I think both endings had their strong points, so I can't really choose between the two :hmm:

A Secret Messenger ...
That alternate ending is okay, but both endings are pretty cliche to to be honest.

The book (at least the Robert Neville part of the book) had the best ending IMO.

This ending is a little better than the theatrical cut, although it has nothing to do with the title I Am Legend.

[hide]In the novel, Robert Neville is the Legend to Vampires, as once Vampires were just legends to humans, before he shoots himself instead of being executed by the smart Vampires. In the theatrical version Will Smith is the legend to humans for creating the cure and going all an hero. So in this ending I Am Legend doesn't fit in anywhere[/hide]

EDIT: Although the new ending is slightly better I still prefer the original theatrical cut over this one, the new ending is a bit too sappy for my tastes, the theatrical cut just has Will Smith going an hero with the crazy Vampires about to smash the glass, it just matches more than the new ending

Last edited:
boogie woogie feng shui
The second ending leaves us with a completely different message, that everything Will has been doing to "cure" the Darkstalkers has been akin to a form of mass murder. That while he was blindly focusing as hard as he could on stopping them, he missed the fact that they had evolved past mindless monsters into creatures capable of feelings and thought.

That's the thing though, the movie was retarded because it couldn't make up its mind about what it wanted the "Darkseekers" to be (except terrible CGI renders, they agreed unanimously on that). Near the beginning, they make it perfectly clear that they're just mindless, angry, adrenaline-dumped maniacs hungry for flesh (which is awesome). Then, they immediately contradict themselves by doing things like making them think and strategize (like when they brought down the light post to trap Neville in his vehicle - WTF?) with superhuman agility, scaling walls and turning a classic science fiction horror story into Barnum and Bailey. How the hell would they get superhuman agility? If you were really just a hormone-fueled monster with no brain, you wouldn't be climbing poles doing Spider-Man ****, you'd just be slashing and tearing and eating. But nooooooooooooo. Not only do we get stupid hokey feats of strength and agility, but now we get an ending that makes the writers look even more like they didn't know what they were doing? Why would they be sentimental? Why would they care about one dying Darkseeker girl? Why didn't they just rip the **** out of him as soon as he opened the door? Who came up with the name "Darkseeker" anyway? This new ending was way too feel-good, and pretty much belied everything that had been established about the villains, and everything that made them scary and cool. Don't even get me started about what idiot was put in charge of designing them.

Unless there's another alternate ending that involves me getting my $8.50 and two hours back, I'm not interested.

Is not impressed right now...
I'm gunna be honest, I didn't like that ending either.

EDIT: In reflection, I actually do prefer the original, it goes out with a bang. This one kinda reminds me of Land of the Dead where they just let the head zombie go and just say "He's just looking for a place to go".

Yeah, I agree. It was certainly "happier," but "happier" does not mean "better."

I feel like this movie lacked a certain je ne sais quoi, but I know that this wasn't it. From the original ending, I got the impression that they couldn't be saved, and I thought that was interesting because not everyone can be saved all the time. Sometimes, they need to be killed.

This ending gives me the impression that all he did was for nothing. I liked that the monsters still had some sort of human aspect in them, but this ending makes no sense unless the parts of the movie is redone because the rest of the movie plays like they're cold hearted and have no soul. Here, it shows that if they were left alone, they'd be fine. That's cool and all, I guess, but that really seems a little anticlimactic.

In retrospect, this ending definitely would have made the film be more well received, but I appreciate the original ending more after watching this. It wasn't the cliche, typical happy ending that was expected. Unfortunately, happy endings are why people go to the movies, so there you go.

Is not impressed right now...
Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say it sucks balls, but it just didn't work for me, at least not without serious tweaking of the movie in the first place.

The first ending leaves us with the following message:

1) Will Smith's character is perfect.
2) Rah rah humans, we'll save the day.

The second ending leaves us with a completely different message, that everything Will has been doing to "cure" the Darkstalkers has been akin to a form of mass murder. That while he was blindly focusing as hard as he could on stopping them, he missed the fact that they had evolved past mindless monsters into creatures capable of feelings and thought.

Choosing a solution that saves everyone rather than just mindlessly killing everything in your path? Now that's a hero.

Which is exactly what the first movie was about, if im not mistaken.