Power Rangers Operation Overdrive - "Man of Mercury" II Talk Up!

No there isn't. The whole 'dark' plotline you specifically referred to was 'ripped off'. Changing the context slightly doesn't make it original.

Everything is ripped of to a degree. There is very little to nothing original anymore.

'Different from Boukenger' is not the same as 'original' anyway.

Depends on how it's used. If they take the setup given to them and change/or add something different, and the result is new and different, then it is original.

Still a cliche concept.

Again everything is a cliche at one point or another. The question is does it fit and work regardless of it being cliche.

I'll just take your word for it. Sentai does occasionally use Anime elements.

Not occasionally, frequently. Geki's busy trying to take a page from Naruto.

Which you can really only say because OO's not anywhere near finished yet. Compared to Tetsu, Sam had way more room for varied character development and we all saw what happened there and I didn't see much done with Daggeron either.

By the same token, Anubis and Udonna were far more fleshed out then their sentai counterparts were. So different characters get different amounts of focus, works for me. Spencer's already far more fleshed out and interesting then Makino ever was.

If you didn't think he was good then fair enough but try explaining what's meant to be so challenging about Tyzonn's character. That's the real BS attempt here. So far, he's had two settings: awkward and awkwardly depressed, both of which aren't that far apart.

No the real BS is you trying to compare a known finished product vs. a work in progress that is almost certainly handicapped by the difficulties in getting the actual Boukenger plots.

And you're wrong on Tyzonn, remember he's only been humanoid for two episodes here. You're forgetting his setting as he was in suit.

Seriously, point to some Tyzonn scenes which you think show some 'real acting'.

His ADR stuff for the suit actor. And his face-off with Moltor.

You'd obviously just dismiss Eiji's scenes with his mother and his reactions to various things as well as his vastly more interesting attitude and demeanour as bad acting so I won't bother pointing them out for you to watch. I'll try to keep an open mind.

No I'm dismissing Eijyasha's scenes because I've SEEN THEM BEFORE in Inuyasha and they were FAR superior there. Hence the Boukenger rip-off bores me to tears.

That was more of an aside on my part.

Then why include it?

It was believeable in the way that it makes that a corporation such as SGS would be involved in a rolling series of upgrades and improvements which they pass down to their field operatives when needed. Writing wise, I actually don't think it was anything amazing but it was at least consistent with the world presented.

How was it consistent and how was the world IT presented?

We don't know ANYTHING about SGS or it's motives for crying out loud. Hell, there was heavy speculation that SGS itself would be the final villians after using the Boukenger to collect all the precious.

And why should Satoru have used them? That would've made no difference to the plot although it might at least have been cool to see.

Because they were designed with him in mind apparently. I think that would be MILDLY important.

That was the only problem with it. The actual rescue doesn't really come in until the epilogue.

Oh there were more problems then just that. Like for starters where were the people that presumably manned. Makino makes sense for the Boukenger proper but where was the counterpart for SGS Rescue which is presented as a seperate unit.

Like the Dark Shadow monster in Task 25? They didn't do much with the plot but there was a clear attempt at the 'humanizing' thing you write off in a couple of episodes between his introduction and that task (specifcally 21 and 23).

That's one of his two episodes where he's does something other then his standard mother issues. Something I pointed out previously, the other episode is of course the Peach child episode whatever task that is.

Hah, you've pulled a GPD - Posting relatively positively about the series whilst it's airing and then declaring the worst thing on Earth as soon as the PR version starts (not suggesting a link but the timing's the same).

I wasn't a fan of Boukenger when it was airing. I've said that many times, it just wasn't that compelling to me. I liked MF because it had a relatively compelling story.

And IDK what GPD is.

Where did I say that that stuff was 'perfectly acceptable'? If we were having a similar debate back when DT was airing, I'd have called all that stuff ridiculous too and I would've started on Hailey's ability to pull vehicles out of her arse too. With it being PR I do expect a level of unbelievability but I don't think that such events should be applauded.

The whole Tyzonn becoming Mercury storyline could've been a lot better in terms of avoiding nonsensical, out of nowhere developments if a.) Tyzonne (briefly and not in detail) referred to his rescuer past in Face to Face and b.) there was more than 0 episodes between Face to Face and Man of Mercury.

It's PR and television with a relatively tight time constraints and other things. It's not perfect by anymeans so I don't get the quibbling over the minor stuff like the fast production schedule.

And you know that if they had tried to sneak an episode in between F2F and MoM, there would have been complaining about that too. The development was a little rushed but I'd rather have it now and have all the pieces setup in play so the story can continue.

It's Judgement Time!
Hah, you've pulled a GPD - Posting relatively positively about the series whilst it's airing and then declaring the worst thing on Earth as soon as the PR version starts (not suggesting a link but the timing's the same).

and dammit, name one time I've done that... Cause I can't recall posting positively about any sentai series then retracting my opinions the minute PR airs. I know I changed my mind about Magiranger but that was because the entire 10 God saga just got me disappointed that by the time the finale aired I just wanted to hate it.

(which, to confuse the matter even more, I think I can appreciate Magiranger even more now thanks to disliking Boukenger so much. And I'm even starting to appreciate Boukenger just slightly because of the lack of interest I'm having in Operation Overdrive. My opinions are very fickle. I have first impressions which sometimes won't stick and sometimes will. Anywho..)

And see this writers? You know you have a bad season when the fans don't talk about the season but would rather argue why Sentai sucks/rules versus it's PR counter part.

btw, havent seen this episode, probably never will. I feel liberated by that somehow.

I didn't see it but after seeing Behind the Scene I see no point on, all that happened was probably mercury man getting his morpher and having some shitty bouken screwed plot to it.

I can't recall anything taken from Bouken in MOM II other than the Gyros, which really isn't that big of a thing.

Oh, and Norg drags the Fearcats DEAD BODIES into the ice cavern for Flurious to insert the Gyros.

Eye See You
I enjoyed Man of Mercury alot. Power Rangers with some actual fucking emotion and drama... WOW, I haven't seen that in awhile. The comedy bit was tamed down aswell. The background music was also more dramatic than usual.

Ty and Ronny...... could this be another relationship tease that will just end up going down the toilet again just like Tori/Blake, Kira/Trent, Nick/Madison?.

Eye See You
Also, what is the PROO name for the Siren Builder, GoGoFire, GoGoAider, and GoGoPolice?.

Ronny, looked extra sexy in these episodes too. Hottest Yellow Ranger since Maya.

background music was also more dramatic than usual.

It's been YEARS since the BGM's been as good as it has been. Dumping Bruce Lynch has proven to be one of the smartest things Disney has done.

Also, what is the PROO name for the Siren Builder, GoGoFire, GoGoAider, and GoGoPolice?.

Siren Builder = Flash Point Megazord

Aider + Police = Rescue Runner 1 and Rescue Runner 2

Last edited: