shinkenchange!starninger!
has anyone had a problem watching supersentai shows without buying the merchandise? because i think the merchandise is the show.

I am the law
I'm not planning on buying the merch from either this years Sentai or KR.

A Secret Messenger ...
I rarely buy any merchandise. I have to really like a show before I buy stuff for it.

Except for SIC figures.

I can't even look at them on the web, because they're like crack. I have to fight myself to not buy them.

I think last time I bought show specific merchandise was when HLJ had a bunch of Gransazer stuff on clearance. I would have liked to get some Den-O stuff, but I can't afford anything right now. The only things I'll let myself purchase are the BCI boxsets.

has anyone had a problem watching supersentai shows without buying the merchandise? because i think the merchandise is the show.

1. Eh, it depends. Usually the DX versions of the mecha look nice to me, but they cost way too much for a toy that is bound to have barely any articulation (seriously, Bandai, after almost 30 years of making mecha for Super Sentai series, and despite making that AWESOME Soul of Chogokin Battle Fever Robo, which is the only piece of Sentai merchandise I own, you STILL can't give these things knee joints? :redface2: ). Plus, when it comes to the henshin devices, I usually don't see a need. They make noises, usually look cool, have flashing lights, and you can wear them, that's nice and all but I wouldn't see myself paying $50.00 for something that does just that. :laugh:
2. The merchandise doesn't always make the show, it's just been the case since 2001. You were fairly limited in your merchandise for the older shows, but the shows themselves still managed to be great on their own, and didn't need TONS of merchandise to get high ratings (though, I admit, it always helps...).

I'm not planning on buying the merch from either this years Sentai or KR.

Same. The toys for both of this year's Toei shows don't strike me as anything amazing. Besides, I wanna save some money and get some old school Sentai mecha at Otakon this year :buttrock:

I'm getting a few Kiva souchaku henshin figures and maybe the DX belt. As for sentai, I might get the Go phone.

I collect souchaku henshin figures regardless of me watching the show or not, so either way I'm getting them. As for the belt it depends on how I like it. As for Sentai, I usually don't mechas, but might get a changer if I like it. I usually don't buy sentai merchandise.

Last edited:
I've been wanting to start collecting the henshin devices lately, especially the ones that have a lot of functionality like the Magi Phone and the Digitizer.

Black Version
If a toy is interesting enough to me, I'll get it. Otherwise, I'm perfectly content just watching the show.

I could care less for stuff from the shows. And I don't have the money anyways.:laugh: