Banned
the series is a 50/50 for me.

half the time its good, but half the time it gets old....its like evengilion meets escalflowne

the redeeming thing is the Soudtrack of the anime is awesome since it came from the creators of Escalflowne. the robots were pretty cool but it was not a very original anime overall since it borrow heavily from everyone else.

the use of Atlantis has been used up in Escaflowne already and the flying human with angels wings was a rehash as well, i figured the same director would realize that but whatever. the director must have a THING for greek/roman/atlantis stuff....

i've finished up to episode 8 and I've gotten tired of it and moved on to claymore....

Banned
i forgot to add this but this makes more sense...this is what the show reminded me of when watching the anime to EP 8....

the loud mouth lead (vandread)
the entire cast (vandread)
the ships that combines and change to multiple robots (vandread)
fruit of life crap in the show (eva)
soundtrack (escaflowne)
atlantis (escalflowne)
angel wing peeps (escalflowne, eva)

I am the law
I've had a fansub of this series for over a year now, and it just ROCKS!!! A cool mech show AND a soundtrack by Yako Kanno (sp?)!! :buttrock:

What the hell are you guys talking about? Aquarian Age (アクエリアンエイジ) is in origin a collectible card game, that has nothing to do with mechas or robots. There has been a live movie released, loosely based on the ccg but as far as I know, no anime or OAV or anime movie.

Aquarian Age is one of the most popular and long lasting collectible card games in Japan. Some view it as Magic the Gathering meets anime artists. But there aren't any mechas or space ships in it, nor are there references to old Roman/Greek mythology. The cards always contain young women as illustrations. Here some examples:

An arcade game based on the CCG, which uses scanable cards, has also been released.

Aside from the fact that some characters have angel wings, nothing you guys talk about even remotely resembles the card game. Check out the official site:
http://www.aquarian-age.org/

Anyway, anyone play the card game? What'd you think of it?

I am the law
Well there is an anime called Aquarion. I didn't notice the "age" in the title until now.

Well there is an anime called Aquarion. I didn't notice the "age" in the title until now.
gah, (poorly) translated titles give me a head ache. Now I get it:

- AQUARIAN AGE (アクエリアンエイジ) = a famous Japanese CCG
- SOUSEI NO AQUARION (創聖のアクエリオン) = a mecha anime series.

Please don't tell me that those fansubbers couldn't even translate the title correctly :sweat:

I watched that series (Sousei no Aquarion) when it aired in Japan and I wasn't very impressed with it. It takes a bit of Getter Robo and mixes in mythology but I feel it fails on both accounts. I got the feeling they just threw some popular concepts together, instead of going their own course. It's not unbearably bad but it's also not a high-flyer IMHO.

Last edited:
I started it, but didn't have the chance to finish it.
I can't remember if I liked it, as a fan of Old School style Giant Robots, would I?

Actually, that's quite blatantly based on Getter Robo.
Yeah, Three ships that combine into three different robots, depending on the order of the ships ... this must be the clearest Getter Robo rip-off ever :sweat:

Yeah, Three ships that combine into three different robots, depending on the order of the ships ... this must be the clearest Getter Robo rip-off ever :sweat:

I wish there were more Getter inspired robots.