (Kuuga, Agito, Hibiki, Kabuto) or learns what it is to be a true hero and fight to save humanity. That is, in fact, what I love about the Heisei series-- the Riders don't necessarily start out as superhuman heroic kaijin-killing machines. You have Shinji, who was just a guy in the wrong place at the wrong time, but with his heart in the right place. You have Takumi and Wataru, the quintessential reluctant heroes, who learn how important it is to protect the lives and dreams of human and Orpenoch/Fangire alike. You have Ryoutaro, who starts out the series unable even to defend himself, and who ends up with the strength and resolve to defend all of existence. Heck, Kagami in Kabuto starts out desperately wanting to be a hero, but then when he finally gets the gear to be a hero, he finds out it's not nearly as simple as he thought it would be.

The Heisei series, for me, have all been about the journey to becoming a true hero, and that is what I love about them. So if you don't think the Heisei Riders fit your definition of "true" Kamen Riders, then stick with the oldschool stuff. Many of us feel that being a true Kamen Rider isn't about your origin or techniques, it's about your Hero Spirit.

Lurker
I just recently started watching the Kamen Rider series.
And of course I started with Kiva, making my way back (Sorry I've only gone as far back as Amazon) But I gotta say, the series, the main points, never seem to fade.
It's true what Tenraisenpuujin said, it's always about a person, given the chance to become a hero. The situations are different, the characters are as far out there as you can get, and suits and attacks are as spaced apart as the sun and neptune.
I guess a good analogy is, the original riders were like milk. The Heisei Riders are like ice cream.
Both are different, very different. But esentially, there the same.
Now I hope the next generation of Riders come out like cheese. Just as different and foreign to us as the Heisei Riders are to the older guys.

I beleive I have Rider kicked this thread to the curb.

Let's see what happened in the Heisei...

Kaijin can become Riders

Riders using Mecha

Belt had multiple users

Belts activated by cards, phones, etc.

As for everything else...

Riderman henshin first non belt henshin, first rival rider, first Rider with weapons...

Amazon precursor to Gills and the Oni

Stronger and Black RX precursor to Kuuga, Agito, Den-O, and Kiva

Amazon and Black first with ally Kaijin...precursor to the Renegade Orphenochs, the Taros, and Arms Monsters

Tackle and Gan Gan G...precursor to the Rider Like Warriors

Agreed. Speaking of which, this HEISEI ERA KRs did have something that was lacking compared to the Showa Era KRs. The Rider Kicks HAVE to be belt tapped and not as automatic as they are suppossed to be(except for IXA)

Yom Dai Ten OH
How should i say this, err....is true that they have to activate their final blow with their belt. But still both Heisei Riders are actually quite good.

Except for a few exceptions like Tendou or Hibiki, most of the Heisei ones aren't real riders, they are just pansy assed idiots who are better served as comic relief and lacking in any of the serious characteristics that define a KR. If Ishinomori learned that Toei made guys like Wataru and Ryotaro, KR he would be rolling in his grave.