Music Original version vs other renditions

When I visit YouTube or watch some shows on the TV, I see a lot of songs being sang by others each with their own musical renditions. Most of the time, oldies songs are being sang by popular musicians. But there are also times that recent songs are also being rendered by others. Most of the time, I love the original version of a song more than the other renditions. But there are times when other renditions sound a lot better than the original. Just like the song Every Rose Has Its Thornfor instance. This song was sang by Miley Cyrus, Emily Brooke, and even sang in a duet in the movie Rock of ages. :)

Hey, hey Lindbergh! You're a gamer, right? Do you like JRPG's? Because Kate "Erutan" Covington's covers of video game songs are so amaaaazing! She covered a lot of Final Fantasy and some Xenogears tunes in a Celtic style. Her lyrics are a little...campy, but the production is fantastic and it's impressive that she plays all of the instruments as well as sings. There are many instruments. She's a one-woman choir and orchestra. Her covers can also be viewed at her YouTube channel, katethegreat19

There are a lot of great covers out there. A few of my favorites that spring to mind are Johnny Cash's cover of the Nine Inch Nails song "Hurt". There's also the Jimmi Hendrix version of Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower" which might be my favorite song of all time. Bob Dylan even admitted that the Hendrix version was better!

I really like Boyce Avenue! They have such awesome talent for making covers. Hahahah they often take an artist's song and turn it into their own unique version!

I really like their 'A thousand years' cover!

If you just mean a song that was redone by a modern artist, then Lorde's cover of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" is to die for! They just recently used it in the new Assassin's Creed: Unity trailer, but they also used it in the Hunger Games.
Her rendition of the song turns it from a silly and cheesy 80's song, to a powerful ballad and feels like stead fast rebellion turned into song. I'm really in love with this song.

If you mean a band who regularly redo's modern songs to sound like something else, then may I direct your attention to "Scott Bradlee and The Postmodern Jukebox"? :D
(Whoops, you get two songs because I love them both.)
They redo modern songs (Like "Fancy" and "Talk Dirty" linked above) and turn them into completely new songs! They took "Fancy" and redid it in a "1920's Flapper" style, and it sounds amazing! With "Talk Dirty", they redid it in a sort of traditional Yiddish style, with the 2Chainz raps actually in Yiddish! Their version really brings a whole new life to that song! :D They also did an amazing "1920's Gatsby" version of Lana Del Ray's " Young and Beautiful".

A couple of their covers sort of fall flat though. Their Bluegrass style cover of "Blurred Lines" is just hilarious, and their Gothic RB/James Bond cover of "Dark Horse" just sounds so meh to me.

@Kitty Reeves Wow, those are great! I especially like Lorde's redo of 'Everybody wants to rule the world'.

@thread I really like acapellas covers too! Like what they did on pitch perfect:

Lately there's been a lot of acapella cover artists cropping up on youtube lately. And it's really great! :D

If you mean a band who regularly redo's modern songs to sound like something else, then may I direct your attention to "Scott Bradlee and The Postmodern Jukebox"? :D

I love those! There's another band I've heard that does something like that, The Puppini Sisters:

This cover was sort of a one-hit wonder, though. I thought their cover of "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" overused the harmonies, even in a style that's characterized by the tight harmonies--and it just works better when they bring their own voices to songs that are basically swing-style anyway, like "Mr. Sandman".

I love those! There's another band I've heard that does something like that, The Puppini Sisters:

This cover was sort of a one-hit wonder, though. I thought their cover of "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" overused the harmonies, even in a style that's characterized by the tight harmonies--and it just works better when they bring their own voices to songs that are basically swing-style anyway, like "Mr. Sandman".
Oh my God, I totally forgot about the Puppini Sisters! (They're like a modern day Andrew Sisters, which is awesome!) Did you ever hear their "Heart of Glass" cover? It sounds so so good to me. :D I think they did a couple original songs too? I've only listened to a little bit of their stuff though, whoops.
I also don't think I've ever heard their original cover of "Crazy in Love" before! I only ever heard the remix!
I think I actually like the remix better then the original though, oops.

When I visit YouTube or watch some shows on the TV, I see a lot of songs being sang by others each with their own musical renditions. Most of the time, oldies songs are being sang by popular musicians. But there are also times that recent songs are also being rendered by others. Most of the time, I love the original version of a song more than the other renditions. But there are times when other renditions sound a lot better than the original. Just like the song Every Rose Has Its Thornfor instance. This song was sang by Miley Cyrus, Emily Brooke, and even sang in a duet in the movie Rock of ages. :)
The original versions are the rawest form of the song if you ask me, but remakes can help to add a new element and make the song sound fresh.

I really think it's a matter of if the singer makes the song their own. What I mean by that is the singer really needs to make the song sound new, as if they are the one that wrote the song. I can listen to covers as long as they sound original. If I hear a cover and it has a certain blandness to it, I will almost instantly go on a hunt for the original and list to that a couple of times.