Has Reality TV Ruined Television?

I have talked and talked and talked about this with my friends. Back in the day when I was a young child - well, I am not hat old lol. That sounded bad. But when I was younger there were an abundance of fictional TV shows. Dramas, mystery, comedies, thrillers. All sorts of fictional shows and a lot of them were good.

But in this new era of television it seems as if reality TV has taken over. Wherever you turn, there is a reality tv shows on and washed up celebs are getting their own reality shows lol.

Many seem to be like Marmite when it comes to reality TV shows. They either love them or they hate them.

So, in your opinion, has reality TV ruined TV?

There are too many reality shows that are high lighting people behaving badly. Some of them are not too bad, but the majority are.

To be honest I think the major part of the actual and decreasing state of the television is due to reality tv yeah, all people want to watch right now it's the karda$hians and similar, or bimbo shore, can't see what turns people on these kind of programs I mean, I can tolerate the karda$hians, but the shores jesus, it only shows the decreased state of this generation.

I really dislike these kind of programs. I mean, fair enough, a one off or maybe a second version, but don't keep them going like Big Brother. That ran it's course years and years ago and should never be allowed to be brought back now. TV companies need to be more creative with these programs. Big Brother is just basically for "poor celebrities" which are out of work now.

There are too many reality shows that are high lighting people behaving badly. Some of them are not too bad, but the majority are.

Even though I am a really massive fan of reality television, I can recognize that most of the behavior on most reality television shows is absolutely ridiculous and I wouldn't want my children sitting down and watching most of the shows. Especially the shows that come on MTV and stations like that - like Love and Hip Hop and Basketball Wives. Bad Girls Club. They are just all about fighting and drama, ut negative drama, and manipulation and story lines like that.

Few reality shows are positive shows, and because it is called reality television, it is easy for teenagers and children to think that this is the way that our world really is, when it is not.

I can't say reality t.v. has ruined anything. For one thing, most of those shows are situationally scripted anyway and are not as reality based as they try to come off to be. It's like asking if smartphones have ruined human interaction. It's just an added dimension to communication as reality shows are an added dimension to television. Love it or leave it, reality T.V. doesn't seem to be going anywhere, especially with shows like Duck Dynasty and Deadliest Catch continuing to make big money and big stars out of the cast.

Oh yeah, it's only ruined itself. It hasn't ruined any other part of TV in my opinion. Apart from it seems to have taken over some channels like MTV, but then that's been happening for years.

I'm with everyone else on this. Yes, reality TV has ruined TV. I used to be a fan of Big Brother, back in the day when we knew nothing about reality shows. Now, it's all over done, and every other person thinks they can just come up with a reality show and become famous.

I wouldn't say ruined but it has changed it quite a bit. I hoping that reality comes back to earth and stops being so popular soon. Hopefully this is just a phase.