Super Moderator
I really didn't see what was that awful about it. Though I was never quite sold on the treasure hunting premise there's a lot else that worked for me.

Frankly, I felt Akashi was a nice and much needed change of pace from the endless string of over hyperactive genki-goons that have taken over the SentaiRed spot.

I think what people are reading as "too perfect" is really just the fact that it's been so damn friggin long since a Red has been shown to be an actual leader type that it's totally foreign to them. I don't even have a problem with hot-head Reds as an idea but I think Toei has gone to the well too many times -in a row- on it and I think people need to get over this idea that if you have a Red who isn't one that this is somehow a "too perfect" character.

Not every SentaiRed needs to be Ban anymore than every American superhero needs to be Peter Parker.

It's ridiculous. People who are good solid leaders do exist in the real world you know. It's not anymore far fetched than the energetic kid who learns and grows and yells "yosha!" to his next power up.

Now does Akashi hold a candle to leader types of the Sentai past? Probably not. They did end up going silly with him at points. But still I say again it was a change of pace and for whatever else might be "wrong" with Boukenger I for one am glad they had the balls to attempt a straight-up leader Red.

Here's hoping we haven't seen the last of that.

Last edited:
Mad Skillz
I think what people are reading as "too perfect" is really just the fact that it's been so damn friggin long since a Red has been shown to be an actual leader type that it's totally foreign to them. I don't even have a problem with hot-head Reds as an idea but I think Toei has gone to the well too many times -in a row- on it and I think people need to get over this idea that if you have a Red who isn't one that this is somehow a "too perfect" character.
I don't think it has to do with it being a foreign concept. I've seen my fair sure of older series, I know a lot of people who grew up with the older shows who still don't like Akashi. One of the biggest reasons I hear is because he seems like a caricature of what the traditional stronger leader type is supposed to be. And even ignoring that, his character was just too static, not to say I don't like mature, developed characters, but I've seen it done better.

Anywho, there are tons of reasons I didn't really like Boukenger, and I won't go into them because I'm sure I've done it tons of times in the past. I did love Eiji and his entire story though, that was the shining spot of Boukenger for me.

Last edited:
Is not impressed right now...
I'm probably not a good authority on this since I only saw the first half of it, but something about Boukenger was really boring to me. I don't know what it was, either. I liked the plots and what they were trying to do with the series, but a certain je ne sais pas didn't quite click with me.

Did it pick up in the second half?

"Let's DRIVING!!!!!"
RE: GekiBlack's comment

Advantages:

-Great Reference to the 30th SS Encyclopedia at the end of every episode.
-Great Theme
-ZUBAAAAN!
-The Questers & the Dark Shadow
-The Music
-The BoukenSilver Saga
-Natsuki-chan & Sakura-san
-The Movie

Disadvantages:

-The Ending
-No overall plot line
-No Character development
-Lack of romance
-The designs of the Ultimate Daibouken
-DaiVoyager
-Gaja & Ryuuon
-The Teamup: grrrr-I hate AkaRed>8(
-Mr. Voice
-Masumi's crooked teeth (Is he aware of a little thing called, a "DENTAL PLAN"?)
-Akashi's obsession with the whole Adventure thing.

As you can see, it had some good episode, and some bad episode, but it wasn't enough to at least make up for it's lack a decent storyline. In other words, "BORRRRING!!!"

Well Boukenger will not be in my top 3 of a SS Series. But I think the story is quite decent.

My Favourite Red will be Time Red so Akashi kind of too funny. But he can be an admirable sometimes. (And laughable when needed :D)

definatly Masumi tooths and too many vilains

and unfortunatly THE CHIEF was too perfect:thumbs: but who can blame him

ATTACK!!!!!